Christians called Jews?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Re: Christians called Jews?

Post by RR24K »

BoB76 wrote:Why are Christians called Christians and not Jewish like Jesus was?

Thank you "BoB" you given us so many entertaining threads on this forum. keep up the good work.

As for this thread :coffeecanuck:
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Windows... I mean, Jews 2.0?

And if Jews 2.0 subs in for Windows and are Christians than does that make Islam a Mac?

:spamcan:
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Mac users are pretty Zen. Buddhist maybe?
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Phoenix Within wrote:Mac users are pretty Zen.

:smt043
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

ever wonder what Bob thinks of late at night when he can't sleep for fear the clowns will eat him?
Now we know
matter of time til he has his own church
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

normaM wrote:matter of time til he has his own church

Didn't Culture Club do a song about that? I think it was called "Church of the Poison Mind"?
Pastor BoB George?

:coffeecanuck:
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

BoB76 wrote:Why are Christians called Christians and not Jewish like Jesus was?

Good ol' Bob - trying to stir something up with a question thinly desguised as a genuine inquiry?

Might have been convinced to give 1 breif, snapshot perspective on that topic. If it weren't for your subsequent posts, I probably would have submitted something like this:

Jesus (Yeshua) was a Torah observing Jew (Torah = God's instructions given to Moses at Mnt. Sinai) - and so were his disciples.

At the time of his life in Roman occupied Israel there were a few sects of Judaism that differed mostly in terms of the life application of these instructions.

Hillel & Shamai

1st century Judaism was fractionalized, but was dominated by the teachings and traditions of the Pharisees, and specifically the teachings of the schools of Hillel and Shamai. Generally, the Pharisees were very concerned with the strict interpretation of Torah (the letter of the law).

One of the ways that Yeshua’s message was different from the other Pharisees was His emphasis on the spirit of the law, the inner heart felt motives. Yeshua was not bringing a new Law. The heated exchanges between Yeshua and other Pharisees were most often based on differences of interpretation of Torah commandments, with some Pharisees emphasizing outward appearances while Yeshua emphasized inner heart motives.

Yeshua was teaching that the Torah commandments had to be combined with generous amounts of mercy, grace, forbearance and forgiveness. Yeshua wasn’t the only Pharisee that was teaching compassionate interpretations of the Torah. Yeshua’s approach are often in line with the Pharisaic school of Hillel.

The Torah interpretations of Hillel are characterized by more merciful, compassionate, and inclusive teachings - where as the school of Shamai was known for its strict, heavy handed, narrow interpretations.

The Messiah

The scriptures ("Old" Testament) say that the Messiah would be a descendant of Abraham through Isaac through Jacob through Judah, of the house of David, that he would be born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14) in the town of Bethlehem (Micah 5:2), that he would be preceded by a forerunner (Malachi 3:1), and it even predicts that he would arrive before the destruction of the Temple - which occurred in the year 70 C.E. (Daniel 9:24-26).

Furthermore, the Messiah would be a prophet like Moses (Deuteronomy 18:18-19), rejected by his own people (Isaiah 53:3), betrayed by a friend (Psalm 41:9), sold for thirty pieces of silver (Zechariah 11:12), smitten, spat upon and mocked (Psalm 22:7-8), crucified (Psalm 22), but would be raised from the dead in three days (Psalm 16:10, Jonah 1:17).

There are more than 300 prophecies in the Old Testament which all find their fulfillment in one particular man.

However, the Jews expected a Messiah who would come to change the world order. A Savior who would finaly free them from years of cruel oppression, who would bring peace on earth and resurrection of the dead. Jesus of Nazareth came and died and these didn't happen. The prophets were each speaking in their own way about their hopes for the future, but the kingdom of Israel remained under the brutal control of the Romans even after Yeshua's death.

The prophecies certainly didn't appear to have been completely fulfilled in the life of Jesus - at least for the Jews. If anything, the world got worse rather than better. Many Jews could not accept him as a Messiah, because he did not do what they expected Messiah was supposed to do.

The acceptance of Yeshua (Jesus) as Messiah began with those Jews who recognized him as a fulfillment of the promised Messiah. With the understanding and faith that the complete fulfillment of prophesy is yet to come.

The Abrahamic Covenant and the promised Messiah was always meant as a blessing that included all mankind from every nation, and through Yeshua the door was opened to pagan gentiles to be reconciled to the Almighty God of Abraham, Issac and Jacob (Israel). The original group of believers were fully Torah observant Jews (just like Yeshua) and it was expected that their new gentile 'brothers' would fully abandon their pagan ways and observe Gods commandments.

Over time the number of gentile believers grew and expanded throughout the known world.
For various political and cultural reasons, by the 4th century they completely abandoned the original ways of the Messiah and his disciples. These ways, dismissed by the gentile church leaders as mere foreign cultural customs and traditions, even became strictly and forcefully forbiden as they were far too Jewish to belong to the gentile "church of Christ".

Anything that appeared to be Jewish was replaced (Saturday Shabbat to Sunday - Appointed times (holy days) to Christmass, Lent, Easter ... - The Passover Seder to Comunion - etc...etc...)
And the new Christian church became the supposed replacement in God's eye for those bad ol' Jews.

The original followers of Yeshua had been merely seen as a fringe sect of Judaism
(Torah observing Jews who accept Yeshua as the Messiah and who openly welcomed Gentiles as co-heirs.)
They are now seen as a mere fringe sect of Christianity
(Torah observing Jews who accept Yeshua as Messiah and who openly welcome Gentiles as co-heirs.)

...but nevermind, instead, maybe i'll just mention that Scotts are also categorized as a cheap bunch. And strangely, none of the people who've ever tried to "gentile" me down on my quotes have been Jews or Scotts.

hmmm.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

BoB76 wrote:Why are Jews known to be cheap?? I think I know the answer but not possitive.

http://wik.ed.uiuc.edu/index.php/All_Je ... k_together
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
KtownCouple
Fledgling

Post by KtownCouple »

BoB76 wrote:Why are Jews known to be cheap?? I think I know the answer but not possitive.

That is extremely offensive and racist and has nothing to do with your OP
Edison : I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Wah.wah,wah. It's just a question. I just love how people get up in arms the second anybody says 'jew'.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Wah.wah,wah. It's just a question. I just love how people get up in arms the second anybody says 'jew'.

Having trouble reading between the lines (or one line in this case), are you?
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I did post a link to clarify his misconception. Problem solved. No need for any 'concern trolling'.
KtownCouple
Fledgling

Post by KtownCouple »

Mr Danksworth wrote:Wah.wah,wah. It's just a question. I just love how people get up in arms the second anybody says 'jew'.

What time does the show start?

How much is this bag of chips?

Where did I leave my keys?

Those are questions. Commenting on negative stereotypes and putting a question mark behind it doesn't make it a question, it makes it a racist jab with a very thin veil.
Edison : I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Precisely! Outside of a Wiki article or equivalent, "Why are Jews known to be cheap??" is never "just a question".
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”