Jesus said

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Jesus said

Post by steven lloyd »

roadrunner24k wrote:Outside of christian circles is there any evidence that their ever was someone by the name of "Jesus Christ". If there is not than I would have to say Jesus said nothing.

In the year 2009 - 2009 years after the death of ..... ?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

ok, it is the 7th sign.. SL typed what I was thinking. Soon he and I will be BFF and heaven forbid no-one wants that ( well, except for SL lol)
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

:smt035
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

steven lloyd wrote:
roadrunner24k wrote:Outside of christian circles is there any evidence that their ever was someone by the name of "Jesus Christ". If there is not than I would have to say Jesus said nothing.

evidence?
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Hellomynameis wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

evidence?

Of what ? That it is the year 2009 ? That's what it says on my calendar :129:
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

steven lloyd wrote::smt035

Great justice!
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

steven lloyd wrote:
Hellomynameis wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

evidence?

Of what ? That it is the year 2009 ? That's what it says on my calendar :129:

Duuuude, I was so like, thinking, that you were like using the calender as secular evidence of the Chirst, man. Dude, you blew my mind.

Rock on man!

Actually re-reading everything helped a lot. :cursor:
- Carl Sagan
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Hellomynameis wrote: Duuuude, I was so like, thinking, that you were like using the calender as secular evidence of the Chirst, man. Dude, you blew my mind.

Secular evidence – no (I am making no claims here as to who or what Jesus Christ is or was). More like historical evidence from a more cultural anthropological perspective. Do you have another explanation why we (society) consider this to be the year 2009?

Gotta go for supper now, but I’m definitely interested in considering alternative explanations.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

steven lloyd wrote:Secular evidence – no (I am making no claims here as to who or what Jesus Christ is or was). More like historical evidence from a more cultural anthropological perspective. Do you have another explanation why we (society) consider this to be the year 2009?

Gotta go for supper now, but I’m definitely interested in considering alternative explanations.

Have a good supper!

I would consider "historical evidence from a more cultural anthropological perspective" as secular, just so you know where I'm coming from.

My explanation would, I assume, be pretty much the same as yours, that in 525AD a monk named Dionysius created the 'AD' system based upon a best estimate of Christs incarnation, which is now believed to be inaccurate, not that it matters. This system was adopted into the Gregorian calendar which we currently use and the change from Julian to Gregorian was spurned by a want of accuracy throughout the Roman Catholic church.

or something, somewhat, maybe, similar to that.

I would certainly agree that our calendar system points to historical evidence of Christendom and its influence throughout the ages, as do many other things, but I don't see how it could be used as evidence that Jesus (of the Bible) actually existed. Perhaps this is were I misunderstood you, I thought you were pointing out the Calender system to roadrunner24k as qualifying for the 'evidence' he is seeking.

Not that I am denying his existence, I am quite willing to defer to the scholarly consensus that the man did exist. To me, it matters not.

Anyhoo, I hope your supper was delectable,

Cheers.
- Carl Sagan
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Hellomynameis wrote: I would consider "historical evidence from a more cultural anthropological perspective" as secular, just so you know where I'm coming from.

Ah, so are so correct. Obviously I was distracted (1” baseball cut grade AAA top sirloin on the BBQ w/ a bottle of Australian Shiraz “breathing” on the counter screaming “drink me, drink me”). A momentary mind fart but I think you can appreciate where I was coming from.

Hellomynameis wrote: I would certainly agree that our calendar system points to historical evidence of Christendom and its influence throughout the ages, as do many other things, but I don't see how it could be used as evidence that Jesus (of the Bible) actually existed. Perhaps this is were I misunderstood you, I thought you were pointing out the Calender system to roadrunner24k as qualifying for the 'evidence' he is seeking. Not that I am denying his existence, I am quite willing to defer to the scholarly consensus that the man did exist. To me, it matters not.

Skipping the incarnation and “Son of God” thing, there is more reason to believe that a man existed who is now named Jesus Christ than there is to believe he didn’t (I am open to considering evidence to the contrary). Apart from the fact an entire religion was inspired by his existence (noting that a Roman Emperor consolidated Christian and Pagan festivals to accommodate the new religion), it is worthy to note that both the Muslim and Bahai’i religions acknowledge the historical existence of Jesus Christ.

As you’ve pointed out, the scholarly consensus is that Jesus Christ did exist (by whatever name). It matters not what you believe about the significance of his existence in a spiritual sense, but it seems a desperate stretch to suggest the man did not exist at all.

Hellomynameis wrote: Anyhoo, I hope your supper was delectable, Cheers.

T’was, thanks (burp).
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

steven lloyd wrote:As you’ve pointed out, the scholarly consensus is that Jesus Christ did exist (by whatever name). It matters not what you believe about the significance of his existence in a spiritual sense, but it seems a desperate stretch to suggest the man did not exist at all.

Desperate is almost an understatement, I don't know of any positive claims or reasoning re: his non-existence.
- Carl Sagan
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

im jesus and i say evryone get stoned
GO CANUCKS GO
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

westsidebud wrote:im jesus and i say evryone get stoned

2000 year ago +/- that would really hurt and you would be dead.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Hey now, you never know, he may be clever enough to work a good pun into his post. I doubt it, but stranger things have happened.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

So back in the day when they actually used to stone women for committing adultery, a poor young woman was buried up to her neck in the sand with a group of men ready to do the dead. Just as they approached ready to start hurling their rocks a long haired and bearded man dressed in long white robes came around the corner and shouted:

“Stop! Ye who have not sinned shall cast the first stone.”

Awe inspired by His presence and the profoundness of His words the men cowered back.

The women in the group quite chagrined over this interruption picked up their own rocks and made ready to proceed. Just as they approached ready to start hurling their rocks the same long haired and bearded man dressed in long white robes shouted:

“Stop! Ye who have not sinned shall cast the first stone.”

Awe inspired by His presence and the profoundness of His words the women cowered back.

Suddenly a lone woman picked up a rock and approached the girl ready to throw. The long haired and bearded man dressed in long white robes shouted:

“Stop!” but before he could say anything else the woman had thrown her rock and struck the young woman in the head killing her instantly.

The long haired and bearded man dressed in long white robes looked at the woman who had delivered the fatal blow and said:

“Jesus Christ mother!!! Sometimes you really pi$$ me off.”

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”