Final Torch Bearer

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Final Torch Bearer

Post by prairieflower »

Well my fellow Canadians.....what a heck of a show!!! Made me and my other half so happy to be Canadian tonite. They pulled off a show to beat all shows! That is until the final torch bearer!....

Why oh why Gretzky????? :censored: Yes i know some nay sayers will say, he is mr hockey....pfffft......

I have met the man...... he's a pompous jerk. Tonight, watching him deliver the torch to the final outdoor cauldron, not one smile, no hand out to say, hey this is cool!!! Nope, not Gretzky!!! Hell his father had 15,000,000 more times happiness today then he did.

It was nice to see Betty Fox bring in the Olympic flag with the other famous Canadians, but sheesh, Rick Hansen, who i think is a wonderful man btw, already carried his torch, same with Steve Nash, hmmmmm why not bring in someone like Michael J. Fox.....or someone like Stevie Y.... but ugh Gretzky......so finished off my awesome night on such a sour note....

BTW........Just my 2 cents worth. :anonymous:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Final Torch Bearer

Post by Fancy »

Good grief - did you even think this man may have been a little worried as to how the final torch "run" would go?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

prairieflower wrote:Well my fellow Canadians.....what a heck of a show!!! Made me and my other half so happy to be Canadian tonite. They pulled off a show to beat all shows! That is until the final torch bearer!....

Why oh why Gretzky????? :censored: Yes i know some nay sayers will say, he is mr hockey....pfffft......

I have met the man...... he's a pompous jerk. Tonight, watching him deliver the torch to the final outdoor cauldron, not one smile, no hand out to say, hey this is cool!!! Nope, not Gretzky!!! Hell his father had 15,000,000 more times happiness today then he did.

It was nice to see Betty Fox bring in the Olympic flag with the other famous Canadians, but sheesh, Rick Hansen, who i think is a wonderful man btw, already carried his torch, same with Steve Nash, hmmmmm why not bring in someone like Michael J. Fox.....or someone like Stevie Y.... but ugh Gretzky......so finished off my awesome night on such a sour note....

Your 2¢ is :offtheair:
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

What is with the fortress of solitude looking flame cauldron thingy. I mean *bleep*? Had to laugh that the hydraulics got stuck. It was all too tacky for me anyways. About the only thing I liked about the whole thing was Kdlang who did an amazing performance.

Stupid CTV. Was watching the live HD feed from their website and they shut it down at 9pm on the nose. Unfortunately because the fortress of solitude crystals flame caudron thingy got stuck it went into overtime and they killed the stream before I saw what happened with the stuck crystals growing out of the floor like in the superman movie. Tacky to be sure but the whole point of the opening ceremonies is the lighting of the flame thingy and they cut out before it finished.

Then with wayno driving in an SUV to light the other fortress of solitude...it was all kinda stupid. Yea I watched because I'm one of the ones who has to pay for this 6billion (and counting) fiasco so might as well watch it.
Find something to give a damn about!
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by shoo »

I don't mind that Gretzky carried the torch,but I was hopeful it would be my fave from the 80's....
Alex P. Keaton :cursor:
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Thought Gretzky was an excellent choice.
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Bestside
Guru

Post by Bestside »

RR24K wrote:
prairieflower wrote:Well my fellow Canadians.....what a heck of a show!!! Made me and my other half so happy to be Canadian tonite. They pulled off a show to beat all shows! That is until the final torch bearer!....

Your 2¢ is :offtheair:

The only thing right about your post is your personal worth being 2 cents...
I can see why Gretzky blew you off...
"Conservatives have whipped themselves into spasms of outrage and despair that block all strategic thinking" - David Frum
Gigamortis
Fledgling

Post by Gigamortis »

Gretzky is by far the most obvious choice, easily the most recognizable Canadian athlete. I was really happy with the choices for carrying the Olympic flag general Romeo Dallaire is a true Canadian hero, brought a tear to my eye.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity" -Edgar Allen Poe
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Hellomynameis wrote:Thought Gretzky was an excellent choice.

I wanted ANYONE but Wayne. Really a tap dancing monkey would have been better.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Only the most jaded would fail to be proud of the opening ceremonies and the choices that were made. It was nice to hear some of the commentary on NBC as they gave the show high marks.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

normaM wrote:
Hellomynameis wrote:Thought Gretzky was an excellent choice.

I wanted ANYONE but Wayne. Really a tap dancing monkey would have been better.

Sorry that event is in the summer games only;)
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

Urbane wrote:Only the most jaded would fail to be proud of the opening ceremonies and the choices that were made. It was nice to hear some of the commentary on NBC as they gave the show high marks.

+1
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

I was watching the show in a bar and all the talk was about who the final torch bearer would be. I suggested they might lob a flaming beaver over the cauldron, or a flaming baby seal. I was told the seal might be a bit much.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Hellomynameis wrote:
Urbane wrote:Only the most jaded would fail to be proud of the opening ceremonies and the choices that were made. It was nice to hear some of the commentary on NBC as they gave the show high marks.

+1

Bahahahah....snort. What do you expect them to say? "Well we are probably going to lose over 250million on this fiasco so may as well put some lipstick on this pig and try salvage as much of our dignity as we can and cut costs as much as we can.....go usa...rah!"
Find something to give a damn about!
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

Nebula wrote:I was watching the show in a bar and all the talk was about who the final torch bearer would be. I suggested they might lob a flaming beaver over the cauldron, or a flaming baby seal. I was told the seal might be a bit much.

:ohmygod: :dyinglaughing: :coffeecanuck: that is funny!!

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”