Kelowna - Now and Then

A potpourri of off-topics.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Re: Kelowna - Now and Then

Post by westsidebud »

i remeber when kelowna was just a lil baby alll cute and stuff.now its alll grown up :coffeecanuck:
GO CANUCKS GO
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

I remember the old IGA at bernard/gordon. Now there is some giant highrise there. I remember the forest and trails before they got plowed away for the Kettle Valley homes. I even almost remember when the city wasn't filled with yuppies, but that was a long time ago.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

netfreak wrote:I remember the old IGA at bernard/gordon. Now there is some giant highrise there. I remember the forest and trails before they got plowed away for the Kettle Valley homes. I even almost remember when the city wasn't filled with yuppies, but that was a long time ago.

That IGA started out as Peoples, and my mom and dad took my brother and I to the Grand Opening of Peoples.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
wino

Post by wino »

tjc wrote:anyone remember dominion radio and television or hannigans burgers

What about Dominion, unusual that of all places this shop would come up.
I used to work there.
Remember Glen and John very well.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

netfreak wrote:I remember the old IGA at bernard/gordon. Now there is some giant highrise there. I remember the forest and trails before they got plowed away for the Kettle Valley homes. I even almost remember when the city wasn't filled with yuppies, but that was a long time ago.

I know people with Alzheimers that can remember IGA from 2 years ago!! Kettle Valley used to be called Peach Flats when it used to be a nice place.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
netfreak
Übergod

Post by netfreak »

BoB76 wrote:

I know people with Alzheimers that can remember IGA from 2 years ago!!

Lol, aside from applying for a job there like 10 years ago I was never in the area. One day it just became a giant pile of dirt and then a tower appeared.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

netfreak wrote:
BoB76 wrote:

I know people with Alzheimers that can remember IGA from 2 years ago!!

Lol, aside from applying for a job there like 10 years ago I was never in the area. One day it just became a giant pile of dirt and then a tower appeared.

I like how they used downtown streets as aisle numbers, what was that store next door in the same building? I forget what that was...
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
mlsram
Fledgling

Post by mlsram »

All right here is a list, who remembers Stedmans store in Rutland it was downstairs at Plaza 33....loved the toy department as a kid. I still remember the big guy that worked there at the time then later he worked at Marvelous Muffins in the old food court in Orchard Park before the reno took place. I remember shopping at Safeway with my mom which was attached to Orchard Park..........oh and the candy store in the Bay......that was the best! Toys and Wheels in the mall....good times! On Hwy 97 near where Canadian Tire is there used to be Sids Convenience store which was white with huge red polka dots on it and one red heart. I believe it had some sort of petting zoo behind it. Playing indoor volleyball at Bogies in Central Park golf course was fun. I truely miss the Drive In theatre, Flintsones, the Boardwalk and the Auction Dome. Valley Fruit Stand should never have been torn down, that was a big mistake. I loved the smell of the apple cider there in the winter months. As well some of the the Kelowna characters were always amusing as a teen........Paul would ride by on his bike and flip you the bird, yell obscenities then tell you he was your friend. Anyone remember fast Eddie , he was very short and chubby ? He hung out in Rutland at the 7/11 when it was at the old location across from its current spot. He always wore a blue satin softball jacket......probably Bluejays. He would stand outside of the doors and try and trade people baseball cards as they were going in. He rode the city bus to Orchard park regularly and would pick his nose frequently. At this time there was also a short native man who you would see riding the bus, challenged as well.....he always wore a big cowboy hat and cowboy boots. I know Paul and Eddie have both passed away, but wonder about the little cowboy man. One more thing, there used to be an old old house very weathered looking but green it was near where Costco is now in a field close to Save on gas. It was creepy looking and abandoned for years. I always wanted to explore it. I think an Asian family owned the property at the time. The Pop Shoppe was always fun you would select your pop then rent a video machine and some videos. That was when VHS machines cost like 700-800 bucks and was just not affordable for most families then. I also recall when Overwaitee had all the different pops that you could fill yourself in 2 litre bottles...........the floor was always so sticky, what a mess it was! I remember Adventure Land between Winfield and Vernon on the HWY they had a huge slide we kids would go down in potato sacks. I also miss Wild n Wet waterslides and the river run and Fun City. Glad I grew up here at the time I did, I still love the place and especially the wineries.......yum! Adult pop!
Last edited by mlsram on Nov 13th, 2009, 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

I remember when the Capri was still a mall before they SCREWED it all up!!! I also remember Bedrock City (where Grand 10 is today), and when there were railspurs where Prospera Place is today. Man, Kelowna has come a long way!
Fixer 166
Guru

Post by Fixer 166 »

Haha, I worked at Flintstones for four summers. Good times.
I remember Harv's outdoor sports, and Clem's fishing shop.
Every Relationship Is Give & Give
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

Cumungala wrote:I remember when the Capri was still a mall before they SCREWED it all up!!! I also remember Bedrock City (where Grand 10 is today), and when there were railspurs where Prospera Place is today. Man, Kelowna has come a long way!

You're 14 and you remember this?
Model citizen......zero discipline.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

kingsandman wrote:
Cumungala wrote:I remember when the Capri was still a mall before they SCREWED it all up!!! I also remember Bedrock City (where Grand 10 is today), and when there were railspurs where Prospera Place is today. Man, Kelowna has come a long way!

Don't tell me you JUST figured out that Cumungala is nothing but a liar.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Captain Awesome wrote:
kingsandman wrote:

Don't tell me you JUST figured out that Cumungala is nothing but a liar.

Last time I checked Bedrock City was in operation till at least 1998, and the railspurs weren't exactly where Prospera Place is, but further north and torn out in 1998, and the Capri was still a successful mall until 2001 when they switched it all around. I was born in 1995 and it looks to me like all these dates all come after that.

Captain Awesome, you should be happy I even have a Castanet account, I dont believe there are too many people my age that do
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

It Was Pizza Patio and Brownies Chicken and before that it was an A&W drive up the waitress girls still had roller skates.
hvacguy wrote:POP SHOPPE there is one from the younger years, and how about when Boston pizza was at the Capri mall where de dutch is now
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
Nom_de_Plume
Guru

Post by Nom_de_Plume »

I remember when capri mall was the ONLY mall.
and we used to buy our groceries at Super Valu downtown on ... can't remember if was lawrence? pretty sure it was lawrence.
I believe it was where the towne centre mall sits now.
I also remember when the hwy through town was one lane each way.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
~ Terry Pratchett

Return to “Grab Bag”