The Olympics have been cancelled due to bankruptcy.......

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
skydawg
Lord of the Board

Re: The Olympics have been cancelled due to bankruptcy.......

Post by skydawg »

flamingfingers wrote:
skydawg wrote:[quote'.

...snip....
wing and get the exposure of being an Olympic site. If you are looking for something that will sink the Games, this ain't it. "

Too Bad

*bleep*??

YOU want the games to flop? If the games do not produce enough revenue to pay the bills, WE have to pay the balance. I am not a fan of the Olympics either man, but get a grip!

I hope the games are a resounding success and money just POURS in so all of us TAXPAYERS do not have an even greater debt to pay !![/quote]
Good luck with that
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

flamingfingers wrote: *bleep*?? YOU want the games to flop? If the games do not produce enough revenue to pay the bills, WE have to pay the balance. I am not a fan of the Olympics either man, but get a grip! I hope the games are a resounding success and money just POURS in so all of us TAXPAYERS do not have an even greater debt to pay !!

I agree. Whether you support or oppose this ludicrous fiasco, we can only hope it at least breaks even. I am not very optimistic though, and expect our children’s children will still be paying for this.
MADGE
Fledgling

Post by MADGE »

:ohmygod:

All that and no snow. The buds are up and Vancouver is the mildest city in Canada. Ludicrist to start with. It is Spring by March and all the trees in Stanley park are in bloom. I know someone who wants to make a name for himself. I think it has something to do with soup.
I think he will have egg on his face to go along with the soup and a kilt.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Sorry to 'rain' (pun intended) on your parade but the Olympics WILL be a flop. I knew this from the beginning.

Yea I am opposed to the Olympics when I have to pay for it but if you are going to have it in Vancouver, have a Summer Olympics. Vancouver really is a beautiful city in the Summer. I love visiting in the Summer. But in Feb??!! That is the most miserable time of year in Vancouver. All these winter Olympics will do is advertise that fact!
Find something to give a damn about!
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I was listening to Michael Jay (vice-president of Big White and Silver Star) interview today on the radio. When the host brought up the concern over the weather and lack of snow, Michael flat out laughed. According to him, there's no doubt that Vanoc will pull it off, there's 3 levels of contingency put in place for events of that magnitude.

No reason to lie for him since he's not involved in Olympics at all, but knows a lot about the industry.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

Of course they will pull it off...How does that saying go? Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

zerograv wrote:Of course they will pull it off...How does that saying go? Anything is possible if you throw enough money at it.

Yea, I wonder how much trucking and helicoptering in tons of snow will add to the bill.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Al Czervic wrote:I think your headline very misleading. You seem to have missed that part in the articles you posted where it says....

A source familiar with the process told CBC News the Games are not being used as a bargaining chip, since the auction will not happen until after the Games have begun.

What do you have to say for yourself now Al?
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=23574&start=0
Do you like your crow stewed or deep fried?
Last edited by Cateyes on Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

grammafreddy wrote:The Vancouver 2010 Paralympic Winter Games will be an historic event in Canadian sport. These Games are the first Paralympic Winter Games held in Canada. From March 12 – 21, state-of-the-art sporting venues in Whistler and Vancouver will host 1,350 athletes and teams officials, from 44 countries.

How long do they expect this auction to last? Until after the Paralympics are done, too? There's 5 paralympic events, three of which will be held at Whistler.

What do you have to say for yourself now gramma?
Last edited by Cateyes on Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

zerograv wrote:The Us Investment firms are bluffing on this potentially cancelling the Olympics, there is to much American interest involved, but they are going to get their money and WE are going to be paying for it. Personally, I feel that VANOC should have some accountability for the now proven fact that the venues weren't audited prior to the Olympics to see if it was economically feasible to host events there.

The main problem here is that B.C. is dead broke. We couldn't buy Whistler or even cover the debt if we wanted to (besides we don't need another athletes village on our hands). This Funding is therefore going to come in the form of a Federal "Bail-out." The Olympics are to big and to close to fail. The big wigs wouldn't want to be made fools would they?

Lets just watch and see how fast they come up with the money now that an American Investment Firm has them by the Ca hones. I can't wait to watch the press conference over this one.

What do you have to say for yourself now zerograv.
Got a big ole pot of crow here for ya!
Last edited by Cateyes on Feb 2nd, 2010, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Captain Awesome wrote:I glanced over it, and I'm pretty sure that:

- Olympics won't be affected at all.
- BC gov't won't be affect at all.
- This is just good move for the lenders to present the property to potential buyers at the best light possible.

I don't know why insinuate that BC taxpayers will be buying the resort to save the Olympics.

What do you have to say for yourself now Cap't not so awesome?
What is your favorite crow recipe?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Cateyes wrote:

- This is just good move for the lenders to present the property to potential buyers at the best light possible.

I don't know why insinuate that BC taxpayers will be buying the resort to save the Olympics.

Hey, I want the government to pay for my latest collection of jelly beans. But is it going to happen? Probably not. If BC Gov't in fact pays that money, I'll take that crow. Until now - it's all heresy.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Cateyes wrote:

Hey, I want the government to pay for my latest collection of jelly beans. But is it going to happen? Probably not. If BC Gov't in fact pays that money, I'll take that crow. Until now - it's all heresy.

Bahaha! Sorry, not gonna let you try weasel out that easily. The point is NOT whether the gov't pays. The whole point is that Fortress has them by the balls and is squeezing. You were saying, oh no I'm sure everyone will sing kumbaya and it will all work out.

Capt'n crunch meet crow. Enjoy. Maybe try it with ketchup...yummmm.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Cateyes wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:I think your headline very misleading. You seem to have missed that part in the articles you posted where it says....

A source familiar with the process told CBC News the Games are not being used as a bargaining chip, since the auction will not happen until after the Games have begun.

What do you have to say for yourself now Al?
Do you like your crow stewed or deep fried?

Well much like last time you are again jumping to conclusions without first looking at all of the information. From reading the CBC news article you posted the Federal Government denies there are ANY ongoing negotiations with Fortress. Further Fortress alludes to a 2002 agreement made with Vancoc regarding use of the resort for the Olympics.

It appears from a quick glance that whatever fees that were negotiated the owners now would like those fees paid up front, in other words likely sooner than what the agreement called for. The agreement thus far has not been made public so we cannot confirm this information.

Also you should understand that these are two separate issues. The first issue you posted about pertained to the creditors looking to foreclose on the resort for a February 19th deadline. This most recent article you referenced pertains to the activities of Fortress as they clearly scramble to try and come up with the money to meet their payment obligations.

However to recap in summary: To date the Olympics have NOT been cancelled thus far as your first headline implied. Secondly this most recent action is on behalf of the resorts’ current owners and NOT creditors and it appears they are only asking for funds they believe they are owed as part of an agreement that has yet to be publicly disclosed. For obvious reasons they will try and speed up when that payment is made. They simply have no choice not too.

Just some friendly advice but maybe actually try reading the full articles you post about and not just reading the headline of the article in question. You might find that the headline alone does not always tell the full story. Much like the headline you attributed to this thread.
Back with a vengeance
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Cateyes wrote:

What is your favorite crow recipe?

So Cateye’s now that the Feb. 19th date has passed and the Olympics are still humming along as many of us said they would be what would you like to say to the posters above you trash talked.

What would you like to say to grammafreddy ?
to zerograv ?
to Captain Awesome ? More so as Captain Awesome’s comments were bang on and yours….well not so bang on.

and by the way...what is YOUR favorite crow recipe ?
Back with a vengeance

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”