High school Christian club banned

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: High school Christian club banned

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: Hey, you promised to watch college football.

ya, ya - my wife won't have nothing of it. Guess it's just about time to watch the movie rental.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

you mean you were never invited to join the Wicca club? Let the kids have their lil group, doubt it will lead to World destruction. I grow weary of the Christian bashing. Oops, bet this isn't critical thinking, althou I'm feeling pretty critical as I type.
Also tired of the so called erudite trying to cloud discussions with words even Buckminister Fuller would mock. If he wasn't dead.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Anyone with a name like Buckminster deserves to be mocked. (Or at least his parents do.)
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Big ned
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Big ned »

So critical thinking involves hiding things that exist from kids in school? Get real. Again ... there seems to be some kind of fear circulating out there. Kids will make up their mind about whether to be religious or not, but hiding the fact that there is religion out there doesn't allow them to make their own minds up on the matter.

Seems interesting that 80+ percent of the North American population consider themselves either spiritual or religious. Neither can be proved by science and yet the atheists out there think 80 percent of North Americans are idiots and stupid because science can't prove their beliefs. I think perhaps it is the atheists that might be missing something out there.

The teachers that would be involved in these clubs wouldn't necessarily teach a course in the club. Also they would fit the teacher to the club. If it was a christian club, there would most likely be a teacher with a christian background. Like I said, I went to a christian club at my professional school and it was led by students. There were two evangelical type students that led the discussion and it was fascinating to have a debate between a mormon and an evangelical. There were many that learned much about both faiths and much LEARNING took place outside of school time. At that age we didn't need a teacher to moderate and the teachers in high school are not there to teach the course, simply to moderate.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

normaM wrote: you mean you were never invited to join the Wicca club?

No, damnit !!!

normaM wrote: Let the kids have their lil group, doubt it will lead to World destruction. I grow weary of the Christian bashing. Oops, bet this isn't critical thinking, ...

=D>

normaM wrote: Also tired of the so called erudite trying to cloud discussions with words even Buckminister Fuller would mock.

What dave said.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

I'm a spiritual person and have no problem with religious clubs at school. I'd also have no problem with an atheist club, or a Club that believes in aliens and a club that doesn't believe in them, or a club that believes in the supernatural and one that doesn't, and so on, as long as nothing is pushed on anyone involuntarily. Because it's not part of the curriculum and would be voluntary for the students, I think it would be great to be able to go from club to club and get different perspectives on a great number of topics and interests as one can practice a belief in any of the above and many more and still be a good, productive member of society.

One always becomes more well-rounded when exposed to as many angles as possible. You could say it's alright to start a club for ones who truly believe in unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters, but unless it was just to mock, rendering it a non-productive club, I highly doubt it would even get started. Even if it did, it wouldn't scare me, I don't know what other people are so scared of.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Captain Awesome wrote:school is for studying things that actually make sense and don't cloud your judgment.

You kids better think right!
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

zzontar wrote:I'm a spiritual person and have no problem with religious clubs at school. I'd also have no problem with an atheist club, or a Club that believes in aliens and a club that doesn't believe in them, or a club that believes in the supernatural and one that doesn't, and so on, as long as nothing is pushed on anyone involuntarily. Because it's not part of the curriculum and would be voluntary for the students, I think it would be great to be able to go from club to club and get different perspectives on a great number of topics and interests as one can practice a belief in any of the above and many more and still be a good, productive member of society.

One always becomes more well-rounded when exposed to as many angles as possible. You could say it's alright to start a club for ones who truly believe in unicorns and flying spaghetti monsters, but unless it was just to mock, rendering it a non-productive club, I highly doubt it would even get started. Even if it did, it wouldn't scare me, I don't know what other people are so scared of.

=D>
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

nolanrh wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:school is for studying things that actually make sense and don't cloud your judgment.

Reading, riting and rithmatic – don’t want to confuse the children with any ideas from outside their home experience (cause we all know everyone comes from such healthy home environments).
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

nolanrh wrote:

Whatever that means.

Trust me, I'm not against religion. Religion to me is necessary evil like taxes, or gyms.

I used to be a believer myself but I strongly believe that there's time and place for exploring spirituality and it's called church. Now, school on the other hand is about learning factual things, preparing for the real life, and critical thinking. Religion has no business there.

If you want kids to learn about unicorns, transformers, and Jesus - send them to church.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

This isn't about altering the curriculum. Schools are about learning. Clubs broaden the spectrum of the learning by allowing like-minded students to share a common interest in a subject. If you don't want your kids to participate then don't allow them to join the club. Some parents think sports are harmful to children and not a necessary part of the educational experience, but that is not sufficient to have sports clubs banned from school. Absent a strong argument that it is harmful for children to meet to discuss religion/pray, it shouldn't be banned.

2000 years ago the same mindset as yours would have opposed science clubs in school. Think about it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: I strongly believe that there's time and place for exploring spirituality and it's called church.

You believe that church is the only place to consider, discuss and explore spirituality? I think many people would disagree with that. For example, while church attendance worldwide is going down, the number of people who believe in some form of God, Higher Power, Universal Consciousness or whatever (as self-reported in statistical surveys) is going up. The point here being that spirituality or spiritual exploration is hardly mutually inclusive with attendance at church.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I suppose we'll have to get rid of Star Wars clubs, since they believe in The Force.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nebula wrote:I suppose we'll have to get rid of Star Wars clubs, since they believe in The Force.

And Dan Brown fan clubs that might begin to postulate, search for and attempt to exploit the existence and power of Noetic Science.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Nebula wrote:I suppose we'll have to get rid of Star Wars clubs, since they believe in The Force.

Star Wars clubs should be banned for spreading nerdiness. Nothing to do with the Force!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”