Where can WE Canadians view our own Olympics online?

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
kbens

Where can WE Canadians view our own Olympics online?

Post by kbens »

I went looking this morning to find streaming video of the opening ceremony... I could find it at NBC in the US, but it was blocked to "international viewers". NBC has a beautiful, easy to use website that catalogs and makes available all of the video of events up to "now", which we can't watch because we're in Canada...

Our own "official" Olympic website at CTV is difficult to navigate so maybe I just couldn't find what I was looking for, but it seems to only have 5 tiny little snippets of the opening ceremony available to view!!! WHATS UP! Why can we not watch video of our own Olympics, when the video is obviously available in the States???

I'm not surprised anymore when I find US content blocked so we can't view it, but for crying out loud its OUR Olympics!!! Can't we at least have the same content available for our own viewing!!!??? :ohmygod:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Where can WE Canadians view our own Olympics online?

Post by Queen K »

It's not "our" Olympics, we are merely paying for it. NBC and Vanoc prolly cut a deal.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Queen K wrote:It's not "our" Olympics, we are merely paying for it. NBC and Vanoc prolly cut a deal.

They didn't "cut a deal" - good grief. Trying viewing any content on the NBC website - Olympics or not - they don't allow viewers outside the US. I don't know why exactly but it is a massive pain. Hulu is another site that is only viewable in the US - who knows why. If you are a tech geek like me, you just proxy around it and log in via a US server. Otherwise, you just have to hope and pray that CTV gets their crap together. Try emailing and calling them if you aren't getting what you want on their website. There should be billions of websites posting coverage and I'm sure Youtube will be littered with Olympics stuff too. Try using Google - you'd be surprised how much you find out there that is viewable in Canada.
blackprince

Post by blackprince »

at ctvolympics.ca if you click on one of the network links under the Bell Viewers Guide and you will get live streaming video but it looks like an event has to be happening. Also I saw a link the Red-White scrimmage live. Enjoy.
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

Liberty and Truth wrote:Olympics or not - they don't allow viewers outside the US. I don't know why exactly but it is a massive pain..

Distribution rights issues. Canadian/US rights are separate.
jaz301
Walks on Forum Water

Post by jaz301 »

You can watch the Olympics at http://www.ctvolympics.ca/ on the side you can choose which channel you want to view for an event. They have good HD picture, though it might be laggy if you do not have a good computer.
Life is too sho......
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

jaz301 wrote:You can watch the Olympics at http://www.ctvolympics.ca/ on the side you can choose which channel you want to view for an event. They have good HD picture, though it might be laggy if you do not have a good computer.

Yea, watched the open ceremonies live HD stream. Good stream on Shaw. Pretty impressive HD stream actually. Your puter can't be too old or else it won't have enough ompfff!

Hint, use IE or Firefox with IE tab option enabled. Firefox and probably the other browsers use a lot more CPU power. Microsoft didn't publish the hardware hooks to make video work as well as they can do internally on their own software.
Find something to give a damn about!
kbens

Post by kbens »

Yeah I can see that you can watch things "live" streaming online... but I'd really like to be able to see the parts of the opening ceremony that I missed, as well as showing the good bits to a friend who didn't watch... but the Canadian site doesn't appear allow you to watch the stuff that ran before, while the American site does except that we're geo-blocked :smt022
mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

uhhh, there is already a thread "Full Replay of the Opening Ceremonies ". It is the 8th one down on here.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=23777

Complete with the link to the full opening ceremonies...

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/video/index.h ... 9ea6ea3101
kbens

Post by kbens »

:luffyou:

Yays! Thank you!!!
mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

Hope that works for you, kbens. Just take note of the times during the vid that you want to show your friend and he/she can skip to the good parts.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”