Kelowna - Now and Then

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Kelowna - Now and Then

Post by Queen K »

motorhomebabe wrote:The pool Hall was on Ellis and one was upstairs where China town used to stand Remember the bowling alley, but never went there .You guys should realize I am just picking hubbys brain , I wasnt here til the 80s

The den of iniquity was Porco's.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Same place ,but before porcos time .hubby played there when it was Porcos too
steelrules
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by steelrules »

No Guys there was one on lawrence ave. almost directly behind the asross the alley from the old Leon ave. liquor store.
I do remember kelowna's China town same area.

Queen K wrote:
motorhomebabe wrote:The pool Hall was on Ellis and one was upstairs where China town used to stand Remember the bowling alley, but never went there .You guys should realize I am just picking hubbys brain , I wasnt here til the 80s

The den of iniquity was Porco's.
"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves"
Edward R Murrow
Now a proud member of the NRA & Canadian Sport Shooting Association.
Sic Semper Tyrannis
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Thank you!!!! The Koko Club was what I was thinking about, not Dusty's.
My memory isn't perfect but the Koko Club was around waaaaay before Dusty's wasn't it? Was the Koko Club at the foot of Bernard by the alley?

And no, Queenk, I wasn't a Tramps person (my wife was before we were married :)
I was Angies (and Luigi's).
I helped to set up the funky drink dispensing system before Tramps opened......it had little pumps and each bottle had a tube from it. I never did track to see if it worked properly after. It didn't seem to me that it would be a long-term reliable system.

The biggest problem here is getting the time sequences right and when some of these places were in business.
Aaaah, the aquatic center and diving off Athans tower the 1st time.
Battle of the Bands.
etc etc etc :)
You and 71 others Like this post
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Luigi's used to be on Lakeshore Dr. around where RadioShack, now The Source, is located now. I remember when it closed the old guys had nowhere to go and just hang out cuz the new "Luigi's' morphed into the Pheasant and Quail. A more formal place for sure.

I heard that the owners of The Creekside Pub are beside themselves that so many people call it Adele's.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Queen K wrote:Luigi's used to be on Lakeshore Dr. around where RadioShack, now The Source, is located now. I remember when it closed the old guys had nowhere to go and just hang out cuz the new "Luigi's' morphed into the Pheasant and Quail. A more formal place for sure.

I heard that the owners of The Creekside Pub are beside themselves that so many people call it Adele's.

Yup, Luigi's perhaps had the 1st neighbourhood pub licence in BC (but I could be wrong on that).

Here's a tough one.......what was the name of the restaurant before it was changed to Adele's?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Good question.

Does anyone know where the Blue Bird Motel used to be?

Or remember the little store on Cedar Ave. just off Lakeshore. I met the owner once or twice, when they ran it they were out in the country in that location.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Queen K wrote:Good question.

Does anyone know where the Blue Bird Motel used to be?

Or remember the little store on Cedar Ave. just off Lakeshore. I met the owner once or twice, when they ran it they were out in the country in that location.

Hmmmm........I remember it but can't visualize the location. Wasn't it one of the ones along what is now Gordon? You seem to remember Mission locations so you must have a connection to that area and it may have been there, perhaps along Pandosy, but I just can't remember.

I grew up in Glenmore so I don't remember the Cedar Ave store but I remember all of the old Glenmore Store owners through the years.

How about the Red Top Motel? It had a cement pond and everything!!!

motorhomebabe mentioned the pear orchard where Capri is now.............of course half of the Capri name was derived from the owner of the pear orchard.

I just noticed an ad at the beginning of the winter season from the Mazda dealership saying they would install your winter tires and store your summers. That's what the dad, Archie, used to do at the old Kelowna Motors tire shop location downtown. It was very handy.

Someone mentioned a couple of the folks who would be wandering around town. Remember Sunnyvale? I believe the two men mentioned spent much of their youth and early adulthood there (could have been Eddie and Bevan that they were referring to......oops, just looked back and someone said the name Paul. But Eddie was mentioned later in the thread. I don't remember Paul). A family friend ran the place and I would go in to see her once in a while and it was interesting to see the various people in there.

Also someone referred to a store beside People's Food Market.......can't remember that. There was some sort of thrift shop or something there in the later years as I recall, but I don't remember an actual store there.

It's fascinating to see what triggers the memories.
Last edited by LANDM on Jan 14th, 2010, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

ImRight wrote:Holy you r old (all of u)

Remember Tastee Freeze in Winfield (now Timmies)

Ahhh, Winfield trivia.............There were more places to eat in Winfield before than there are now.
The Tastee Freez was in that little grassed area in front of where Timmies is now.
Woods Lake Dining Lounge (where the Greek House is now) was very nice as a "fine continental dining experience" and then it turned into an African themed restaurant. Al's Cafe for breakfast, Willie's Steak & Pizza, Brownie's Fried Chicken, Canadian 2 for 1 in the old location, and a couple more that I can't remember.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Hubby says the Bluebird Motel was on Bluebird Rd off of Lakeshore, Rd is still there ,have been on it myself. Have been in Luigies a few times myself
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

motorhomebabe wrote:Hubby says the Bluebird Motel was on Bluebird Rd off of Lakeshore, Rd is still there ,have been on it myself. Have been in Luigies a few times myself

You know, I was going to give that obvious answer but thought it was toooooo obvious!!! I guess it fades into the scenery as I drive by there frequently. :)
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

LANDM wrote:
motorhomebabe wrote:Hubby says the Bluebird Motel was on Bluebird Rd off of Lakeshore, Rd is still there ,have been on it myself. Have been in Luigies a few times myself

You know, I was going to give that obvious answer but thought it was toooooo obvious!!! I guess it fades into the scenery as I drive by there frequently. :)

Me too. I have no Mission connection as I actually grew up in Old Glenmore. I remember when Mountain Ave. was torn up and completely repaved and landscaped. And when horses were kept in a little field behind the Glenmore Store, when the now paved walkway was then a dirt path.
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

Queen K wrote: Me too. I have no Mission connection as I actually grew up in Old Glenmore. I remember when Mountain Ave. was torn up and completely repaved and landscaped. And when horses were kept in a little field behind the Glenmore Store, when the now paved walkway was then a dirt path.

I remember when they were still building Glenmore. I also remember how Glenmore Road was mostly 2 lanes and how the Enterprise/Spall intersection was farther South of where it is today. I also remember that big metal monstrosity across the highway from Scandia!! :dyinglaughing:
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Hey, I want to play this game too.

Remember the old bridge???
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Captain Awesome wrote:Hey, I want to play this game too.

Remember the old bridge???

No I don't were was it was north or south of the current bridge.

Return to “Grab Bag”