Bountiful BC do you agree or disagree

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Libelle
Guru

Bountiful BC do you agree or disagree

Post by Libelle »

There was a program on the other night about Ploygamy in Colorado City, and I found it to be so very disturbing how religion can be transformed into control over others lives. The women from an early age are gearing up to become wives and mommas, as the more kids you have the better. This one woman who was sick all through her pregancy was shunned as it was HER fault that she was sick as she must be sinning some how. And when the child is born to show affection like kisses and hugs is also a no no ( not too sure of this reason will look it up), I could not imagine no kissing and hugging my little girl. They story also touched on Bountiful BC as they pass women back and forth between the two sects, for a number of reasons. My question is why is this still allowed in Canada and in our provience no less. I understand that in Canada we are not the norm when it comes to having single marriages but it's the whole idea behind it that bothers me. These women do not have a choice and are doing it in the name of religion and are treated like nothing more than a breeding machine. I was reading that if the government fights the people of Bountiful one of their arguments will be Gay marriage is allowed, so plural marriages should be as well. WOW that is rich, as people entering into a single marriage whether it be a gay or straight union do it as they LOVE their partner. How many of these girls love their partner that is 20+ years their senior and they had no say in the marriage? This needs to stop this abuse of women and since they do not have a voice as theirs is over shadowed by the men who will speak for them? I will will you?
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Bountiful BC do you agree or disagree

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Mr Danksworth wrote:http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/bustupinbountiful/multimedia.html
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/bustupinbountiful/video.html

Thank-you, I can not watch it now as my little one is awake and needs me every 2 seconds but when she goes for her dreams later I will watch them, thank-you.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

There was a program on the other night about Ploygamy in Colorado City, and I found it to be so very disturbing how religion can be transformed into control over others lives

All religion is designed for this purpose.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

religion is one of the few things that will stop government and law enforcement in their tracks. They dont want to be seen as taking any sides ............... being politically correct is SO important you know :eyeballspin:
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

gardengirl wrote:There was a program on the other night about Ploygamy in Colorado City, and I found it to be so very disturbing how religion can be transformed into control over others lives

No, all religion is not designed for this purpose, it is the people who take it to the extremes and you can find them everywhere just not in church. Above all the laws of the land should and must come before any religion no matter what, if it is not OK with some groups well my only sugestion is to move. King Henry V111 became the head of England and if our government wanted to do the same they could do so as well.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Libelle wrote:
gardengirl wrote:There was a program on the other night about Ploygamy in Colorado City, and I found it to be so very disturbing how religion can be transformed into control over others lives

No, all religion is not designed for this purpose, it is the people who take it to the extremes and you can find them everywhere just not in church. Above all the laws of the land should and must come before any religion no matter what, if it is not OK with some groups well my only sugestion is to move. King Henry V111 became the head of England and if our government wanted to do the same they could do so as well.

I don't really understand your reference to King Henry VIII.
He started the Church of England because he wanted to divorce his wife.
He was the King of England, but the Catholic Church had control over the rights of marriage.

You don't think religion is designed to control people?
Religions tell people what they are allowed to eat. (example: fish on Friday, no pork)
When they are allowed or not allowed to eat. (example: Ramadan, lent)
Who they are allowed to marry.
What social activities they are allowed to participate in (example: dancing).
When they are allowed to work and when they must not work.
(example: Seventh Day Adventist Church)
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

While you can say all religion sets rules for their followers, it is inaccurate to say that religion is designed to control people. It would be like saying the purpose of government is to control people just because that is what governments often try to do.

Back to Bountiful... this is a clear case of a paedophilia using religion to have sex with the women and girls of his choice.

Also, I was down in the Creston area recently and could not find this Bountiful place. Does anyone know where exactly bountiful is in relation to Creston?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

The practice of ploygamy has to stop it is so sad that girls are being forced into it. Of coures Mr. Blackmore would have us believe all is wonderful there, and none of the women would ever dispute that for fear that their children would be hurt or themselves. I can not wait for this to go to court.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

gardengirl wrote:
Religions tell people what they are allowed to eat. (example: fish on Friday, no pork)

Strange, I used to go to a United Church, none of those applied... how easy to generalize.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

zzontar wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

Strange, I used to go to a United Church, none of those applied... how easy to generalize.

I gave specific examples from a variety of churches.
The United Church has long been one of the most liberal of the protestant churches.
They have had gay clergy for quite some time.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

You also said this.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

zzontar wrote:

You also said this.

Just to clarify I wrote There was a program on the other night about Ploygamy in Colorado City....not Gardengirl.
There will always be people who use religion to suit their own purpose as in the case of Bountiful. But where does the law of the land come into effect? As this opens up the gates for people to do and say what they wish as it's religion based. for an example you are not to pray with anything on your head, well what happens if I like to ride my bike and pray, should i be exempt from a ticket as I did not have a helmet on due to religious beliefs? When will this end.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

zzontar wrote:

You also said this.

I stand by that. The amount and type of control varies widely. More liberal churches obviously have looser control. However, whether you follow the 10 commandments, or some other belief system, the framework serves the same purpose, to control the behaviour of its members.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”