Protest this

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: Protest this

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:Image

And here's just the guy for the job ...

Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

steven lloyd wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Image

And here's just the guy for the job ...

Good old "Truth and Liberty" to the rescue! :coffeecanuck:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

3 charged after violent anti-Olympics protest
Last Updated: Sunday, February 14, 2010 | 5:00 PM PT Comments1Recommend9CBC News
A protester kicks at police as they arrest a demonstrator Saturday morning in Vancouver. (CBC)Three people have been charged following a violent anti-Olympics demonstration in downtown Vancouver on Saturday.

Police say about 100 protesters, many dressed in black balaclavas and masks, broke away from a larger group and started smashing shop windows and vandalizing cars along West Georgia Street.

At a news conference in Vancouver on Sunday, the Vancouver Police Department described the group as a "criminal element" among the legitimate protesters.

Many activists who have been working for years on things like affordable housing in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside expressed dismay at the actions of those over the weekend.

"I was really disappointed. We've done a lot of work around protecting free speech," said David Eby with the B.C. Civil Liberties Association.

"If the feedback I've been getting from activists is any indication, they've not only turned off the public, but a large segment of the activist community with their tactics."

Protesters smash windows as they march through downtown Vancouver on Saturday morning. (CBC)Charlotte Christine Hannah, 23, of Vancouver and Willow Violet Louise Riley, 18, have been charged with assaulting a peace officer.

Daniel Frederick Myers, 22, of Washington state has been charged with possession of a dangerous weapon and possession of a prohibited weapon.

Police say he is being detained for immigration reasons.

"We're prepared for any eventualities," said VPD Const. Jana McGuinness. "We don't know for sure if these protesters will resurface."

McGuinness said these are initial charges and more people could be arrested and charged as police investigate Saturday's protest.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columb ... z0fZDRBo4U
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Interesting to see what these young people do for a living or contribute to society instead of ripping it apart? Like to see where Willow is from?

CBC)Charlotte Christine Hannah, 23, of Vancouver and Willow Violet Louise Riley, 18, have been charged with assaulting a peace officer.

Daniel Frederick Myers, 22, of Washington state has been charged with possession of a dangerous weapon and possession of a prohibited weapon
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

By the way,

We're all the thousands of people going to jail for protesting? Where are thousand dollar fines for displaying anti-Olympic sings? Where are the SWAT teams kicking in doors to remove anti-IOC signs? Where are the trampled rights to free speech and freedom of expression?

There was such a hysteria caused by simple bylaws, people were freaking out all over the place. What was that all about? I guess once again thousands of people jumped to conclusion and cried before wolf even showed up (in this cased didn't show up at all).

So much for comparing BC to Third Reich, Vanoc to Nazis, Gordon to Hilter, propaganda insinuations, and so on.

Told ya so. Don't give into the media hype, kids.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Feb 14th, 2010, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

averagejoe wrote:Interesting to see what these young people do for a living or contribute to society instead of ripping it apart? Like to see where Willow is from?

CBC)Charlotte Christine Hannah, 23, of Vancouver and Willow Violet Louise Riley, 18, have been charged with assaulting a peace officer.

Daniel Frederick Myers, 22, of Washington state has been charged with possession of a dangerous weapon and possession of a prohibited weapon

Ya, seems Willow at this point is of "no fixed address". I doubt any of them contribute to Canadian society in any way. Fer sure the armed jackass from Washington State doesn't. He needs to be sent back across the border with a few good Canadian placed bruises on him, and put on the "do not come back" list.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

What happened to that Pizza place on Denman St. Wasn't it called Olympic Pizza or something like that. I thought they had to change there name?

Captain Awesome wrote:By the way,

We're all the thousands of people going to jail for protesting? Where are thousand dollar fines for displaying anti-Olympic sings? Where are the SWAT teams kicking in doors to remove anti-IOC signs? Where are the trampled rights to free speech and freedom of expression?

There was such a hysteria caused by simple bylaws, people were freaking out all over the place. What was that all about? I guess once again thousands of people jumped to conclusion and cried before wolf even showed up (in this cased didn't show up at all).

So much for comparing BC to Third Reich, Vanoc to Nazis, Gordon to Hilter, propaganda insinuations, and so on.

Told ya so. Don't give into the media hype, kids.
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

averagejoe wrote:What happened to that Pizza place on Denman St. Wasn't it called Olympic Pizza or something like that. I thought they had to change there name?

Still there. No, they didn't go to Olympic jail.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Captain Awesome wrote:
averagejoe wrote:What happened to that Pizza place on Denman St. Wasn't it called Olympic Pizza or something like that. I thought they had to change there name?

Still there. No, they didn't go to Olympic jail.

Yes it is http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&source=s ... 00.19,,0,5
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Fritzthecat wrote:
steven lloyd wrote: And here's just the guy for the job ...

Good old "Truth and Liberty" to the rescue! :coffeecanuck:

For the record, I'm not trying to associate this picture with ben. I only laugh at and repeat posting the picture because I find the image and idea quite hilarious.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: By the way, where are all the thousands of people going to jail for protesting? Where are thousand dollar fines for displaying anti-Olympic sings? Where are the SWAT teams kicking in doors to remove anti-IOC signs? Where are the trampled rights to free speech and freedom of expression?

I think both politicians and police realized the eyes of the world would be upon them and that issues of behaviour and response were seriously addressed in pre-briefings on what was expected from Officer behavior. Given the assinine behaviour of some protestors to date, police have responded with a manner of professionalism and restraint that should make us all proud.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

steven lloyd wrote:I think both politicians and police realized the eyes of the world would be upon them and that issues of behaviour and response were seriously addressed in pre-briefings on what was expected from Officer behavior.

Nice backpedaling, Steven.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:I think both politicians and police realized the eyes of the world would be upon them and that issues of behaviour and response were seriously addressed in pre-briefings on what was expected from Officer behavior.

Nice backpedaling, Steven.

:137: Not sure what you're suggesting.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

steven lloyd wrote: :137: Not sure what you're suggesting.

You're the one that suggested that our gov't (Herr Gordo, as some call him) wouldn't even hesitate to use such law against people expressing their anger about Olympics. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, there are hundreds of people walking around expressing their anger. There are thousands signs around the city. I don't see anybody going to IOC jail, I don't see fines being handed out, I don't see people's rights being trampled. And now you tell me that it's only because the gov't decided to change tactics because they realized everybody watching. That's a definition of backpedaling, my friend.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: And now you tell me that it's only because the gov't decided to change tactics because they realized everybody watching. That's a definition of backpedaling, my friend.

Hmmm. Well I don't mind acknowledging I am able to shift my opinion given new information, and if it has always been the government's intention to direct the police to behave in the way they are so far then I would have to admit to some backpedling. I don't have a problem with that. To be honest though Captain, I give that credit more to the police than I do VANOC or our government. Still, I am prepared to admit I am not always right about everything (maybe not even most of the time).

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”