Arnie Carrying the Torch

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Mutha
Generalissimo Postalot

Arnie Carrying the Torch

Post by Mutha »

Wasn't Swarzenegger trying to organize a boycott of the Canadian film industry 5 or 10 years ago to protect jobs in California? I don't see why he should be carrying the torch. Surely there are Canadians who would like to do it, after all, we're paying for these games.
Liberty and Truth

Re: Arnie Carrying the Torch

Post by Liberty and Truth »

When Arnie was filming the "Sixth Day" in Vancouver the film production crew used a house that was owned by parents of a friend of mine. They said Arnie was an awesome guy and a real gentleman. I for one think it's cool he's up here to help us promote the Olympics. Good on him. Now watch this thread degenerate into yet another round of Olympics bashing.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Maybe we could just bash Steroidman instead?

Don't you know ... he's a good buddy of Campbell's. (and we're all in trouble if Campbell is taking financial advice from him)
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

MisterPeePee wrote:Wasn't Schwarzenegger trying to organize a boycott of the Canadian film industry 5 or 10 years ago to protect jobs in California? I don't see why he should be carrying the torch. Surely there are Canadians who would like to do it, after all, we're paying for these games.

It`s funny that so many people are up-in-arms about this, when most don`t really know how deserving he is to have such an honour.

1. His Mother-in-law was a founder of the Special Olympics
2. Schwarzenegger is the Global Ambassador to the Special Olympics (something most news stories fail to mention)
3. Many special Olympians consider Arnie a hero, his celebrity has help bring their sports to the forefront with his image and endorsements.
4. Tourism. (this one seems pretty obvious)
5. Arnie has donated more money and time to the Special Olympics than probably all of the other torch runners combined.
6. B.C and the State of California have extensive ties to one another through the `green`sector.

The Olympics are an international event, we are just the host nation. Why shouldn`t people other than Canadians be able to run with it?
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

With all the steroids, Arnold Schwarzenegger did in his life I don't believe he should be the ambassador for anything that promotes amateur sports.......it is straight out and out hypocrisy....

All it is, is a bunch of political hacks being starstruck by a Hollywood actor, and a man who is driven his own state into complete bankruptcy
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Go Arnie!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

grumpydigger wrote:With all the steroids, Arnold Schwarzenegger did in his life I don't believe he should be the ambassador for anything that promotes amateur sports.......it is straight out and out hypocrisy....

All it is, is a bunch of political hacks being starstruck by a Hollywood actor, and a man who is driven his own state into complete bankruptcy

Hate to break it to you, but prior to about 2003, EVERY ATHLETE in international competition, or professional sports were using steroids, growth hormones, cortizone, or some type of supplement that is considered illegal now. Many antihistamines you use to get your kids back to school are banned and worse for the body than steroids.
As an amateur athlete in the 80's, 90's and 00's, it was absolutely common practice to use (currently banned) drugs and supplements to heal faster and recover. To ban Arnie is hypocritical.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

Arnie was nothing but a weightlifting bodybuilding show off, who used steroids to the extreme in order to push himself to fame in Hollywood...... what the heck does that have to do with Olympic and amateur sports....

I get the impression, that you're trying to justify steroid use in the past .just so this good buddy of Gordon Campbell can stroke his own ego and put another notch in his arrogant belt.......

I can think of dozens of other people that deserved,to carry the torch in that extremely prominent position just before the games...........

All I see is a bunch of starstruck people, and political hacks trying to get their moment in the sun by standing behind some Hollywood fool........
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

grumpydigger wrote:Arnie was nothing but a weightlifting bodybuilding show off, who used steroids to the extreme in order to push himself to fame in Hollywood...... what the heck does that have to do with Olympic and amateur sports....

I get the impression, that you're trying to justify steroid use in the past .just so this good buddy of Gordon Campbell can stroke his own ego and put another notch in his arrogant belt.......

I can think of dozens of other people that deserved,to carry the torch in that extremely prominent position just before the games...........

All I see is a bunch of starstruck people, and political hacks trying to get their moment in the sun by standing behind some Hollywood fool........

Nope-you read me wrong. His steroid use is one thing, his qualifications to run the torch is another. I merely pointed out that if you disqualify him for steroid use, I would suggest that most of the former athletes that ran the torch should also have been banned.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

zerograv wrote:5. Arnie has donated more money and time to the Special Olympics than probably all of the other torch runners combined.

Arnie also HAS more money and time to the Special Olympics than probably all of the other torch runners combined.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

another piece of info for you. When Arnie was an amateur bodybuilder, steroid use wasn't banned from the sport.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
Bejvas
Lord of the Board

Post by Bejvas »

Here is a worth watching video about Arnie carrying the torch, beware of adult language use :censored:

Vancouver 2010 Olympics : Torch Relay / Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminated - music by Conspirituality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1djC3D1dxdc
"Just because you're angry, it doesn't mean you have the right to be cruel."
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Nothingistruth wrote:Vancouver 2010 Olympics : Torch Relay / Arnold Schwarzenegger Terminated - music by Conspirituality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1djC3D1dxdc

What a load of BS. They openly call him a Nazi, and draw parallel to Hitler. You have to be mentally insane to do that.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Phoenix Within
Guru

Post by Phoenix Within »

I had issues with Arnie and the torch until zerograv posted the connection to Arnie and the Special Olympics. Thanks, by the way.
So I love the Okanagan but it's a place best enjoyed from atop a very large pile of $100 bills. - Spocky
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Phoenix Within wrote:I had issues with Arnie and the torch until zerograv posted the connection to Arnie and the Special Olympics. Thanks, by the way.

Me too ,just goes to show you ,that sometimes jumping the gun without all the information doesnt pay.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”