OLYMPICS Poll

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.

Should the Olympics be held in one country?

Yes
61%
No
36%
Undecided
3%

Total votes: 33

Advocate
Guru

OLYMPICS Poll

Post by Advocate »

Some folks think it would be best to hold the Olympics on one place.........the most common favourite seems to be in Greece, where it all began.

This way, each country could contribute financially to the games, but hold them where everything is set up, resulting in much less cost to other countries to host the games.

So, the losses would include this tourism thing, where they believe bringing guests into our country and province might encourage them to spend money here, and perhaps stay and contribute to the tax base.

How do you feel about this idea?
What other losses would other countries face by not being in the line-up to host the Olympics?
What benefits do you see in holding the games in one country?
dogman
Fledgling

Re: OLYMPICS Poll

Post by dogman »

Since I was one of the ones who have brought this up, I voted yes.I was thinking Switzerland,a neutral country and lots of snow.I think it would be a lot cheaper to build the facilities Taking into account it only has to be done once.Every country who wants to participate would have to contribute.They could probably build something state of the art that would be used every time.Could be hosted by different countries every time.Tourists would still go there and maybe the host country could get a bigger chunk of any profits.The facilities could also be used for training and other world class events in between.Even security could be handled easier having everything in one place. There are several countries pitching in to build the international space station,surly if that can be accomplished we should be able to build a olympic venue together.
The way it is being done these days it looks like every host county has to out do the last and have the biggest and best games ever at any cost.Wasting our tax dollars.It only seems to benefit a small percentage of people. just suggestions is all.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

What? That's the worst idea ever.

You want Canada to pay money for an event that we won't be able to benefit from. Someone else will be getting billions of dollars in revenue, created jobs, infrastructure, increased sports participation, tourism, and so on? All on our bill? Sorry, it makes LESS sense than actually hosting Olympics and benefiting from it. Why not just give money to random people in other countries?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

The price tag for summer Olympic game is getting way out of control Beijing's Summer Olympic Games 58.5 billion that just insane. London 2012 may theirs to be under 10 billion (if they are lucky:) ) for a 17 day event.
I am not against sports, Olympics ( both summer & winter ) is a dinosaur that needs to overhauled from Ivory tower down.
dogman
Fledgling

Post by dogman »

Captain Awesome wrote:What? That's the worst idea ever.

You want Canada to pay money for an event that we won't be able to benefit from. Someone else will be getting billions of dollars in revenue, created jobs, infrastructure, increased sports participation, tourism, and so on? All on our bill? Sorry, it makes LESS sense than actually hosting Olympics and benefiting from it. Why not just give money to random people in other countries?

No ,that's nothing about what I said.I am saying if it's a joint venture between countries,Everybody pays to fund it, not just us.Jobs to build it are also shared by countries equally.Each country would share in the revenue generated equally.Maybe A host country could be given a bigger portion of revenue.
Much in the way the international space station is being built.
I never said canada would pay and not benefit.I never said someone else would be getting millions.The infrastructure would benefit all countries as we all would be using it.
Anyway it is only an idea.Weather good or bad .I've been complaining about the insane cost of these olympics and each country who hosts it after.Just like a lot of people on this form.Perhaps you have some better ideas instead of just criticism on how there can be olympics without such exorbitant costs.
Please read before you jump to conclusion.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

I hear what you say about revenue.

But how do you share jobs? How do you share infrastructure that stays in there for future use for everybody? How do you share inspiration for sports? How do you share tourism?
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

Captain Awesome wrote:I hear what you say about revenue.

But how do you share jobs?

Hire internationally.

How do you share infrastructure that stays in there for future use for everybody?

Use it every four years, like everyone else.

How do you share inspiration for sports?

By participating in the Olympics, wherever it is held.

How do you share tourism?

Bring your brochures, cds, set up tourism booths.
dogman
Fledgling

Post by dogman »

Good points advocate.
Also the facilities don't have to restricted to only use every 4 years.It could be used year round all the time for training,for different world class events,there by generating revenue all the time.
Captain, I don't have all the answers, but sometimes through discussion and other peoples opinions and input, Ideas can come to amount to something.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: Someone else will be getting billions of dollars in revenue, created jobs, infrastructure, increased sports participation, tourism, and so on? All on our bill? Sorry, it makes LESS sense than actually hosting Olympics and benefiting from it.

That would make sense if what you said made sense. Someone else can incure the billions of dollars in debt (well maybe less with the infrastruture already in place), and since there is little if any overall benefit created from jobs (except for temporary volunteer and minimum wage positions), infrastructure (if it's needed it should be built anyway), increased sports participation (?), tourism, and so on, it would be a no lose (or at least less lost) situation for everyone.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

RR24K wrote:I am not against sports, Olympics ( both summer & winter ) is a dinosaur that needs to overhauled from Ivory tower down.

:smt023
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Advocate wrote:Hire internationally.

That's not creating jobs. That's going after jobs oversees.

Use it every four years, like everyone else.

Nope. I didn't mean using those facilities. Say, Vancouver built long overdue Sea-To-Sky highway (upgraded), convention center, skating ovals, SkyTrain, etc. Those are good things that we'll keep using in years to come. Now, if we pay money to Egypt to build them, we don't exactly get any benefit out of them. At least now Canadian citizens can enjoy all those things here. But if it's in Egypt - I don't really want to pay for it.

Bring your brochures, cds, set up tourism booths.

Well, if that was the answer, Internet would solve all the tourism woes, but it hasn't.
Advocate
Guru

Post by Advocate »

I suppose another factor is home-games advantage? Canadians are expected to win a lot of medals this year.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Advocate wrote:I suppose another factor is home-games advantage? Canadians are expected to win a lot of medals this year.

Well, lets just see come Feb 28. Go Canada Go
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

I only support this idea it it's held In BC every time.
Your bias suits you.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

whatisupcastanet wrote:
Advocate wrote:I suppose another factor is home-games advantage? Canadians are expected to win a lot of medals this year.

Well, lets just see come Feb 28. Go Canada Go

At an expected cost of $259 million per medal, let's hope so.

* there's tax money well spent :127:

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”