Continuing revelation

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Continuing revelation

Post by Big ned »

Elder Holland explains one of the doctrines that separates the LDS church from other christian sects.

http://www.meridianmagazine.com/youtube ... words.html
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Continuing revelation

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Is that what happened when the mormons started letting blacks into the church 20 years after society at large had accepted the civil rights movement? Seems like the mormon gods 'revelation' is always a day late and a dollar short. I wonder when they will have the gay revelation?
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

It's not continued revelation, it's continual capitulation.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

Black's were never refused membership in the church.. they were one of the few churches at the time that did not segregate their congregations. Get your facts straight.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

So sorry, they were refused membership until 1968 and they were refused the priesthood until 1978.
They still do teach that dark skin is the curse of Cain, though they have had another 'revelation' that it is spiritually dark skin, not the actual dark skin. How convenient.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I am wondering if the recent posts by Big Ned are his contribution to witnessing.
He hasn't been around for a while, or at least not terribly active, now suddenly, he is posting these
"informational" posts.

Does this count as witnessing? Can you do cyber-missionary work?
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

No gardengirl, I left the forum because it had become far to childish and insulting to anyone who has religious leanings. Hardly anyone here is religious anymore, just religion bashers. The Mods have done a nice job of cleaning things up so that we can actually have a religious discussion on the religion forum again. That is what I was hoping for.

As to the false statement made by danky... here is the accurate history of the church. while the priesthood was withheld from the black until the 70's (as per Brigham Young) they have always been able to be members fo the church from the very inception. Women don't hold the priesthood either... neither do those who are not qualified or not worthy.

The first black Mormon baptized was Elijah Abel in 1832 he later came across the plains with Brigham Young's company in 1847.1 Elijah was even given the priesthood and held it until he died. Others were baptized and a number of black Mormons came to Utah, in fact the 1860 Utah Census stated that there were 59 black Mormons living in Utah.

The Mormon Church took a strong stand against slavery, which was extremely unpopular at the time. The Prophet Joseph Smith when asked about the situation of blacks said, "They came into the world slaves mentally and physically. Change their situation with the whites, and they would be like them. They have souls, and are subjects of salvation."2 At the time most people believed that blacks did not have souls and were therefore inferior to whites. Joseph Smith also supported the unpopular view that if blacks were given the same education and situation as whites that their would be no difference between the two races.

In a letter discussing the subject of slavery, Joseph Smith stated, "It makes my blood boil within me to reflect upon the injustice, cruelty, and oppression of the rulers of the people. When will these things cease to be, and the Constitution and the laws again bear rule?"3 Joseph Smith even ran for President of the United States on an anti-slavery platform.

To correct your innacurate postings.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Thanks, that was interesting.. so why then all the inaccurate info out there? For example I was told people who were not white couldn't get into the highest level of the Kingdom
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

So normaM that would mean the head of JCoLDS would be ban being he is not white. Being that he is from middle East. Interesting Hmmm... that could cause a problem at a leadership meeting in the kingdom of heaven.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

That is a completely false statement. Holding the priesthood has nothing to do with entering the highest degree of the celestial kingdom. Personal worthiness does.

I'm afraid there is much misinformation about the LDS church and many who are willing to spread it. The Prophet right now is Thomas Monson.. he is not of middle east descent. There are, however several of the high ranking general authorities that are of african descent and other backgrounds.

Be careful where you get your information from.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

So Big ned than what you are saying is Jesus Christ is not head JCoLDS. But this person known as Thomas Monson is. Interesting thank-you for that.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Dear Friends,

I hope other "Continuing revelations" are not too off topic but,

I recently enjoyed a visitation, on my stoop (if I can be so East-coast about it) with three members, all very attractive and all very Korean, from the Elohim Academy which is the name of a church that belongs to the "World Mission Society Church of God" which was founded by, and I kid you not, Ahn Sahng-Hong who is the second coming of Christ.

This was very fortunate because I missed an opportunity some months ago to have a chat with them, being that I was getting into my car to go to work and could not, I say could not, under any circumstances, be reserved for even the slightest, the slightest, amount of time as I was very nearly running late already. This was not the opportune time for pamphlets and diagrams (which I'll get to in detail soon enough) and explanations and Korean-English induced reiterations, go-backs, clarifications and so forth. But, I do have to say this, they get all my gold stars and mad props for the attempted half-in/half-out of car good news spreading/conversion attempt.

Anyways that was the missed opportunity which despite the Dickens induced inflections (and I'm feeling a little 'Potter' coming through too, which is odd because I've never read the books) that I'm uncontrollably channelling right now, I say right now Hairy, I say despite the said inflections I can assure you on what lowly honour and respectability I have left to my name, the name of Mr. Hellomynameis, despite all that, I do and sincerely assure you that this story is quite true, the encounters and HISTORICAL evidences, all, quite true. My dear and respectable friends, your esteemed relations with myself, Mr. Hellomynameis going back no short time, in fact quite a long time and with many fond memories is what I now vouchsafe upon when I tell you truthfully, that this is no mere snap-switch tale of fancy.

now as I was saying, I was extremely vexed by this missed opportunity and I must here admit that my vexation was not honourable. Indeed it was quite selfish, as it was borne of my lowly curiosity that these students, these apostles, these fine individuals! That these people so much more humbler than myself had, in fact, sparked within me. As I was saying, I had the remarkable fortune to have them pay a visitation to my stoop (forgive the Easternership) where upon they asked if I too was a Christian, to which I replied (to break it lightly) "No, I used to be but now I am an Agnositc" to which the reply, with tell-tale Asiatic giggles, was "oh so you are Christan, do you know about the Holy Mother?". Now perhaps it was the exotic beauty that only coy females of the fair Oriental possess that disarmed me from immediately and without hesitance jumping fully into the esoteric mystery of the "Holy Mother". indeed I think that it was their charm that made me, with my deficiency of willpower, Hairy, to respond first to the claim, nay the misunderstanding, that they had my spiritual biases confused, so I said "I believe I should clarify, before we go any further, so that you know where I, myself and my opinions and line of questioning come from. I am an atheist, I do not believe in God."

"atheist" drew out the most innocent reply from these two maidens, did I mention there were two? The reply being "Oooooh, athiest?" and the following conversation being "Yes, there are Deists that believe, in a generalized way, that there is a God or likewise power that created existence put remains indifferent and uninvolved in the goings on and daily routine of humanity and there are theists who have the persuasion that you do, an involved god, to put it generally, and then there are atheists, myself included, that do not believe in God." to which they said "Oh, atheist, could you spell that for us, we do not understand that term *giggle*" and a pen and paper was promptly and gently handed to me in good grace and on said paper I wrote down "atheist"and then all parties were satisfied, at least with the pen-scrolled significance of the word "atheist"

They were then joined, I did say there were three of them didn't I? by they're compatriot, a fine looking gentleman, around the same age as the two maidens, I'd say, based on my repertoire of daily dealings, that the entire flock of them were about 19-23 birthdays old. They were joined by this gentleman and between the four of us we came to a very pleasing understanding of where our beliefs (and in my case lack of one) rested.

They then produced a multitude of the aforementioned pamphlets, full colour, lamented, about 36 centimetres wide by 25 tall, folded once over in the fashion of a poor book that has been bereft of its noble signatures and left only a single page. This pamphlet had a basic diagram, in the fashion commonly known to be in-fashion in the airline safety business, the kind found tucked into a pouch in the rear of the seats, most usually the one directly in front of you. the very same one that outlines the safest procedure, constructed from the best reasonings and more importantly evidence, EVIDENCE, of how to position one's self and later exit the fuselage in the case of a most unfortunate emergency.

That, my most honourable friends, is how the Elohim Academy laid out their pamphlets and that also is the style they employed.

Now the content of these artful pieces was to explain to the viewer in clear to understand English (and with pictographic aids) that life, all life, requires a mother, and that the bible, the very bible I know you've read through many a time, far more than my lowly self, have read through and know intimately to the extent that I haven't the need to sully myself further by rudely, and with full knowledge of that rudeness, preach to you, my good friend, what the bible says or does not say.

We all know it says that God gave life to man and to all things that are alive. And the good people, all three of them on my stoop (pardon the Easterness coming out), logically pointed this out along with the fact that all things alive also logically need a mother.

That was Ahn Sahng-Hong's, who is the second coming of Christ, message. It was plainly presented and easily transposed that first there was the age of the holy father and then the age of the holy son (as these hierarchical things logically go) and then, and only then, and upon us now, the age of the holy mother.

What a triumph of enlightened reason and non ill-intentioned persuasion was visited upon me by those three emissaries.

But now I fear that my ramblings have gone on for far too long, and indeed I have no other honourable recourse but to offer you the information, however incomplete it is when it is without one of its students there to guide you. I offer to you a more concise and complete version that is unfortunately still fully lacking in the depth and warmth provided by the too rare human inter-juxtaposition, this tome, below, is my offering.

Here it is, a tome, for you, my honourable and fondest and deepest friends.

I do indeed fear that I have gone on and taken up far too much of your most precious and limited resource, time.

For your time and for my long windedness I can only reciprocate any likewise response or even lack of one, whichever is called for based upon your learned reason. I can only reciprocate to you in the best of limited abilities an expenditure of like resources, for you who has conferred a Boon

.............................................................................................."On
......................................................................................................"One
..............................................................................................................."Who
.........................................................................................................................."Is
................................................................................................................................"Ever yours,
....................................................................................................................................................."Hello Mynameis"
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

I got a "continuing revelation" for ya 'all. All philosophy isn't just about religion, or even have anything to do with religion.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

The discussion is on "continuing revelation"... Thomas Monson is the Prophet and president of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday saints. He is the head of the church on the earth who receives revelation from God.

Jesus was a Jew.

Cleared that up for Ya?
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

I don't care if it clears it up for "WTHWYT" . So your same as Catholics you have wingnut in this case Thomas Monson is your pope. So anyone and their dog can be prophet well my money is on the dog.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”