Pat Robertson on Haiti

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
TDogg80
Fledgling

Pat Robertson on Haiti

Post by TDogg80 »

Did anyone hear Pat Robertson's comments on the Haiti quake yesterday?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5TE99sAbwM

Okay, straight from the Christian Broadcasting Network. Can any Christians please explain how this guy makes any sense at all? :ohmygod:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Pat Robertson on Haiti

Post by Queen K »

The comments were much more interesting than anything that sicko Pat would ever say or think to say.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

Maybe he should have thrown in the part where Haiti, a country of enslaved Africans, formed a amateur army and fended off the French (Which happened to be the most powerful army in the world at that time), Dutch and English to be the first nation of blacks to free itself from Europe. He must of missed that class. Even if that's a pact with the devil, it remains one of the most impressive David vs. Goliath footnotes in history.
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I'd make a deal with the devil to kick the french out too.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
quietlywatching84
Übergod

Post by quietlywatching84 »

You don't need the devil to do that ;p
Silence is golden and duct tape is silver.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

People like robertson hide behind religion with their right wing hate...while collecting pension money from brain washed elderly people who believe every word he says.............send money to me and I will get you into heaven :200:
Tumult
Board Meister

Post by Tumult »

I suspect Pat Robertson's comments stem from some delusional racist idea that the only way african slaves could defeat white oppressors is by making a pact with "the devil".
As a finicially successful promoter of evil in this world, it seems more likely that if anyone made a deal with "the devil" it was Pat Robertson.
“A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it”
-Max Planck
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

How well do you know Pat Robertson?

Love the advert for his "end of the world" tape set, classic!

Kind of sad that this twisted form of Christian theology gets as much support as it does in North America...
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Post by wthwyt »

Hellomynameis wrote:[
Kind of sad that this twisted form of Christian theology gets as much support as it does in North America...

I agree.

Personally I think Pat should pay Oral a visit but only one way ticket.

just kidding
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

quietlywatching84 wrote:

You don't need the devil to do that ;p

Yea, just start speaking German. They surrender immediately!
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

http://religionvirus.blogspot.com/2010/ ... igion.html SUNDAY,
JANUARY 17, 2010

Pat Robertson on Haiti: Why Religion Hates Science
Pat Robertson's idiotic claim that God caused the Haitian earthquake got me to thinking about just how much religion preys on ignorance.

Consider for a moment what Robertson is really saying. He claims God was angry about the Haitians making a pact with Satan about 250 years ago, around 1800. Now earthquakes don't just happen – it's not like God stomped on the ground really hard and everything jumped around. No, this earthquake has been brewing for ... wait a second, since 1843 when the last earthquake struck Haiti! (It killed 10,000 people. Maybe that was God's first blow against these sinners.)

But wait, there's more – it seems God screwed up. He blasted the place a couple times before the Haitians made their pact with Satan! According to Wikipedia, there was a magnitude 7.5 earthquakes in 1770, thirty years before the Haitians' pact, and another before that in 1751 that flattened the city.

In fact, it turns out God had to start his revenge on the Haitians hundreds of millions of years ago, when He created the geology of the area!

But wait a second ... it's that very geological fault that raised Haiti from the ocean floor in the first place. So if God hadn't need to get revenge, there wouldn't have been a Haiti in the first place, the French wouldn't have colonized it, killed the natives, and brought African slaves there, and they wouldn't have had to make that pact with Satan. So God's revenge is also the cause? My head is spinning.

Of all the things I dislike about religion, its reliance on ignorance is the worst. People with even a modest education in science can't stomach this Biblical literalism nonesense. It's so silly it's laugable ... except that so many people believe it.

Worse, religious leaders count on the fact that most of their followers don't understand even the most basic aspects of science. And to ensure their own survival, they actively oppose education, because they know that their superstitions will wither in the face of facts.

Robertson's childish notion of God is just an extreme view of what most religions claim: God alters the laws of physics in the universe that He created, just to reward or punish humans. Here we are, on a tiny planet. Our galaxy, the Milky Way, contains at least 200 billion stars, and there are many billions of other galaxies, which means there are an estimated nine billion trillion stars total. That's a big universe, yet God is over here in this corner, willing to change the fundamental laws of physics for the universe just because we're praying for our football team to win.

This is why religiousness falls with education, and why evangelicals are so opposed to real science. Their millenia-old ideas just can't stand up to the truth.

Unfortunately, people like Robertson prey on ignorance, and they're good at it. Education is the answer, but it will take time.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

If God destroys Port-Au-Prince for "sin" then God has a lot of explaining to do as to why Los Angeles and Hollywood are still standing. And an apology to Soddom and Gomorrah.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

Especially since according to the news last night, 75% of the Haitian population is Christian.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

... And an Evangelical contingent already exorcised Satan out of Haiti and changed the cursed tree, where the pact with the devil was reportedly made, into a blessed tree. This was done over a decade ago.

Many of the group even reported seeing, literally, an evil spirit leaving the tree.

I heard this tasty tidbit of information on 97.3 KIRO FM, straight from the mouth of a pastor, excellent source, no?

Like they ever needed better evidence to support their claims, so I'm playing under their house-rules.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Dear Pat Robertson,
I know that you know that all press is good press, so I appreciate the shout-out. And you make God look like a big mean bully who kicks people when they are down, so I'm all over that action. But when you say that Haiti has made a pact with me, it is totally humiliating. I may be evil incarnate, but I'm no welcher. The way you put it, making a deal with me leaves folks desperate and impoverished. Sure, in the afterlife, but when I strike bargains with people, they first get something here on earth -- glamour, beauty, talent, wealth, fame, glory, a golden fiddle. Those Haitians have nothing, and I mean nothing. And that was before the earthquake. Haven't you seen "Crossroads"? Or "Damn Yankees"? If I had a thing going with Haiti, there'd be lots of banks, skyscrapers, SUVs, exclusive night clubs, Botox -- that kind of thing. An 80 percent poverty rate is so not my style. Nothing against it -- I'm just saying: Not how I roll. You're doing great work, Pat, and I don't want to clip your wings -- just, come on, you're making me look bad. And not the good kind of bad. Keep blaming God. That's working. But leave me out of it, please. Or we may need to renegotiate your own contract.
Best, Satan
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”