Kelowna - Now and Then

A potpourri of off-topics.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Re: Kelowna - Now and Then

Post by quietlywatching84 »

railspurs weren't exactly where Prospera Place is, but further north and torn out in 1998,

They were on the other side of clement, closer to where the train station is. That used to be all CN land. It was used more when Western Star was in operation. That whole area used to be industrial and light commercial down to around where the community theatre and the cop shop is. I think one of the first things they built was the new court house, replacing the old one that used to be next to the seniors center across the street.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

i rember when kelowna had jobs :coffeecanuck:
GO CANUCKS GO
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Wow, this is an interesting thread..............How about:
the Auction Dome
Treadgolds Toyland
Sings restaurant
The Hammond Organ Studio

What was that nightclub that was at the foot of Bernard by the Paramount beside the little alley that is still there? It had an orange backlit sign, sort of gothic looking but I could be wrong on that. It's on the tip of my tongue but I just can't remember it!!

Oh, and
the zoo
Rutland Riding Stables

and more recently
The Old Spaghetti Factory
The Spaghetti House (started up at about the same time as the Spaghetti Factory in the midst of the spaghetti craze!!)
just like Mr. Jakes was up at the same time as Mr. Mikes during the steakhouse era

Remember where the old Harley dealership was? (no, not the one on McCurdy!!)
Victory Motors

Wow, this is a very cool memory exercise.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

LANDM - I'm pretty sure you mean.......Dusty's

But, do you remember ever sneaking into Angies? Or were you more of a Tramps person?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Queen K wrote:LANDM - I'm pretty sure you mean.......Dusty's

But, do you remember ever sneaking into Angies? Or were you more of a Tramps person?

Yup, Dustys, and if you staggered down the alley, you could hit the Zoo, then Anthony's and for the more adventurous...the Silver Spur and the Saddle Room.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

gardengirl wrote:

Yup, Dustys, and if you staggered down the alley, you could hit the Zoo, then Anthony's and for the more adventurous...the Silver Spur and the Saddle Room.

Wow you two are old!! Do you remember driving through city park back in the day? Neither do I!!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

BoB76 wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

Wow you two are old!! Do you remember driving through city park back in the day? Neither do I!!
Hubby does also remembers teentown dances at the aquatic, oops guess thats aging us
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The Silver Spur! There was a dance floor upstairs too, omigod.

Uhoh motorhomebabe, Teentown was in the fifties wasn't it? My Aunt Isobel is in her mid sixties and she remembers it. For how long did it operate? I grew up in the mid 70's and 80's and I sure don't recall it.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Queen K wrote:The Silver Spur! There was a dance floor upstairs too, omigod.

Uhoh motorhomebabe, Teentown was in the fifties wasn't it? My Aunt Isobel is in her mid sixties and she remembers it. For how long did it operate? I grew up in the mid 70's and 80's and I sure don't recall it.
Did I say Hubby is older than me He says it ran even after the aquatic burnt down, moved it to memorial arena He also played for the Buckaroos in 1961 62
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Rutland Teen Town started in 1965, but all the others started before that by a few years. I was VERY involved in Rutland Teen Town. We held our dances in the Rutland Community Hall, which we also helped build. That's when I booked Burton Cummings for a dance - what a jerk.

There were Teen Towns all over the valley and into the Boundary Country, too.

Kamloops
Salmon Arm
Armstrong (I think)
Vernon
Rutland
Kelowna
Summerland
Penticton
Oliver and Osoyoos (I think)
Greenwood
Grand Forks

There may have been more but that's what I remember right now. From my recollection, we were province-wide and I think I remember prince George, too, but I don't recall now what was at the coast. There will be others with Better recollection than I have who were more active on a provincial basis. I was pretty locally focused.

Anybody here remember Frog Hollow Day Camp? I think that was the last big function they had, but I could be wrong about that, too.

Teen Town lasted into the early 1970s. We sure raised a lot of money (dare I say millions?) for a lot of charities and had a whale of a time doing it.

It would be a blast to have a reunion ...........
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I also remember Rutland Riding Stables (on Hartman Road)?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

Then he would remember the KOKO club and ANNIES

motorhomebabe wrote:

Did I say Hubby is older than me He says it ran even after the aquatic burnt down, moved it to memorial arena He also played for the Buckaroos in 1961 62
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

The KoKo club yes,Also drag racing at the bottom of Knox mountain.The pear orchard that became Capri Mall, The Barley strech .could go on and on
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

You've been here a lot longer than me but we did come here on summer holidays the year Capri was being built I would have been too young to remember anything earlier.
I do remember sneaking into a lot of Buck games & in the back door at the Paramount.
Do you remember the pool hall beside the old fire hall downtown I think it was called Merv's
had a 2 lane bowling alley?

motorhomebabe wrote:The KoKo club yes,Also drag racing at the bottom of Knox mountain.The pear orchard that became Capri Mall, The Barley strech .could go on and on
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

The pool Hall was on Ellis and one was upstairs where China town used to stand Remember the bowling alley, but never went there .You guys should realize I am just picking hubbys brain , I wasnt here til the 80s

Return to “Grab Bag”