You're a Vernonite if you can remember . . .

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: You're a Vernonite if you can remember....

Post by Fritzthecat »

ventured wrote:Cool. the centre area is now completely grown over, it's tall trees. You'd never recognize it. Amazing to see it so open.

It was not so grown over in 1980 after the failed attempt to make it into a John Newcombe Tennis Ranch. You can still the remains of a foundation in turns 1 and 2 (the end of the track that is still intact.) Turns 3 and 4 were torn up to facilitate construction crews and to discourage people on the track. At this time, most of the fence was still up as well as the starter stand at th start finish line.
Later on, TIllicum Raceway was the site of Clearly Candians well. I wonder how people would ahve felt about the beverage if they'd known the well was bellow an old speedway?
If you go up there and walk around today, you can still find car parts in the center of the track.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
mott.hoople
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by mott.hoople »

When your paycheque from a certain trucking company actually cleared!
These high thread count sheets feel amazing on my naked skin. Oh Oh... Here comes the Zellers manager. I wonder what she wants?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

mott.hoople wrote:When your paycheque from a certain trucking company actually cleared!

i actually know what you're talking about.. :sillygrin:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
shelly01
Board Meister

Post by shelly01 »

Dye's Pool Hall, and I mean the smoky one on 30th Avenue.

Hey, how about NOCA?
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesman and philosophers and divines - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

shelly01 wrote:Dye's Pool Hall, and I mean the smoky one on 30th Avenue.

Hey, how about NOCA?

Yep. Good old NOCA.

How about Robinson's Dept Store, Pay Less Drugs (was it Pay Less?), the Klondike Arcade, Polson Sports, OK Corral Western Wear and the pet store at Polson Mall.

Tempo Music in the Village Green Mall? Funny Fox? McMini's Golf? Woolworths and Eatons? SAAN and Fields downtown?
nickthewiseguy999

Post by nickthewiseguy999 »

I remember the bobslide (luge) track on the way to armstrong near Swan Lake. Oh what a riot.
And going for dips in the Polson park pool when I was a kid....
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

nickthewiseguy999 wrote:I remember the bobslide (luge) track on the way to Armstrong near Swan Lake. Oh what a riot.

Take it back some years (well a lot of years) when Tillicum had that 2300 Ft concrete bobsled run. Outside Calgary at Paskappo had one as well but that was many years ago.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

roadrunner24k wrote:
nickthewiseguy999 wrote:I remember the bobslide (luge) track on the way to Armstrong near Swan Lake. Oh what a riot.

Take it back some years (well a lot of years) when Tillicum had that 2300 Ft concrete bobsled run. Outside Calgary at Paskappo had one as well but that was many years ago.

You used to take the chair lift up to the top. I remember being on the chair and it scaring the hell out of me.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

GO CANUCKS GO
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

westsidebud wrote:1966

What about 1966 :137:

The bobsled at Tillicum was put in mid 70's.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

WTHWYT wrote:
westsidebud wrote:1966

What about 1966 :137:

The bobsled at Tillicum was put in mid 70's.

well my uncle was a cadet in vernon i think around then
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

*removed*/ferri
GO CANUCKS GO
VMF

Post by VMF »

nickthewiseguy999 wrote:I remember the bobslide (luge) track on the way to armstrong near Swan Lake. Oh what a riot.

I loved both of these things!! It's been a looooong time!
Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne »

Getting feed for the chickens at the "Fruit Union Plaza"
Getting served by A&W on 27th street
Going to Red Top Grocery and nothing was behind it.
Getting gas at the Mohawk Station, not coffee at Portillo's
Skiing at Tillicum and going to Cedar Hotsprings
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

I just saw a good one! I was at Polson Mall and they have gutte the inside unit Capri used to have. Low and behold, up on the wall, is th elong forgotten mural from Polson Sports SHop. I hadn't seen that mural in probalby 25+ years!

Return to “North Okanagan”