Can a Jehovah Witness explain this?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Can a Jehovah Witness explain this?

Post by steven lloyd »

FunkyBunch wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:...what religion doesn't think all others are misguided?

Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism etc.

The Bahá'í
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

The whole JW list of do's & don't to me is just whacked. Sorry to anyone on here of this faith
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Mr. Personality wrote:
newsmediaguy wrote:bottom line is religion is the root of all evil and all wars

Money and power is the root of all evil and all wars.
Religion is the guise that is used to cover it.

Exactly. Money. The lust for power and control. The need for economic expansionism. The desire for political autonomy. These are the reasons nations and groups go to war. Sometimes religion is used to justify this action and even recruit and motivate fighters, such as the Crusades being used to justify economic expansionism, but not actually because of religion. In the west we have used the concepts of freedom and democracy to justify this action and even recruit and motivate fighters. Bottom line must be that freedom and democracy is the root of all evil and all wars.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

While that's a good portion of it, the want of it is what causes the wars and hatred and persecution. If we didn't want it, we wouldn't be fighting for it. Therefore, I postulate that it is humans who are the cause of wars and hatred being that money and power are merely human-made objects and ideals.

I did read an interesting viewpoint on something quite similar to what you just posted Steven in a philosophy-ish book.

A number Shinto philosophers/believers/practitioners etc saw Christianity as a method of subverting other countries and cultures to the Western style economy and value system.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr. Personality »

WTHWYT wrote:The whole JW list of do's & don't to me is just whacked. Sorry to anyone on here of this faith

I would say a decent portion of it is, but no worse than any other religion.
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

steven lloyd wrote:
FunkyBunch wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:...what religion doesn't think all others are misguided?

Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism etc.

The Bahá'í

I didn't see Catholocism, Judaism, Protestantism or Islaam in there.

But they're ok because they've been around longer and don't knock on your door.
Jehovah's Witnesses are basically just another protestant religion.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Mr. Personality wrote:and what religion doesn't think all others are misguided?

Of course there is nothing wrong with thinking that (as far as I can tell).

How about we try and name one poster on here that doesn't think Mr. personality is misguided in some way? Or one poster who doesn't think Glacier is misguided? Or Steven Lloyd? newsmediaguy?
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

Glacier wrote:
Mr. Personality wrote:and what religion doesn't think all others are misguided?

Of course there is nothing wrong with thinking that (as far as I can tell).

How about we try and name one poster on here that doesn't think Mr. personality is misguided in some way? Or one poster who doesn't think Glacier is misguided? Or Steven Lloyd? newsmediaguy?

Exactly.
No one agrees with everyone.
newsmediaguy

Post by newsmediaguy »

you guys like picking don't you
acrossthebridge

Post by acrossthebridge »

Well as a ex jw I can tell you they do not like people who think for themselves. I had more questions than answers, and when I asked them I was labeled as going against them. Here is one question I could never get answered. Why do they celebrate the birth of babies by having baby showers, but its against the religion having birthdays? What is the difference? both involves giving gifts, and having cake? Both comes down to celebrating the birth of a child.

:omigawd:
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

acrossthebridge wrote:Well as a ex jw I can tell you they do not like people who think for themselves. I had more questions than answers, and when I asked them I was labeled as going against them. Here is one question I could never get answered. Why do they celebrate the birth of babies by having baby showers, but its against the religion having birthdays? What is the difference? both involves giving gifts, and having cake? Both comes down to celebrating the birth of a child.

:omigawd:

Yeah, I have to agree with that. The only answers I ever got vaguely referred to 2 seperate stories in the bible where people died at birthday parties. I'll let someone else quote the verse, if anyone feels so inclined.
carrickgirl

Post by carrickgirl »

Can anyone out there tell me if it is okay for the daughter of a "elder" in the Jehovah Witness "church" to get married in the MYSTIC Pyramid at Summerhill winery? Would she not be disfellowshipped, shunned by all other Jehovah Witnesses including her family? After all they can't eat Lucky charms cereal or say "good luck". Wouldn't the Mystic Pyramid be seen as the ultimate Pagan ritual?
Mr. Personality
Lord of the Board

I would think it's seen as a winery.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

What about the pyramid at their founder's gravesite?
http://www.freeminds.org/organization/r ... etery.html
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
carrickgirl

Post by carrickgirl »

Are there any female "elders"? Do you not teach that a woman should be submissive to her husband? Do women in the JW faith have minds of their own and exactly what is their roll in the "church"? Why do the JW's deter higher education? Why can't my granddaughter join scouts? Why can't my grandchildren participate in organized sports? Can a JW get a tattoo? If not, why not? Ever seen a JW with a beard? Is it evil to have hair on your face? Perhaps someone can forward this to an elder as I know one who's daughter does have a tattoo and I'm just curious if they have once again re-written the bible to accommodate tatoos. The few times my grandchildren did come for Christmas, I was "allowed" to give them gifts as long as they were not wrapped in Christmas paper! Yeah, that made a big difference!

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”