"More French in the ceremonies"

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
tacosalad

"More French in the ceremonies"

Post by tacosalad »

Complaining about not enough french in the opening ceremonies...are you kidding me. As far as I am concerned they did not need any native crap or french. Can anyone tell me how much money the natives have contributed to the olypmics? All they do is demand more and more but never give. Quebec wants to seperate from canada...but oh wait the olympics are here so yup now is a good time to be part of us and shove french down everyone's throat. Just seperate and go away. I hope because of the whining the committee takes away all the french crap from the closing ceremonies. Out of all the athletes, families, etc, how many speak or even care about french language. THIS is BC, not quebec. Quebec can't even put english signs up, but demand it in BC... :127:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: "more french in the ceremonies"

Post by Bsuds »

tacosalad wrote: THIS is BC, not quebec. Quebec can't even put english signs up, but demand it in BC... :127:

:rate10:

I agree, when English is given equality in Quebec then they can complain. Until then go away!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: "More French in the ceremonies"

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Don't ya just love how the Olympics promote mutual understanding, tolerance and inclusion. :127:
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

steven lloyd wrote:Don't ya just love how the Olympics promote mutual understanding, tolerance and inclusion. :127:

I lost my tolerance for French speaking Canada when I visited Montreal and was treated like cr*p!
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
logicalview
Guru

Post by logicalview »

Oh Tablenackle!

Dem dare pesky francophone!

Promote demselves and der culture. How dare dey.

Everone cept anglo english canadien have culture.

Too bad fer dem.
Not afraid to say "It".
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bsuds wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:Don't ya just love how the Olympics promote mutual understanding, tolerance and inclusion. :127:

I lost my tolerance for French speaking Canada when I visited Montreal and was treated like cr*p!

I've been through that too.

Can't help but feel that some folk really need to look up the term "equality".
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

LoneWolf_53 wrote: Can't help but feel that some folk really need to look up the term "equality".

Well, we could but you know that term isn't necessarily synonymous with mutual understanding, tolerance and inclusion right ? (if that was a point you were trying to make)
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

steven lloyd wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote: Can't help but feel that some folk really need to look up the term "equality".

Well, we could but you know that term isn't necessarily synonymous with mutual understanding, tolerance and inclusion right ? (if that was a point you were trying to make)

I was sort of thinking about politicians and some of the stupidity citizens get subjected to in the name of a label that isn't even applied properly.

I've always had a major issue with Quebecers using a hard core stance toward English signage yet the rest of us all across the land are forced to put up with French on packaging etc.

If Canada is supposedly bilingual then a good start would be to enforce the same rules across the nation or scrap the whole stupid concept in the first place.

English is viewed as the universal language and if French people can't grasp that reality then tough.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

language issues aside, I do agree that the opening ceremonies could have been more inclusive of French Canadian culture and history.

Nab
Last edited by NAB on Feb 14th, 2010, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
nolanrh
Übergod

Post by nolanrh »

tacosalad wrote: THIS is BC, not quebec. Quebec can't even put english signs up, but demand it in BC... :127:

This is Canada.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

NAB wrote:language issues aside, I do agree that the opening ceremonies could have been more inclusive of French Candian culture and history.

Nab

:ohmygod:

What? Should it include Wolfe and Montcalm? Maybe that would be a good place to start.
Chill
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

flamingfingers wrote:
NAB wrote:language issues aside, I do agree that the opening ceremonies could have been more inclusive of French Candian culture and history.

Nab

:ohmygod:

What? Should it include Wolfe and Montcalm? Maybe that would be a good place to start.

LOL flaming... Ya can only cramb so much into a couple of hours :dyinglaughing:

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

LoneWolf_53 wrote: I've always had a major issue with Quebecers using a hard core stance toward English signage yet the rest of us all across the land are forced to put up with French on packaging etc. If Canada is supposedly bilingual then a good start would be to enforce the same rules across the nation or scrap the whole stupid concept in the first place.

NAB wrote:language issues aside, I do agree that the opening ceremonies could have been more inclusive of French Canadian culture and history. Nab

nolanrh wrote: This is Canada.

Agreed
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

NAB wrote:language issues aside, I do agree that the opening ceremonies could have been more inclusive of French Canadian culture and history.

Nab

I honestly have no recollection of it as I didn't watch but nonetheless can't help but wonder if all the other cultures were taken into consideration when the Olympics were held in Montreal?

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”