Christians called Jews?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
BoB76
Guru

Christians called Jews?

Post by BoB76 »

Why are Christians called Christians and not Jewish like Jesus was?
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Christians called Jews?

Post by Piecemaker »

To put it simply (with no claim to theological expertise),the belief is that Jesus Christ, a Jewish man, died to save all that follow him as ancient Jewish prophets predicted. He rose from the dead and those that believed were called Christians, of Jewish descent (as well as other ancestries). The Jewish faith does not have the same belief. They await the arrival of the Messiah.
Someone can be of Jewish decent and convert to Christianity.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Piecemaker wrote:To put it simply (with no claim to theological expertise),the belief is that Jesus Christ, a Jewish man, died to save all that follow him as ancient Jewish prophets predicted. He rose from the dead and those that believed were called Christians, of Jewish descent (as well as other ancestries). The Jewish faith does not have the same belief. They await the arrival of the Messiah.
Someone can be of Jewish decent and convert to Christianity.

Will it make them not so cheap?? :dyinglaughing:
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

BoB76 wrote:Why are Christians called Christians and not Jewish like Jesus was?

Christianity is a religion, Jewish is an ethnicity.

Buddha was Indian, but people don't call my Dad an Indian even though he adheres to the teachings of Buddha. Hence, people don't call Christians Jews.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
BGV666
Übergod

Post by BGV666 »

So does that make Jewish people a race or a religion? Can you be born of Jewish decent and not be a Jew because you do not practice the Jewish faith, or once a Jew always a Jew? (no disrespect just don't know a better way to put it)
STUPID PEOPLE MAKE MY HEAD HURT.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

It seems that being a Jew can be either be a religion, an ethnicity, or both. It seems that people use the term ethno-religious, but that doesn't always fit either.

I remember a similar discussion from this spot.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Glacier wrote:
BoB76 wrote:Why are Christians called Christians and not Jewish like Jesus was?

Christianity is a religion, Jewish is an ethnicity.

Buddha was Indian, but people don't call my Dad an Indian even though he adheres to the teachings of Buddha. Hence, people don't call Christians Jews.

Not quite. Christians are called that because they accept Jesus as the Messiah (Christos in Greek). That is why Jews never refer to Jesus as Christ; that would mean they recognize Jesus as Christ, which they definitely don't -- except for messianic Jews. They also don't use BC and AD for the same reason.

It's not about religion vs. ethnicity, which is a whole other issue.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

BGV666 wrote:So does that make Jewish people a race or a religion?

I look at it as Jewish being the race, but Judaism as the religion.

Can you be born of Jewish decent and not be a Jew because you do not practice the Jewish faith, or once a Jew always a Jew? (no disrespect just don't know a better way to put it)

Seems to work both ways. I have a friend that says she's Jewish, although she's not practicing.if this is you preferred religious belief and someone asks you about your religion, chances are you'll say your Jewish.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Jewish people's faith is called "Judaism"
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

WTHWYT wrote:Jewish people's faith is called "Judaism"

No, because you can practice Judaism and not be of Jewish ethnicity. Do you think Sammy Davis Jr. came from Israel?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Why are Jews known to be cheap?? I think I know the answer but not possitive.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Phoenix Within wrote:

No, because you can practice Judaism and not be of Jewish ethnicity. Do you think Sammy Davis Jr. came from Israel?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

WTHWYT wrote:
Phoenix Within wrote:

A person of Jewish descent can be Christian too.

Try again.
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Phoenix Within wrote:
WTHWYT wrote:
Phoenix Within wrote:

A person of Jewish descent can be Christian too.

Try again.

I got give ripe what faith any jewish person or any other person wants to pick. Can pick any of these:Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, Judaism, Bahá'í Faith, etc etc or none As ask OP jewish is not a faith and/or religion get that threw your thick skull Okay PW
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

:coffeecanuck:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_jewish_an_ethnicity
Answer: Yes. It is unique in religious groups, in that it is both an ethnic and religious group.

Epic fail. Thanks for playing.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”