Paganism

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Paganism

Post by steven lloyd »

AlanH wrote:And what do you think about all of that?

He thinks he’ll go light up another doobie (he's tired of all that thinking stuff) :136:
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

steven lloyd wrote:

He thinks he’ll go light up another doobie (he's tired of all that thinking stuff) :136:

You mean copy/pasting right? I didn't see any original thought.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

FunkyBunch wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:

You mean copy/pasting right? I didn't see any original thought.

lol its info.im not a pagan.its not my bag of tricks.but why should the religion thread be just christians? if you are a pro lets hear your thoughts
GO CANUCKS GO
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Of all people, i figured for sure that HE would have something in there about Rastafarianism!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

westsidebud wrote: lol its info.im not a pagan.its not my bag of tricks.but why should the religion thread be just christians? if you are a pro lets hear your thoughts

You C&P'd a whole page. You must have some opinion on the matter - or maybe not. Obviously you were keyboarding, which meant you were awake (at least sort of) and if you were awake you must also have been stoned (because that's what you are when you're awake).

Me? I like plants but I haven't smoked one for a long, long time. I tried your favourite but it just wasn't condusive to spelling and constructing simple sentences (I tried it once but didn't inhale).
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

steven lloyd wrote:
westsidebud wrote: lol its info.im not a pagan.its not my bag of tricks.but why should the religion thread be just christians? if you are a pro lets hear your thoughts

You C&P'd a whole page. You must have some opinion on the matter - or maybe not. Obviously you were keyboarding, which meant you were awake (at least sort of) and if you were awake you must also have been stoned (because that's what you are when you're awake).

Me? I like plants but I haven't smoked one for a long, long time. I tried your favourite but it just wasn't condusive to spelling and constructing simple sentences (I tried it once but didn't inhale).

well my thoughts are any religien that doesnt promote hatred or vilonce should be just as acceptable as christianity
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

Phoenix Within wrote:Of all people, i figured for sure that HE would have something in there about Rastafarianism!

i snt realy know anything about it :coffeecanuck:
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

i am a viking so i do have some intrest in norse mythology but im more of a mother nature typa guy
GO CANUCKS GO
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

pagan baby wont you rock with me- creedence clearwater revival :spinball:
GO CANUCKS GO
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

westsidebud wrote: well my thoughts are any religien that doesnt promote hatred or vilonce should be just as acceptable as christianity

I think Paganism pretty much is, the great satanic scare back in the 50-60's (or whenever it was) is practically nonexistent nowadays and organized paganism (covens) seem to be growing as far as I can tell.

So beside the odd mainstream religious fatwa/long standing revulsion against/to Paganism there isn't really anybody else not 'accepting' them, heck, most atheists that I know are quite sympathetic to Pagans, they're belief being secular in all the right places (for a secular society) and pretty much non-intrusive everywhere else.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

well said
GO CANUCKS GO
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

Celebrations on Dec 25th (winter solstice at the time): Pagan
Decorating evergreen trees with bits of metal, wreaths and boughs indoors, etc on Dec 25th: Pagan
Christmas was once banned in England because of it's Paganism with no biblical justification.
Easter: Name of the Heathen goddess of fertility celebrated at the spring equinox (Eostre)
Rabbits (represent fertility), eggs (represent rebirth) at Easter (the spring equinox): Pagan

I find it so amusing that the White House, whose politics and Christianity are so entwined, erects Christmas trees at Christmas and have children search for eggs on the front lawn at Easter, both actions directly decended from Pagan traditions.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

You're at least partially mistaken there Drex1999. The Pagan winter celebration was the Feast of Saturnalia which tool place from December 17th to December 23rd NOT the 25th. And it doesn't really matter which time of year a Christian celebration is held, there is always going to be some sort of "Pagan" festival around that time. Pagan religions have spanned nearly all cultures across the globe for a minimum of tens of thousands of years. It is probably impossible to find a time of year not related to in some way to a Pagan holiday since there were so many of them.

Further, part of the reasons for some of the holidays was two fold: to celebrate worthy milestones in Christianity and secondly to ease the reconciliation of Pagsn beliefs and those of Christianity. I mean why make a new holiday when you can just change the reason for it? (as per the early church)
drex1999
Board Meister

Post by drex1999 »

I will cede a slight correction. The celebration of Saturnalia during the dates you mentioned is correct but was to celebrate the winter solstice which occurred on Dec 25th at that time.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Again not entirely true. It wasn't until the Julian calendar that the solstice was the 25th and the feast of Saturnalia predates the Julian calendar. Further, since the Gregorian calendar was accepted the other dates at the time are irrelevant since December 25th on the Julian calendar is different than December 25th on the Gregorian calendar. But I do agree that that Christmas in essence was stolen from the feast if Saturnalia, but for the reasons I mentioned earlier, it was an attempt by the early church to replace Pagan beliefs with Christian ones.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”