Bountiful BC do you agree or disagree

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Re: Bountiful BC do you agree or disagree

Post by Glacier »

gardengirl wrote:
zzontar wrote:
gardengirl wrote:There was a program on the other night about Ploygamy in Colorado City, and I found it to be so very disturbing how religion can be transformed into control over others lives

All religion is designed for this purpose.

You also said this.

I stand by that. The amount and type of control varies widely. More liberal churches obviously have looser control. However, whether you follow the 10 commandments, or some other belief system, the framework serves the same purpose, to control the behaviour of its members.

Could it follow that the purpose of parents is to control their children because we set rules up for them to follow also? The purpose of Scouts is to control children by setting out rules for their members to follow? The purpose of the military is to control its members? Are you saying all organizations are set up to control its members or just religious ones? Sorry, I am a bit confused. :9923:
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Absolutely I control my kids.

Stating religion is a control mechanism says nothing about anything else on Earth being used to control people.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

jennylives wrote:Absolutely I control my kids.

Stating religion is a control mechanism says nothing about anything else on Earth being used to control people.

Glacier was reading my mind, such a good point. I guess you could add common sense and morals to the list as well. I do not understand what you are trying to say jennylives. Please explain :9923:
Equity will not suffer a wrong to be without a remedy
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

A lot of religious 'people' misapply isolated scriptures taken out of context to control others. Some of them just happen to be leaders in religious organizations.

People, however, must ultimately learn to control themselves.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

kccayenne wrote:A lot of religious 'people' misapply isolated scriptures taken out of context to control others. Some of them just happen to be leaders in religious organizations.

I agree with your last point only so much. The girls and women in polygamy have no control over their lives as they are brought up to believe it is their "duty" to become a wife and produce lots of children. They have no way out as most have a very limited education they have almost no concept of what the outside world is like. And if they do leave it is not as easy as just walking out the door and taking control of their own male dominated lives.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

Out of topic but this is my 100th post, I know wow so exciting, but it is for me :cheerleader: :cheerleader:
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Libelle wrote:
kccayenne wrote:A lot of religious 'people' misapply isolated scriptures taken out of context to control others. Some of them just happen to be leaders in religious organizations.

I agree with your last point only so much. The girls and women in polygamy have no control over their lives as they are brought up to believe it is their "duty" to become a wife and produce lots of children. They have no way out as most have a very limited education they have almost no concept of what the outside world is like. And if they do leave it is not as easy as just walking out the door and taking control of their own male dominated lives.

Apart from the polygamy issue, that does not sound all that different from the history of the Catholic Church. Birth control is not permitted, they are basically forced to produce as many little Catholics as their body will allow. Divorce was not permitted.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
chickenlittle
Fledgling

Post by chickenlittle »

Why would I want multiple wives? One is enough thank you very much.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Libelle wrote:Out of topic but this is my 100th post, I know wow so exciting, but it is for me :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Congrats.
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

gardengirl wrote:
Libelle wrote:

Apart from the polygamy issue, that does not sound all that different from the history of the Catholic Church. Birth control is not permitted, they are basically forced to produce as many little Catholics as their body will allow. Divorce was not permitted.

Birth control may not be permitted but they also have the choice not to have sex, no sex no children. As well you could get an annulment from the church. But there still is a choice, in ploygamy there is none. Thank-you for the congrats :sunshine:
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Libelle wrote:
gardengirl wrote:
Libelle wrote:

Birth control may not be permitted but they also have the choice not to have sex, no sex no children. As well you could get an annulment from the church. But there still is a choice, in ploygamy there is none. Thank-you for the congrats :sunshine:

Do you really think that women have the choice to say "No" to their husbands?
I guess that explains all those French Catholic families in Quebec who have 15 children and they live on welfare.

An annulment does not provide a woman with the same rights as a divorce.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annulment_(Catholic_Church)

In the Roman Catholic Church, annulment is a canonical procedure according to the Church's Canon Law whereby an ecclesial tribunal judges whether the bond of matrimony in a particular case was entered into validly.

What do you bet that the tribunal consists of men only.

You should read the article if you think that this is not a prime example of women, in particular being under the control of the Men of the church.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

the christian/catholic system was set up to control ppl.the rightwingers in the united states want to use christianity to tell the yanks what they can and can not do.hence gays and lesbians cant get married in california anymore.and shooting abortion providers in the states is disgusting, yet the rightwing will justify by saying god says its okay to shoot them.
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

now back to bountifull.our attorny general does not have the golfballs to chargehim, instead they want the supreme court of canada to make a ruling first.and im not posting a link to that info.look it up yourselfs
GO CANUCKS GO
Libelle
Guru

Post by Libelle »

westsidebud wrote:now back to bountifull.our attorny general does not have the golfballs to chargehim, instead they want the supreme court of canada to make a ruling first.and im not posting a link to that info.look it up yourselfs

All righty then! Sorry you are having a bad day. I really do not care where the ruling comes from it can come from England for all I care, just as long as it stops the practice of Polygamy in all of Canada. As for the catholic arguement, I do see your point gardengirl, but the way of life is so controlled the children can not even colour with crayons as an example. The girls in a catholic household DO have a choice if they want to go to college or not, even if they want to be married or not, there is no such choice for the woman/girls of Polygamy. And the boys are discarded like trash as they are competition for the older men. Now to look up that link...
http://thetyee.ca/Blogs/TheHook/Rights- ... ygamyCase/
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

GO CANUCKS GO

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”