Inconceivable nature of nature

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Tumult
Board Meister

Inconceivable nature of nature

Post by Tumult »

Humans have a narrow bandwidth in which to "observe" reality.

Feynman on receiving waves through two tiny holes in your face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU8PId_6xec
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Re: Inconceivable nature of nature

Post by hellomynameis »

I remember sitting at a bus stop, completely bored, and actually getting annoyed at the fact that there was a Hi-Def Canuck's playoff game being beamed through my head along with some great music and other interesting things.

Even more annoying was when I came to realize that if I could translate that information someone would expect me to pay for it.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

I can see it now, the CRTC/thought police busting people for wave piracy. Product placement in your daydreams, pay-per-thought entertainment.....
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

I often wonder how far through the cosmos my HF transmissions have gotten -- and whether some distant intelligent life will intercept and decode my frantic transmissions. LOL, they could piece together a more accurate history of the 20th/21st Centuries than we have recorded in our history books!
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Hellomynameis wrote:..... Hi-Def Canuck's playoff game being beamed through my head along with some great music and other interesting things.

I'm quite interested in knowing what the "interesting things" were. Can you remember?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Born_again wrote: I'm quite interested in knowing what the "interesting things" were.

Do you know anything about Noetic Science ? Any thoughts on that ?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

steven lloyd wrote:Do you know anything about Noetic Science ? Any thoughts on that ?

Too bad it isn't actually science, it's repackaged Gnosticism with a sickly overlay of pseudo-science to make it more palpable. I smell millions of dollars being made being made. If you liked 'What the Bleep?' and 'The Secret' this is the pseudo-spiritual-science you have been looking for.
Last edited by Mr Danksworth on Jan 8th, 2010, 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

steven lloyd wrote:
Born_again wrote: I'm quite interested in knowing what the "interesting things" were.

Do you know anything about Noetic Science ? Any thoughts on that ?

How many people have had the feeling that someone's looking over their shoulder or staring at them and they turn around and someone is there? I've always wondered which sense is telling you that, seeing as it's none of our known senses.
They say you can't believe everything they say.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

zzontar wrote:How many people have had the feeling that someone's looking over their shoulder or staring at them and they turn around and someone is there? I've always wondered which sense is telling you that, seeing as it's none of our known senses.

Maybe something to do with electricomagnetic fields? The electric field of the heart can be detected with equipment several feet from the body....
-Max Planck
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tumult wrote:
Maybe something to do with electricomagnetic fields? The electric field of the heart can be detected with equipment several feet from the body....

Citation needed. The last I heard this was not possible.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Tumult wrote:
zzontar wrote:How many people have had the feeling that someone's looking over their shoulder or staring at them and they turn around and someone is there? I've always wondered which sense is telling you that, seeing as it's none of our known senses.

That's a possibility for a single person standing behind you, but rules out the sense someone is watching you when there are several people in a room.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

zzontar wrote: but rules out the sense someone is watching you when there are several people in a room.

Paranoia?
zzontar
Guru

Post by zzontar »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
zzontar wrote: but rules out the sense someone is watching you when there are several people in a room.

Paranoia?

Not when you can instantly look to where you think this person is and there they are watching you.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
Tumult wrote:

Citation needed. The last I heard this was not possible.

"The Vienna, Virginia, company, offers LifeGuard, a handheld ultra-low frequency electric field detector designed to spot a human electric field."
http://www.17mariposas.com/DKL/news_LET.php

"The familiar electric fields generated by heart action, measured in the course of an electrocardiogram, are more than a hundred times greater than the environmental fields."
http://www.sram.org/0301/electromagnetic-fields.html

Basically your heart produces the strongest electrical field in your body and thus is likely to be what the device is detecting.

Also there is heartmath.org that talks about the heart's electrical field but I think you'd find them a bit too esoteric for your liking.
-Max Planck

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”