A quote from Margaret Atwood's Book

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Tumult
Board Meister

A quote from Margaret Atwood's Book

Post by Tumult »

Margaret Atwood in her book: The Year of the Flood wrote:Once he asked me if I thought God was a cluster of neurons, and if so, whether people having that cluster had been passed down by natural selection because it conferred a competitive edge, or whether maybe it was just a spandrel, such as having red hair, which didn't matter one way or the another to your survival chances.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Re: A quote from Margaret Atwood's Book

Post by hellomynameis »

I currently prefer the hypothesis that supernatural phenomena is a byproduct of human consciousness, instincts and misunderstandings and that 'God' is a product of humanities progression of thought/explanation of these supernatural phenomena.

:147:
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

Hellomynameis wrote:I currently prefer the hypothesis that supernatural phenomena is a byproduct of human consciousness, instincts and misunderstandings and that 'God' is a product of humanities progression of thought/explanation of these supernatural phenomena.

It seems likely to me that one must be able to perceive things differently to experience what would be referred to as "supernatural" phenomena. If natural consciousness can produce or perceive these phenomena then are they simply natural rather than supernatural?

Let's hope humanity's thoughts/explanations continue to progress, as we know there are far to many people with static thoughts of 'God'.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Ah, I worded my post very badly, I will explain myself in more detail when I have the time.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

I got that book for Xmas, just started reading it this week.
I don't know in what context the quote is from.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

gardengirl wrote:I got that book for Xmas, just started reading it this week.

It's simply one of the characters (one of the gardeners) remembering interactions with someone from the corporate complex. Have you read Oryx and Crake? If you haven't and you like Year of the Flood then you should, it's the same world.
-Max Planck
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Tumult wrote:
gardengirl wrote:I got that book for Xmas, just started reading it this week.

It's simply one of the characters (one of the gardeners) remembering interactions with someone from the corporate complex. Have you read Oryx and Crake? If you haven't and you like Year of the Flood then you should, it's the same world.

I have only just started...page 20 I think. I have read one other Atwood book and was undecided if I liked it. I heard about this one and the plot sounded interesting.

Most of what I read is medical mystery/suspense/thriller type stuff.
Michael Palmer
Michael Connoly
Michael Crighton
Robin Cook
Tess Gerritson
Lisa Gardner
Lisa Jackson
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”