Bush League

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Bush League

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: By now you know we'll never come to an agreement. Different people see different things. Some people see a great event in the making, some people see a big waste of money. Some people see this thing falling apart while others get excited.

Please don't get me wrong Captain. I see the great event and even feel the excitement. I'm with ya there buddy and still want to know what hockey game you have tickets for (I don't normally watch hockey but I want to look for you in the crowd).

That being said, just because I can see what a great event this is does not mean I am blind to the distorted priorities and wasted allocation of scarce resources.

I have been repeatedly saying that at this point I hope these "games" go on as successfully as possible. I would think, however, that anyone with their eyes open would agree we are not off to a stellar start.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: PS: It's one of the play-off qualifications games.

That has got to be good. For a hockey fan, that's gotta be right up there with Superbowl tickets.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

steven lloyd wrote:I would think, however, that anyone with their eyes open would agree we are not off to a stellar start.

Would be naive to think a major event will go without a glitch. And even if it does, people will find something (as we've seen it posted in this thread).
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: Would be naive to think a major event will go without a glitch. And even if it does, people will find something (as we've seen it posted in this thread).

This is true Captain. Just because year after year the Superbowl goes off without a hitch (but that's football) or the entire PGA schedule goes off with a hitch (but that's golf), I hear exactly what you're saying.

p.s. Snowboarding competitions through the slush because of freak weather, and cancelled luge runs because of competitors dying is not a "glitch".

I would really like to see ourselves being embarrassed as minimally as possible. I really don’t believe we needed to spend ten billion dollars to remind the world where Vancouver, BC was (especially since everyone in the province will be paying to remind the world where Vancouver, BC is – thanks, that was a bunch of money I had nothing better to do with anyway. What’s amazingly ironic is there are still people who think this whole event is going t kickstart something. I was just guessing before, but as a collective are we really truly that uneducated ?
Gigamortis
Fledgling

Post by Gigamortis »

They did what they could, things go wrong I'll admit it was a little embarrassing when the fourth pillar didn't rise but these things happen. Wayne being driven to the torch was a result of the protesters. The first couple of hours were incredible something to truly be proud of. It felt a lot more free spirited than the Beijing opening ceremonies.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" -Edgar Allen Poe
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

While it's too bad the opening ceremonies were marred slightly by a mechanical glitch (such is always a risk when presenting something live), plus a sombre tone produced by the luge accident and resulting death...

...I was left with a feeling that, while it wasn't perfect, the whole show was surprisingly (but pleasantly) modest, with a lot of subliminal messages which may have been missed by many who were not sensitive to them, thus inclined to judge on face value alone.

...sort of like the real Canada and real Canadians...

Other than that - too much red for my taste, and I think having an indoor flame lighting (and the gizmos to support it) was a waste of resources since the roof could not survive it being left lit for the duration of the games '-)

Just a further comment on the luge accident that cast a sombre tone on the opening ceremonies from the start. I always thought most sports had rigid standards for equipment and the "field" upon which they are played. If I understand reports correctly, this luge is a major departure from previous standards, and I am left wondering why. Not only is it apparently very dangerous in its design and speed, but it seems to me that any times/records that might result from competition on it would have very little relevance when related to previous such events. Where were the designers heads, indeed IOC standards, in this case?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

NAB wrote:While it's too bad the opening ceremonies were marred slightly by a mechanical glitch (such is always a risk when presenting something live), plus a sombre tone produced by the luge accident and resulting death...

...I was left with a feeling that, while it wasn't perfect, the whole show was surprisingly (but pleasantly) modest, with a lot of subliminal messages which may have been missed by many who were not sensitive to them, thus inclined to judge on face value alone.

...sort of like the real Canada and real Canadians...

Other than that - too much red for my taste, and I think having an indoor flame lighting (and the gizmos to support it) was a waste of resources since the roof could not survive it being left lit for the duration of the games '-)

Just a further comment on the luge accident that cast a sombre tone on the opening ceremonies from the start. I always thought most sports had rigid standards for equipment and the "field" upon which they are played. If I understand reports correctly, this luge is a major departure from previous standards, and I am left wondering why. Not only is it apparently very dangerous in its design and speed, but it seems to me that any times/records that might result from competition on it would have very little relevance when related to previous such events. Where were the designers heads, indeed IOC standards, in this case?

Nab

bahahahaha....snort...yea whatever. I felt like I was watching a Corporate feel good commercial the whole time. With few exceptions (ie. Kd lang who kicked a$$) the whole thing felt phony.
Find something to give a damn about!
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

NAB wrote: Not only is it apparently very dangerous in its design and speed, but it seems to me that any times/records that might result from competition on it would have very little relevance when related to previous such events. Where were the designers heads, indeed IOC standards, in this case?

A good point.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

steven lloyd wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote: PS: It's one of the play-off qualifications games.

That has got to be good. For a hockey fan, that's gotta be right up there with Superbowl tickets.

Yawn, you can just go on ebay.ca and buy a ticket yourself in you want to.....if you have the money to throw away on it that is.

Some people were asking upwards of 3grand for tickets for the opening ceremonies. Few takers but some people got suckered into paying.
Find something to give a damn about!

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”