Christians called Jews?

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
wthwyt
Lord of the Board

Re: Christians called Jews?

Post by wthwyt »

:popcorn:
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Homeownertoo wrote:Precisely! Outside of a Wiki article or equivalent, "Why are Jews known to be cheap??" is never "just a question".

Homeownertoo wrote:Precisely! Outside of a Wiki article or equivalent, "Why are Jews known to be cheap??" is never "just a question".

Really? That smells like it could be an assumption.

I could ask, very legitimately, "Why is there the stereotype of the 'cheap Jew'?" and there are some very legitimate answers of why the stereotype exists.

So,
"Why are Jews known to be cheap??"

could just be a poorly worded form of the same question I posed.

Simply talking about it doesn't mean anyone is making a racist slight against the Jewish people.

But... To be fair... This is Bob we're talking about :sillygrin:
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Hellomynameis wrote:I could ask, very legitimately, "Why is there the stereotype of the 'cheap Jew'?" and there are some very legitimate answers of why the stereotype exists.

So,

Simply talking about it doesn't mean anyone is making a racist slight against the Jewish people.

Talking about the assumption isn't racist, making the assumption is. As you said, it is Bob, so we can safely bet he is being racist. I just ignore him now :sillygrin:
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

:cursor:
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Relax,
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .medication right here:

1258064058722.jpg
- Carl Sagan
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

I Believe you could say "jewish descent", but you can also say some one is of the "jewish faith"

I think you could say that those exiled from the kingdom of Judah to be jewish but i dont know exaclty where the historical marker on what group of people. I assume that the kingdom of judah or israel were of mixed ethnicities as they were trading hubs as well as religious centers.

I think the descriptors come more from the religious lineage rather than the acctual genetic lineage.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Hellomynameis wrote:Relax,
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .medication right here:

Wow - looks like Mr Clinton has gained a few pounds!
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Hellomynameis wrote:

Really? That smells like it could be an assumption.

I could ask, very legitimately, "Why is there the stereotype of the 'cheap Jew'?" and there are some very legitimate answers of why the stereotype exists.

So,

They used to be known as money keepers. That's why they are good with it. I looked it up!!
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

lol *slaps forehead*

i believe that label was placed due to the level of literacy and education. Due to the natural repercussions of their way of life (studying for your bahrmitzvah (sp? im sorry... i know i butchered the spelling) is an incredible task for any young child) they were basically at the top of the game as far as being fit for administrative service. As a result of their enslavement they survived by using their brains and religion in peacefull ways.

If i remember correctly, the story of Joseph (yes the technicolored dreamcoat guy) shows a great example of this. The rulers of the time tended to want things in prophecies and dreams rather than scientific facts so my own oppinon is that joseph "interpreted" the dream in a way that alerted the pharaoh of the up comming food shortage in his annual estimates.
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

So if someone makes a jew joke are they racist or are they just making fun of a religion? If I were to make a Christian joke it wouldn't be racist it'd......well it'd probably be just funny. :spinball:
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

I like Mel Brooks's stance on it. Either its all ok to make fun of, or none of it is.

The fact is humor is a coping mechanism for cultural diffusion. Its when people act upon impulses that cause them to break laws. Humanitarian laws laid down and evolved through the history of the struggle of human life globally.

But the odd joke here and there is ok, so long as we all keep laughing at eachother. If we took things in life that seriously im not sure it would be that worth living...
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

I was thinking about how people seem to read the Bible a whole lot more as they get older; then it dawned on me . . they're cramming for their final exam.

George Carlin
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

Homeownertoo wrote:
Glacier wrote:
BoB76 wrote:Why are Christians called Christians and not Jewish like Jesus was?

Christianity is a religion, Jewish is an ethnicity.

Buddha was Indian, but people don't call my Dad an Indian even though he adheres to the teachings of Buddha. Hence, people don't call Christians Jews.

Not quite. Christians are called that because they accept Jesus as the Messiah (Christos in Greek). That is why Jews never refer to Jesus as Christ; that would mean they recognize Jesus as Christ, which they definitely don't -- except for messianic Jews. They also don't use BC and AD for the same reason.

It's not about religion vs. ethnicity, which is a whole other issue.

how does circumsision fit in?
GO CANUCKS GO
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

carried over from the old jewish traditions. I think it started for the purpose of sanitation. Less risk of skin infections in life(granted that the surgery and recovery goes well).

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”