Dog slobber worries Muslims

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Dog slobber worries Muslims

Post by Nebula »

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/12/10/bc-bomb-dogs-vancouver-transit-muslims.html

Specially trained bomb-sniffing dogs might soon be patrolling Metro Vancouver's buses and SkyTrains just in time for the Olympics, but that has some Muslims concerned.

The Metro Vancouver Transit Police Service is in the process of selecting the handlers and dogs that will be part of the two-year pilot project, said deputy chief George Beattie.

Once the teams are trained, the dogs will work on the entire transit system, including buses, SkyTrains and SeaBus ferries.

But the idea of being sniffed up and down by a slobbery pooch — no matter how well trained — has already raised concerns among some members of Metro Vancouver's Muslim community.

Some devout Muslims consider dogs to be unclean animals and try to avoid any contact with them. Some Muslim cab drivers in Vancouver have even refused to take guide dogs in their vehicles and will call for a second vehicle to take the fare instead.

Shawket Hassan, the vice-president of the B.C. Muslim Association, says he wants to make sure the dogs will not touch passengers during searches, which could lead to problems, particularly for Muslims heading to a mosque to pray.

"If they touch the body, then there is a probability they will leave some saliva on the clothes," said Hassan.

'If I am going to the mosque and pray … and I have this saliva on my body … I have to go and change or clean.'

He pointed out that devout Muslims pray five times a day, no matter where they are.

Hassan said he wants to work with the transit police to develop guidelines that would keep the dogs at least 30 centimetres away from passengers.

But Hassan stressed that Muslims have respect for all animals, including dogs, and they have no objections to using the dogs for security.

"This is a step we would support, but … we would like to be informed," he said.

Tight deadline for program
For their part, transit police say they are still in the early stages and have not yet had time to consult with the Muslim community, but plans are in the works.

"We are at the very, very beginning stages of the project," said Beattie. "We had some very good feedback from BC Civil Liberties [Association] that we may wish to speak to the Muslim community. That hasn't happened yet. We are just in the process of rolling it out."

The transit police are hoping to have two dog patrols working in time for the Olympics in February, but Beattie admits the deadline is tight.

There are a number of police officers on the force that are already trained as dog handlers and if they can get pre-trained dogs, they could be on the job within two months.

The move to bring in the specialized dogs is part of the normal expansion of the scope of the 170-member force and not a response to any specific security threats, he said.

"This is part and parcel … [of] the growth of our police service," said Beattie.

'They are not dual trained for the detection of narcotics.'

"Our whole purpose is the safety and security of the transit system," said Beattie. "They are not dual trained for the detection of narcotics."

It is important that there is no confusion for the handler when a dog has detected something.

"It would be tough if the dog gave an indication for a package, and you did not know what you are dealing with," said Beattie.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Dog slobber worries Muslims

Post by Bsuds »

I would worry more about the possibility of explosive devices strapped to their bodies than a little slobber on their pants.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
WhatThe

Post by WhatThe »

Not to jump on Islam as there have been many religions that have caused mayhem over the centuries but hey, if dog slobber is a concern how about not being the silent peaceful majority that does nothing to stop the carnage of fanatics. I knowits not that easy but... It's a dog with cleaner mouths than us.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

WhatThe wrote:Not to jump on Islam as there have been many religions that have caused mayhem over the centuries but hey, if dog slobber is a concern how about not being the silent peaceful majority that does nothing to stop the carnage of fanatics. I knowits not that easy but... It's a dog with cleaner mouths than us.

Meh, there are Christians in Africa disfiguring their children with acid and/or hacking down their neighbours with machetes.

It seems like these maniac sects are simply disowned, "thats not (my) Christianity", "they don't represent (my) Islam", instead of being rehabilitated by their brothers and sisters but that is their prerogative

This world is too full of loon bars with access to high explosives and dangerous drugs for anyone to get their panties in a knot over the use of trained police dogs.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

In the UK Muslim prisoners are being given fresh clothes and bedding after sniffer dogs search their cells – because they view the animals as unclean.

The dogs have also been banned from touching copies of the Islamic holy book the Koran and other religious items.

Muslims argue they should not be touched by sniffer dogs trained to spot terrorists at railway stations.

Last month it was revealed that the Association of Chief Police Officers proposed that police dogs wear bootees with rubber soles on their paws when searching Muslim suspects’ homes.

Not afraid to say "It".
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I'm going to let my dog lick my copy of the koran.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

waste of money and time.

no muslim wants to blow anything up in canada
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

Mr Danksworth wrote:I'm going to let my dog lick my copy of the koran.

your so mature
GO CANUCKS GO
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

westsidebud wrote:no muslim wants to blow anything up in canada

Wrong.

A man who pleaded guilty in the so-called Toronto 18 plot aimed at bombing targets in the city's downtown was sentenced Thursday to 14 years in prison, but was credited with seven years for time already served.

He was one of eighteen....

Any guesses why 18 muslims would terrorize their own country westsidebud?
Not afraid to say "It".
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

logicalview wrote:Any guesses why 18 muslims would terrorize their own country westsidebud?

Because some dog licked their koran?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Nebula wrote:
logicalview wrote:Any guesses why 18 muslims would terrorize their own country westsidebud?

Because some dog licked their koran?

Because we like bacon.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Uh huh. I've got it. Let's train pigs to sniff out explosive materials.
RePete

Post by RePete »

It's the Olympics. It is a short time to be inconvenienced. A bomb is a distinct possibility. The vast majority of body bombs in the world have been worn by Muslims. Bring a change of clothes and put up with it for a couple of weeks.

Side note: If a bomb went off and several Muslims were killed, would the Muslim community blame inadequate security?
"Life ! Grab it by the ears and give it a big, wet, sloppy kiss, right on the mouth" P.Watson

"Many a man may look respectable, and yet be able to hide at will behind a spiral staircase" Wodehouse
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

You really think this will end with the Owelympics? Since when did any incursion by Big Brother on law-abiding individual's privacy and freedom to live unmolested by the state ever end?

My prediction is it will be declared such a resounding success that authorities believe it absolutely necessary to continue "for the foreseeable future".
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I have a dog that sheds terribly. There is often dog hair on my clothes when I go out in public. If I go to a crowded mall, and some Muslim happens to brush against me, chances are pretty good that some of the dog hair will transfer to that other person. Is that a forbidden thing, too? Or is it just slobber they are concerned about?

Do Muslims not have dogs for pets???

edited to add:

I googled it ... here's one response (?) http://www.answering-islam.org/Silas/dogs.htm
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”