Opening Ceremony is a waste of time

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Re: Opening Ceremony is a waste of time

Post by ferri »

yeah! we were watching it on line too and were kind of upset that we got cut off right then! lol will have to go see if i can find the tail end somewhere.
i thought the flying wheat boy was too long because it didn't make much sense to me. LOL
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

ferri wrote:yeah! we were watching it on line too and were kind of upset that we got cut off right then! lol will have to go see if i can find the tail end somewhere.
i thought the flying wheat boy was too long because it didn't make much sense to me. LOL

All in all in hindsight, 50% cringe worthy, 40 percent just ok, 10 percent very good.
Find something to give a damn about!
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

lol!!! i actually had a lot of fun checking out all the different countries official Olympic wear! some of it was pretty wonderful.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Finnish outfits were psychedelic.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Captain Awesome wrote:Finnish outfits were psychedelic.

I thought the Italian outfits were frumpy. White pants and black frumpy coats?

Who had the cool black and orange outfits? It's all starting to blur.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
damngrumpy
Übergod

Post by damngrumpy »

Having Arnie touch the torch is just great. Here is a guy who used Steroids to get as big as he did
and they let him get close to the Olympics. Cypress Bowl is a mess, the games are way over the
budgets laid down, and the protesters are gaining some ground. If they games were in fact about
the athletes, it would be different, but at present the games are about greed, and publicity for the
politicians. I hope things go well for team Canada but I am not holding my breath. I didn't see the
opening ceremonies because that stuff always bores me.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

damngrumpy wrote:Having Arnie touch the torch is just great. Here is a guy who used Steroids to get as big as he did
and they let him get close to the Olympics. Cypress Bowl is a mess, the games are way over the
budgets laid down, and the protesters are gaining some ground. If they games were in fact about
the athletes, it would be different, but at present the games are about greed, and publicity for the
politicians. I hope things go well for team Canada but I am not holding my breath. I didn't see the
opening ceremonies because that stuff always bores me.

You forgot to say the god is against the games! Jesus himself was among the protesters, I saw him.

I might have been drunk.
weavesilk

Post by weavesilk »

homeownertoo wrote: "The gold-medal performance of the evening came from KD Lang, who stepped out of the show's 'shock and awe' format to put artistry before spectacle in her soulful and flawless rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah. A gutsy decision on her part and a wonderful tribute to the athletic performances to come."

I completely agree: KD Lang was the hi-lite for me; she touches the soul. Unbelievable performance! 'Hallelujah' !! A gut-wrenching performance. I would add: a wonderful tribute to the fallen luger as well!
Mutha
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mutha »

Sounds like the international press is giving the opening ceremonies, and the games in general thus far a big thumbs down.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

MisterPeePee wrote:Sounds like the international press is giving the opening ceremonies, and the games in general thus far a big thumbs down.

Some links would be good ............
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

grammafreddy wrote:
MisterPeePee wrote:Sounds like the international press is giving the opening ceremonies, and the games in general thus far a big thumbs down.

New York times http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/sport ... ies&st=cse
Swoop
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Swoop »

RR24K wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:

New York times http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/sport ... ies&st=cse

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2010/02/15 ... icism.html
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

This story is hilarious!

...though a doping committee may want to look into what the aboriginal people were taking that enabled them to dance without stopping for three hours straight.

You could add that it’s a country unafraid to put a poet up there on the stage.

Why is it that a country sending one athlete to the Games also sends a handful of out-of-shape middle-age guys to march with him?

...and what was with those German uniforms that bore “Team” on the front? They needed to be reminded?

For Americans, the parade of athletes is a great geography lesson, a brush-up on countries that sprung up after the fall of communism.

And don’t forget Mexico, which sent a 51-year-old downhill skier to the Games. He should get a medal just for showing up.
acidrain
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by acidrain »

grammafreddy wrote:

Global News National had a big report at 6pm on "Vancouver Image Takes Beating in International Media":

http://news.globaltv.com/beyondthepodium/Vancouver+image+takes+beating+international+media/2567582/story.html
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

And I thought, "every four years Americans get a great geography lesson. Period."
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”