"More French in the ceremonies"

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
rookie314
Übergod

Re: "More French in the ceremonies"

Post by rookie314 »

When Canadian Airlines went under and was assimilated into Air Canada, 17000 people lost their jobs. Canadians head office was in Vancouver. Want to guess where perenial money loser Air Canada's head office is? Give up? Montreal.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Post by motorhomebabe »

Hubby and I did the cross Canada trip this summer, We were totalaly lost in Quebec Going and comming back. We all know the road construction signals , but when you come to the signs with flashing lights only in French ,its scary. The provinces on either side have French and English ,But Quebec doesnt.

Comming back ,we stopped in Rivera De Loupe , for an oil change, were there for 4 days.Never felt so alienated in my whole life.People in the RV park would look at our liscence plates and walk on by,Hubby went into Walmart and asked for help with an item he wanted to buy, no one spoke English.We were even given the wrong directions from a clerk in a store. Sent us on a wild goose chase ,when the store we wanted was across the highway.

Not enough French? I dont think so
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

One thing I like about Quebec is their car insurance system. Nobody pays over $100/month unless you drive a Lambo, pretty much.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

Captain Awesome wrote:One thing I like about Quebec is their car insurance system. Nobody pays over $100/month unless you drive a Lambo, pretty much.

Who do you think subsidizes that?
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

animal lover1 wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:One thing I like about Quebec is their car insurance system. Nobody pays over $100/month unless you drive a Lambo, pretty much.

Who do you think subsidizes that?

I believe in Quebec the damages awarded as a result of an accident are limited. Hence lower car insurance. Say here in BC if you get into an accident, depending on your lawyer you can get millions and millions in damages. Not in Quebec. Because of that, car insurance is cheaper.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
sooperphreek
Lord of the Board

Post by sooperphreek »

its a fair point that there are happy, nice french canadians back east. but unfortunately francophone politics and scare tactics speak louder than the friendly people. its ironic that if you tried to emigrate to quebec as an anglophone youd probably have a harder time than if say....you were a francophone from haiti or some of the african nations or even cambodia. why? because there is an underlying desire to become a separate nation from canada. and if you have people that speak french then they will vote along party lines just for the convenience. they are padding the vote for next time and english emigrants dont fit that bill. could you imagine how nasty things would have been for your french "friends" if they came over here out west and quebec separated and won the vote? the reason the vote was so close was that alot of those friendly francophones voted "yes" in that vote to separate. the tension would not necessarilly be in an overt way but the undercurrents would be there for sure. there is alot of resentment towards quebec and it is for good reason. its not necessarilly because of the language.....its the preferential treatment. people who want to separate and a political party whos only objective to achieve that are traitors to this country as a whole. a political system which lets a western based company be swallowed up by an eastern one shows preferntial treatment. a government which throws money at quebec and its companies (bombardier and air canada airlines for 2) and provincial government and yet lets the western (forests) and maritime (fishing) industries die and the people wallow on Employment Insurance is showing preferntial treatment. a government who not only gave a contract to make money to make the torches for the torch relay and get preferential treatment in commercial slots during those olympics shows preferential treatment. unfortunately for most of those "friendly" francophone people they are directly benefiting from the preferential treatment that their province and companies get. so of course they are happy and friendly.
my father was a proud anglophone montreal'er for 30 years of his life. who loved the "friendly" francophones. and he was very disturbed and saddened by the FLQ uprisings in the 60's and the political undercurrents in the 70's. but the breaking point was a bill which dictated that after a certain year every child in quebec had to go to a roman catholic francophone school instead of an english protestant one. and another which said that every single sign in quebec on businesses had to be french....period. some melting pot they have over there in quebec. he left and chose the most english province he could see on the map. "british" columbia. and if the vote went through he often mused if he was going to be an english refugee in asylum in his own country. the fact is i dont "hate" some friendly french people. its that there are so many abrasive french who have a sense of entitlement and it seeps into their politics. quebec may have got canadian airlines but after their vote there were many large companies based in quebec that relocated out west in calgary due to the political climate.
anyways i think that this a good thread and that what is being said needs to be. its all apart of being a "canadian".
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I certainly must say I find this thread very enlightening and some of the stories shared very alarming examples of hypocrisy and arrogance on the part of Quebec.

Thanks for sharing sooperphreek.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
TheGnome
Fledgling

Post by TheGnome »

Is it just me or is the Bloc party the reason we don't have a majority government?

Flyerfan you can lick my short little Gnome *bleep* hole. We have a group together to move your stuff out of BC and a Greyhound ticket to get you out ASAP!

Is there any other group in Canada hat is so anti Canadian? They don't even make an effort! Shame. They shouldn't be allowed to use the canadian flag.
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

You got to read this and the everybody statement.. According to our unofficial poll it was like 6%, a far cry from everybody.

http://www.kelowna.com/2010/02/18/langu ... -ceremony/

Following the ceremony, Charest told reporters that while he thought the event was "magnificent," he said that "everybody would have liked to have had more French in the opening ceremony."

Just so the billions that where watching it couldn't figure out what the hell they where talking about anyway.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

TheGnome wrote:Is it just me or is the Bloc party the reason we don't have a majority government?

Flyerfan you can lick my short little Gnome *bleep* hole. We have a group together to move your stuff out of BC and a Greyhound ticket to get you out ASAP!

Is there any other group in Canada hat is so anti Canadian? They don't even make an effort! Shame. They shouldn't be allowed to use the Canadian flag.

There's a Maple Leaf in Quebec? Wonder where they hid it? :dyinglaughing:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Homeownertoo
Lord of the Board

Post by Homeownertoo »

Eliminate the federal transfer payment program and let Quebecers decide future under the provisions of the Clarity Act.
“Certain things cannot be said, certain ideas cannot be expressed, certain policies cannot be proposed.” -- Leftist icon Herbert Marcuse
“Don’t let anybody tell you it’s corporations and businesses create jobs.” -- Hillary Clinton, 25/10/2014
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

No my idea is give the entire Provence of Quebec to the Natives in the largest land claims settlement to date. Quebec is one third the land mass of the provinces of Canada really so it's fair.

Two problems down with one stone.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

SpaceAddict wrote:No my idea is give the entire Provence of Quebec to the Natives in the largest land claims settlement to date. Quebec is one third the land mass of the provinces of Canada really so it's fair.

Kill two birds with one stone-I like it..
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

animal lover1 wrote:
SpaceAddict wrote:No my idea is give the entire Provence of Quebec to the Natives in the largest land claims settlement to date. Quebec is one third the land mass of the provinces of Canada really so it's fair.

it makes way too much sense so it will never fly - but wow - that is clever.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by animal lover1 »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
animal lover1 wrote:

it makes way too much sense so it will never fly - but wow - that is clever.

The Natives would toss out the French Canadians and then the Anglos would still be stuck taking care of them..... :skyisfalling:

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”