Inconceivable nature of nature

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Tumult
Board Meister

Re: Inconceivable nature of nature

Post by Tumult »

zzontar wrote:
Tumult wrote:
zzontar wrote:How many people have had the feeling that someone's looking over their shoulder or staring at them and they turn around and someone is there? I've always wondered which sense is telling you that, seeing as it's none of our known senses.

Maybe something to do with electricomagnetic fields? The electric field of the heart can be detected with equipment several feet from the body....

That's a possibility for a single person standing behind you, but rules out the sense someone is watching you when there are several people in a room.

Maybe it's a case of detecting the probability wave of everyone staring at you and when you turn around you collapse the wave into one person staring at you? If someone is thinking of you and their intention is focused on you they may produce some type of wave that resonates at a frequency close to your own making it detectable to you...:smt102
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Tumult wrote:"The Vienna, Virginia, company, offers LifeGuard, a handheld ultra-low frequency electric field detector designed to spot a human electric field."
http://www.17mariposas.com/DKL/news_LET.php

Looks like it's a fraud from the 90's.
http://www.skepdic.com/essays/dowsingfordollars.html

Tumult wrote:"The familiar electric fields generated by heart action, measured in the course of an electrocardiogram, are more than a hundred times greater than the environmental fields."
http://www.sram.org/0301/electromagnetic-fields.html

This has nothing to to with remote detection of heart signals.

Tumult wrote:Basically your heart produces the strongest electrical field in your body and thus is likely to be what the device is detecting.

But it isn't.

Tumult wrote:Also there is heartmath.org that talks about the heart's electrical field but I think you'd find them a bit too esoteric for your liking.

You are correct. When I ask for citations or links I expect the information to come from reputable sources.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

Here is a device that provides a Magnetocardiograph from outside the body. If they are able to provide information exact enough for medical use at such distances then surely simply detecting the presence of the electric field of the heart can be done at greater distance with sensitive equipment. According to the guy from heartmath they were able to detect the field 2-4 feet from the body and the Menninger clinic was able to detect the electric field at 10-12 feet.

Anyways, the point is the electrical field of the heart extends outside the body even if it is relatively weak.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Excellent, thanks for throwing me a line. Here is something more recent. Granted they have to do it in a sealed, magnetically neutral space. It's still awesome, nonetheless. I'm still calling bunkum on that lifefinder thingy though.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 131520.htm
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

It's known that sharks can sense electric fields and according to wikipedia
"A recent study has suggested that the same genes that contribute to a shark's sense of electroreception may also be responsible at least in part to the development of facial structures in humans"

Perhaps some people have some kind of genetic throwback that makes them more sensitive to electric fields??
-Max Planck
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

I've read some of your links tumult.....I'm in healthcare and I don't know of any equipment that would detect ECG waves without electrodes that are physically placed on a person. We don't have the Star Trek type tricorders yet. Infrared and electo/mag scanners are another matter but they are more of general type of detectors.....they are not able to detect milivolt signals like ecg and eeg signals.
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

dirtrider wrote:I've read some of your links tumult.....I'm in healthcare and I don't know of any equipment that would detect ECG waves without electrodes that are physically placed on a person. We don't have the Star Trek type tricorders yet. Infrared and electo/mag scanners are another matter but they are more of general type of detectors.....they are not able to detect milivolt signals like ecg and eeg signals.

"51-channel high Tc SQUID sensor system for magnetocardiography."
http://semrl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/SUPERCOM/70/70_e1.html

Magnetocardiography is pretty specific detection.

magnetism and electricity are intertwined...
-Max Planck
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

GO CANUCKS GO
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

Tumult wrote:
dirtrider wrote:I've read some of your links tumult.....I'm in healthcare and I don't know of any equipment that would detect ECG waves without electrodes that are physically placed on a person. We don't have the Star Trek type tricorders yet. Infrared and electo/mag scanners are another matter but they are more of general type of detectors.....they are not able to detect milivolt signals like ecg and eeg signals.

"51-channel high Tc SQUID sensor system for magnetocardiography."
http://semrl.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/SUPERCOM/70/70_e1.html

Magnetocardiography is pretty specific detection.

magnetism and electricity are intertwined...

Interesting article, the scanner looks more like an MR chamber....while I can appreciate the theory behind what the Japanese are trying to do, at this time I'm not sure if we have the techno know how to bring about what they are trying to do. It's the same as fusion theory, while we have the theory down pat, we are light years away from practical application.

ps.....the last wave that is shown in the article..... is that supposed to be a QRS complex?
dirtrider
Lord of the Board

Post by dirtrider »

I guess I was wrong......we are in fact closer than I thought.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/173900.php
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

ahem,

Tomorrow night, January 11, 7 pm

The Philosopher's Cafe at the Okanagan Jewish Community Center, 105 N. Glenmore Road.

A man who is both a scientist and a clergyman (Methodist Church) will give a talk titled, "Trench Warfare: Patrolling the Battle Lines between Science and Religion."

Who? Peter Steager, PhD in Anthropology from the University of California, Master's Degree in Zoology and anthropology, also from Berkeley.

Who's in?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

It'll be a tight squeeze to make it for 7pm, but God willing, I'll be there!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Well it looks like it'll be B_A and I taking it all in.

SL and Hello, if you could bend time and space, would you make it?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Born Again, did you make it? Were you the one in front asking that Question?

I was there. I too expected more on quantam physics.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

LOL, I was sitting towards the rear, grinding my teeth -- especially when that guy in the plaid shirt said that "science is the same as a religion because scientists have a belief in the big bang".
:127:

I think the speaker did an barely adequate job at representing views from both sides, and I certainly did take offence to him saying that the holocaust was an "atheistic Darwinian" inspired event. :purefury:

Add to that the multiple factual inaccuracies, like the 'earth spinning at 24,000mph', for example. :137:

Asides from the 1/2-hour wait for the keys to the hall, the evening was worthwhile to me, even if only for being in the presence of other atheists!

PS: I wore my "Touched by His noodley appendage" T-shirt to the synagogue for added carbo-protection. :dyinglaughing:

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”