New MS Treatment?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

New MS Treatment?

Post by Fritzthecat »

It looks promising and most of all, it makes sense.

I am wondering how the drug companies will react here? Considering some MS meds go for $400 per dose......

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... ?s_name=W5

P:I posted this in the wrong section initially, so I will post it here.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
peaceseeker
Lord of the Board

Re: New MS Treatment?

Post by peaceseeker »

Fritzthecat wrote:It looks promising and most of all, it makes sense.

I am wondering how the drug companies will react here? Considering some MS meds go for $400 per dose......

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... ?s_name=W5

P:I posted this in the wrong section initially, so I will post it here.

Yes, this looks very promising. Finally, something with the potential of positively treating this debilitating disease...I'm ecstatic! I was diagnosed with RRMS (relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis) seven years ago and am one who takes the aforementioned meds - it's a shot of beta-interferon taken weekly and costing around $400/dose (the taxpayer's cost)...my personal cost is about $100/month. While having 'something' to take for the disease is encouraging it should be understood that the beta-interferon only 'reduces the severity' and 'limits the amount' of any oncoming attacks, and does nothing to help/heal what has already been affected by previous attacks. Needless to say I was at a loss for words after watching the program on W5 last Saturday. I couldn't believe what I was hearing...could it be this easy? My sister also has MS (progressive) and found solace in learning that this treatment could thwart any further progression of her disease. You see, there's never really been anything for her to help combat the disease...she sounded so joyful (understandably) when speaking to her. I can only hope there will be enough public support (from healthy individuals also) to have this at the forefront of study within the MS Societies here in North America. Here are some more links to information regarding this discovery...

Chronic cerebrospinal venous insufficiency in patients with multiple sclerosis
http://jnnp.bmj.com/content/early/2008/ ... l.pdf+html
Paolo Zamboni, Roberto Galeotti, Erica Menegatti, et al.
J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry published online December 5, 2008

W5 - Liberation Treatment Q and A
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Health

Experimental MS surgery draws Canadian interest
http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/11/ ... ccsvi.html
"I think our society is run by insane people for insane objectives...I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends...but I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
~ John Lennon
Villagemaid
Fledgling

Post by Villagemaid »

I also have RRMS. Was diagnosed 9.5 years ago.

I find this extremely exciting and I want to have the MRV done to see if I too, have blocked veins. I am hoping that when I see my neurologist next week that I will get a referral to have it done and get the procedure started.

Trust me - I will have it done - hopefully through the medical system rather than having to pay, because those of us with disabilities know, money is tight to start with!! But I know that myself and my family will do whatever is necessary for me to get tested.

Has anyone seen thier neurologist since this wonder news was announced?
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Yes and the word is scepticism until scientific due process/testing is done, which I must agree with. Of course, this professional scepticism is essential when new treatments are discovered or proposed. Nobody wants a repeat of the Thalidomide disaster of the 1960's.
I would love it to be the answer, but I also want to make sure it has been tested thoroughly too. One thing that does excite me about this as it does not seem to be as invasive or dangerous as other treatments, like stem cell (long term risks?)and the "other one" where they wipe out your immune system and let it restart itself.

I do realize that the doctors here too must not offer false hope for their patients as well. I would love for them to say, "Book a flight to Italy ASAP!" but I know it will not happen. My biggest concern is the lobbying in Ottawa by pharmaceutical companies who do not want to lose their $20,000/year treatments because of a simple angioplasty.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

From what I can see, what negative effect could there be from clearing blocked carotid arteries?
That would benefit heart function, circulation and a lot of other things. It is almost like the benefit to the MS condition is just a perk.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

No Gardengirl, to someone with Ms It would not be just a perk. I have worked with many people with MS, and something as simple as angioplast as an answer ,would be a godsend.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

motorhomebabe wrote:No Gardengirl, to someone with Ms It would not be just a perk. I have worked with many people with MS, and something as simple as angioplast as an answer ,would be a godsend.

I think you missed my point. Even if it were not indicated as a treatment for MS, unblocking the arteries sounds like a good idea.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

gardengirl wrote:
motorhomebabe wrote:No Gardengirl, to someone with Ms It would not be just a perk. I have worked with many people with MS, and something as simple as angioplast as an answer ,would be a godsend.

I think you missed my point. Even if it were not indicated as a treatment for MS, unblocking the arteries sounds like a good idea.

Well you would assume so.
It makes sense from a strictly vascular point of view to open up the vein, MS or not. I think the hesitancy is due to MS patients getting a false sense of hope of that they have been cured.
Myself, I would think restoring a body part to function as it should would be reason enough to have the angioplasty done. If this venous insufficiency was in ANY OTHER ORGAN, I would think there would be no question as to whether it should or should no be opened up.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Fritzthecat wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

Well you would assume so.
It makes sense from a strictly vascular point of view to open up the vein, MS or not. I think the hesitancy is due to MS patients getting a false sense of hope of that they have been cured.
Myself, I would think restoring a body part to function as it should would be reason enough to have the angioplasty done. If this venous insufficiency was in ANY OTHER ORGAN, I would think there would be no question as to whether it should or should no be opened up.

Exactly.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
peaceseeker
Lord of the Board

Post by peaceseeker »

Phoenix Within wrote:Planning to do a study in BC now:
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... pStoriesV2

Yahoooooo! :sunshine:
"I think our society is run by insane people for insane objectives...I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends...but I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it."
~ John Lennon
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

It is rather encouraging that this treatment is still in the news. We have seen quite a few treatments come and go in the last few years and this one is still here.
It seems to be that there might be "something" to this.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

You don't want it too often in the news either or people will "tune it out" and the message possibly lost.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
peaceseeker
Lord of the Board

Post by peaceseeker »

YAHOOOOO!!

http://www.healingwell.com/community/de ... &m=1702150
News from Dr. Zamboni- CCSVI lesions classified as congenital
Today at 10:47am

Received an e-mail from Dr. Zamboni this morning-

A Consensus Conference on Venous Malformations - headed by Prof. Byung B Lee from Georgetown - and experts from 47 countries- studied the evidence and unanimously voted in favour of officially including the stenosing lesions found in CCSVI in the new Consensus document and Guidelines. Now published-

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2008 ... dinalpos=1

This paper can be brought/linked to interventional radiologists and vascular surgeons. CCSVI lesions are classified as a truncular venous malformations - which means that vascular doctors have now classified this disease, CCSVI, as congenital- and preceding MS lesions.

Vascular doctors have agreed. CCSVI comes first.

Dr. Zamboni has been speaking to medical panels around the world. Yesterday was a "4 hour machine gunning of questions" by the Italian, Canadian and US MS Societies in Milan- Dr. Zamboni said he was able to answer all the questions with scientific evidence, and was quite pleased with the meeting's outcome. He'll be in North American soon.

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-9954-0-d ... rasc-.html

http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=272090457210
~ John Lennon
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

great news I'm sure, but can you cut it down and give it to us in the Cliff notes version for those who aren't versed in the details of the disease?

Return to “Health”