Died today on practise run at Whistler.

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
MADGE
Fledgling

Died today on practise run at Whistler.

Post by MADGE »

:ohmygod:

We just lost a bobsledder down the louge at Whistler. An athlete from the Soviet just died at the scene after going over the wall and hit a pole. Poor guy. We just got started. This was on channel 48 American noon news. I guess we will get more details later. The News said this louge is the fastest in the world.
Ironhorse1
Fledgling

Re: Died today on practise run at Whistler.

Post by Ironhorse1 »

What the heck was a pole doing near that corner?
Last edited by Ironhorse1 on Feb 12th, 2010, 1:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jupitergal
Fledgling

Post by Jupitergal »

It's on Castanet's front page, it's all over the news now. And it was luge, not bobsled.

That's a horrible way to start the games.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

21 - how sad. :(
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I saw it this morning on the news. It was awful, like watching a rag doll hit a stationary object.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Nebula wrote:I saw it this morning on the news. It was awful, like watching a rag doll hit a stationary object.

I can't help but wonder why a pole would be on the outside of a corner by design rather than the inside?

One would think that engineers might give consideration as to where impact zones are on corners just as is done in racing.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Nebula wrote:I saw it this morning on the news. It was awful, like watching a rag doll hit a stationary object.

YouTube....

This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by International Olympic Committee.

Imagine that.
Not afraid to say "It".
MADGE
Fledgling

Post by MADGE »

There is a press release right now as I speak on channel 5 CTV

Jacques Togge IOC president said Nodar Kumaritashivili died during the incident. His family has been notified. There will be a full investigation so we shall see. Very sad.
MADGE
Fledgling

Post by MADGE »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

I can't help but wonder why a pole would be on the outside of a corner by design rather than the inside?

One would think that engineers might give consideration as to where impact zones are on corners just as is done in racing.

One of the question that have been brought up on this press release.
zerograv
Banned

Post by zerograv »

I think it's disgusting to see the footage of this young mans death all over the news. I think a press release would have sufficed.
Before giving someone a piece of your mind, make sure that you have enough to spare.
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

The media knows that this tragedy means ratings...... and after all THAT is what it is all about........corporate greed................
mrj222
Übergod

Post by mrj222 »

zerograv wrote:I think it's disgusting to see the footage of this young mans death all over the news. I think a press release would have sufficed.

I think its disgusting how billions were spent on the olympics and the cheap *bleep* couldnt even spend a few grand on plexi glass, foam (or a good designer) to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

People should see this kind of thing because its pure and simple corporate greed that leads to decisions that completely neglect safety in favor of the bottom line. Maybe it's not vanocs fault but it sure as hell is the architect/builders fault.
We can't stop here, this is bat country!
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

What will people *bleep* about when the Olympics are over? Geez.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

mrj222 wrote:People should see this kind of thing because its pure and simple corporate greed that leads to decisions that completely neglect safety in favor of the bottom line. Maybe it's not vanocs fault but it sure as hell is the architect/builders fault.

As far as I'm concerned given the level of arrogance that I've witnessed first hand in that profession there should be an engineer(s) somewhere facing some charges pertaining to negligence.

Even an untrained average Joe wouldn't need a university degree to figure out that there are some impact zones to factor into the design which means for a professional engineer/designer this situation is despicable.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Nebula wrote:What will people *bleep* about when the Olympics are over? Geez.

People who *bleep* about people who *bleep* about the Olympics. :dyinglaughing:

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”