Opening Ceremony is a waste of time

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Re: Opening Ceremony is a waste of time

Post by Captain Awesome »

Queen K wrote:And I thought, "every four years Americans get a great geography lesson. Period."

Well. Technically, every two years.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Captain Awesome wrote:
Queen K wrote:And I thought, "every four years Americans get a great geography lesson. Period."

It's not working.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

RR24K wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:

It's not working.

No it's not. But I forgot about the Summer Olympics too, so maybe I need to go back to school too.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

I had to look up Montenegro.
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Queen K wrote:
RR24K wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:

It's not working.

No it's not. But I forgot about the Summer Olympics too, so maybe I need to go back to school too.

But it does give comedians endless supply of material. :dyinglaughing: Not your need to go back school.
Blossom2
Fledgling

Post by Blossom2 »

I for one like many others really weren't in favour of the Olympic's that were going to be held in Vancover for reasons stated by many but I have to admit that I started watching the opening Ceremony and was in awe of the event and felt so very proud of being a Canadian. Personally I appreciate all the years in planning and the hard work that went into this event and felt it was fantastic. After that I was hooked for two solid days watching all the sports events and will be watching more every chance I get. I have enjoyed learning about the atletic and all that they have gone through to bring them to this point. Devastated over the death and felt that maybe it could of be avoided but of course do not know much on this topic but so sad that it happened . I am happy for all the winners no matter what country they are from as it was well deserved. Great Job!
coffeeFreak
Guru

Post by coffeeFreak »

Heard Sarah MacLauclan's (don't know how to spell it) song again yesterday and could not, for the life of me, understand its relevance to the games? (Please don't get me wrong I enjoy her singing so this isn't meant as anything against Sarah)

Another funny thing I heard in the coffee shop yesterday while I was waiting for my java: there were two fellows in their 60s at a table and one has a hearing problem, so speaks louder than necessary. They were discussing the opening ceremony (his son was in the dance troupe)...I heard him proclaim over the sound of the coffee machine "I think the ceremonies were very phallic don't you?...there were several erections..."
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

coffeeFreak wrote:Heard Sarah MacLauclan's (don't know how to spell it) song again yesterday and could not, for the life of me, understand its relevance to the games? (Please don't get me wrong I enjoy her singing so this isn't meant as anything against Sarah)

Another funny thing I heard in the coffee shop yesterday while I was waiting for my java: there were two fellows in their 60s at a table and one has a hearing problem, so speaks louder than necessary. They were discussing the opening ceremony (his son was in the dance troupe)...I heard him proclaim over the sound of the coffee machine "I think the ceremonies were very phallic don't you?...there were several erections..."

Speaking of theme songs. That CTV theme song/music 'I believe' or whatever is REALLY starting to get on my nerves. Worst Olympic theme song ever! NBC is using the same theme music they have for years which is much better. I am mostly watching NBC just because that CTV theme is so annoying!
Find something to give a damn about!
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

Cateyes wrote:Speaking of theme songs. That CTV theme song/music 'I believe' or whatever is REALLY starting to get on my nerves. Worst Olympic theme song ever! NBC is using the same theme music they have for years which is much better. I am mostly watching NBC just because that CTV theme is so annoying!

You mean this song ?

By JAIME ARON
The Associated Press
Thursday, February 11, 2010; 6:45 PM

VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- Even before the flame is lit, the Winter Olympics has its first teenage sensation: singer Nikki Yanofsky.

Yanofsky is the voice behind "I Believe," the theme song of the Vancouver Olympics for national broadcaster CTV. The song was released two weeks ago, then took off following the debut of a video during the broadcast of the Super Bowl on Sunday. It aired again Tuesday night during CTV's broadcast of "American Idol" and by Thursday it was No. 1 on Canadian iTunes.

Not a bad week, eh? Well, it gets better still: She also turned 16 on Monday.

Back with a vengeance
RR24K
Lord of the Board

Post by RR24K »

Cateyes wrote:[
Speaking of theme songs. That CTV theme song/music 'I believe' or whatever is REALLY starting to get on my nerves. Worst Olympic theme song ever! NBC is using the same theme music they have for years which is much better. I am mostly watching NBC just because that CTV theme is so annoying!

:popcorn: :sillygrin:
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Cateyes wrote:Speaking of theme songs. That CTV theme song/music 'I believe' or whatever is REALLY starting to get on my nerves. Worst Olympic theme song ever! NBC is using the same theme music they have for years which is much better. I am mostly watching NBC just because that CTV theme is so annoying!

:coffeecanuck:

Clearly you have no grasp of what "annoying" is. :127:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:

:coffeecanuck:

Clearly you have no grasp of what "annoying" is. :127:

Clearly! Do tell? :popcorn:
Find something to give a damn about!
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Politically incorrect time

Aka speaking honestly

The reason the natives were so heavily represented at the games is because if they didn't get their payoff/kickback, they would have protested the games too. After all, it is on "their" land.

I call BULL$#!%

They call themselves "First Nations"

Well, us Whiteys are "First Conquerers" It's our country now.

That freak with a fiddle was an embarrassment.

Lets celebrate our muticulturalism with a croossdressing lesbian. She was the best part of the show.

When are we going to announce our switch to Sharia Law? That'll put a quick end to land claims.

I've never seen a white totem pole before. Did the person that designed them for the opening ceremonies even see a picture of one?

The gold medals. Are they solid gold? Pricey! Add in the cost of designing and minting them, and you could run a small school for a month for the cost of a medal.

I'm not worried about paying for the olympics, that's my kids and grandkids problem, not mine.

Support your local protester

Thanks for listening. Carry on.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Way to ruin the thread with ignorance.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Truth hurts, doesn't it? Is that why you can't even be honest with yourself?

I was serious about kd lang. She shows multiculturalism without inflicting her values on the rest of Canada like Quebec does with it's language laws.

She shows multiculturalism without costing me an arm and a leg like native land claims.

There may be a touch of jealosy at work here too. She's a better looking guy than I am, and she owns nicer suits, too!

Take the time to be really honest instead of towing the official line. You are old enough to formulate your own opinions. Don't let the government dictate your viewpoint. Hell, they can barely govern.

Support your local olympic protester
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”