Look what happening in the State of Tennessee

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Look what happening in the State of Tennessee

Post by RR24K »

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2010/01/ ... 264828513/

I was wondering how long this was going to take before came full circle.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Re: Look what happening in the State of Tennessee

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Just the first step down the long slippery slope to talibanesque mind control of the young and impressionable.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

old-bushman wrote:Just the first step down the long slippery slope to talibanesque mind control of the young and impressionable.

"... implementing a 2008 state law calling for "non-sectarian, non-religious academic study of the Bible," The (Nashville) Tennessean reported. The guidelines include a requirement that literature from other religions be available for students. Bible courses cannot be compulsory."

Am I missing something ?
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Yes, you are missing something. Four words.

Just The First Step
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

old-bushman wrote:Yes, you are missing something. Four words.

Just The First Step

:137: So taking the first step toward critical study of religion as opposed to dogmatic study is ... ?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

steven lloyd wrote:

Just The First Step

:137: So taking the first step toward critical study of religion as opposed to dogmatic study is ... ?

Most would agree "is...smart." However....
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Queen K wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: :137: So taking the first step toward critical study of religion as opposed to dogmatic study is ... ?

Do we "protect" our children from religion by hiding them from it (or imposing our own beliefs), or by giving them the knowledge and thinking skills to evaluate it for themselves ?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

steven lloyd wrote:
Queen K wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: :137: So taking the first step toward critical study of religion as opposed to dogmatic study is ... ?

Do we "protect" our children from religion by hiding them from it (or imposing our own beliefs), or by giving them the knowledge and thinking skills to evaluate it for themselves ?

Some would chose the former part of that sentence over the latter. Good thing the United States is big enough for all types of schools.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

steven lloyd wrote:

Just The First Step

I have no problem with that, as long as that is what is happening in the classroom.

Tennessee's new state approved Bible class

The Tennessee Board of Education has approved guidelines on how to teach the Bible in public high schools. The curriculum was created in response to 2008 legislation which authorized the state to create a course for a “nonsectarian, nonreligious academic study of the Bible.”

Beginning in the fall of 2010 high schools that want to teach students from the Bible will be able to do so using this approved curriculum. Here are a few of the guidelines according to the Tennessean:

• Students will read biblical narratives, identify chief characters and analyze plot, literary form and intended impact on the reader.

• Students will learn and discuss pivotal historical events and geographic locations and compare the religious, social and cultural lives in the ancient world.

• Students will show how the Bible has impacted art, literature, music and thought by reading pieces of work that use biblical allusions and listening to music that relies on biblical text.

State officials have gone to great pains in developing principles for the new class which are safe from court challenges. Yet there are those who believe that the new state-approved Bible course could violate church and state separation. They insist that much of it depends on who is doing the teaching.

The class will be an elective class for credit in Social Studies and not a required course.

There are some districts that already have a Bible course as part of their educational program. They are not required, under law, to teach the new state-approved curriculum and will continue to use the curriculum that they already have in place.

Also depends which article you read http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-schw ... 42511.html
Last edited by RR24K on Jan 31st, 2010, 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

So Tennessee is a very religious state. Isn't it also ground zero for toothless mudbogging trailerpark rednecks? Is there a connection between low IQ and strong religious beliefs?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

old-bushman wrote:So Tennessee is a very religious state. Isn't it also ground zero for toothless mudbogging trailerpark rednecks? Is there a connection between low IQ and strong religious beliefs?

:137: Are ypu perpetuating redneck stereotypes again bushman ?
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Just answer the question.

Have you hugged a redneck today?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

roadrunner24k wrote: Also depends which article you read http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jeff-schw ... 42511.html

Yes, much will depend on who is doing the teaching and I believe that is something that should be monitored. I mean, there is little of concern to be noted by these guidelines:

• Students will read biblical narratives, identify chief characters and analyze plot, literary form and intended impact on the reader.

• Students will learn and discuss pivotal historical events and geographic locations and compare the religious, social and cultural lives in the ancient world.

• Students will show how the Bible has impacted art, literature, music and thought by reading pieces of work that use biblical allusions and listening to music that relies on biblical text.

The article which is linked presumes teachers will have a private religious agenda and maybe that is true. We have the same issue in our own classrooms with private political agendas. How do we counter that?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

old-bushman wrote: Just answer the question.

Is this really the question you are seriously asking:
Is there a connection between low IQ and strong religious beliefs?

I have no statisical data to make an inference one way or the other, but I would highly doubt it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

old-bushman wrote: Have you hugged a redneck today?

No. I only hug people who bath regularly O:) .

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”