Praise continues to roll in for the Games

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Praise continues to roll in for the Games

Post by Fritzthecat »

Type_O wrote:Canadian metals received as of February 20th;
4 Gold 3 Silver 1 Bronze
Awesome!

Hmmm....what's 8 medals divived by $6 billion? :200:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Captain Awesome wrote:
CatherineC wrote:I'm sure whistler is thrilled that we paid to expand their driveway...

Sea to Sky was a deathtrap. Thank god they fixed it.

that's exactly what i have been sitting here thinking. the games just made them get on the ball and do something before anyone else was killed on that road.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: I think a premier that drinks and gets into trouble with the law (even in some far far away place) only appeals to the public. Hey, our premier is a party animal! May be that's why his rating went up when the events revolving around those pictures took place. To everyone's surprise.

Good point. Look at the President of France. Consider the Prime Minister of Italy. Both these examples of women debasing machismo pigs seem to be very popular with the electorate. Not to say Gordo is machismo (he could only hope) but other than his childish tirades in getting his own way he certainly doesn’t seem to be too concerned with the consequences of his decisions or actions. I guess the one thing he does share with the President of France and the Prime Minister of Italy is their arrogance. That and electorates more concerned with charisma and charm (don’t know how Gordo got that?) than actual substance in governance. Ah well, we get what we deserve.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

ferri wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote: Sea to Sky was a deathtrap. Thank god they fixed it.
that's exactly what i have been sitting here thinking. the games just made them get on the ball and do something before anyone else was killed on that road.

Except people have already died on the new highway. What was fixed? They shaved thirty minutes off the driving time. We spent (you and me) $600 million so that people who own property in Whistler have a thirty minute shorter drive to Vancouver. Of all the desperately needed infrastructure projects in this province I can really apprciate how this one was a priority.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Fritzthecat wrote:
Type_O wrote:Canadian metals received as of February 20th;
4 Gold 3 Silver 1 Bronze
Awesome!

Hmmm....what's 8 medals divived by $6 billion? :200:

It is awesome ! That's $750 million per medal ! What a deal !
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Party's are expensive. The NDP knew that when they advocated and won against other countries - in competition for these, 2010 Olympic Games.

Heck, I was in Toronto at that time, and all be darned, I am sooo happy this is happening in Canada! Shoot, Ontario doesn't have the venues for Winter games.

Our girls are in Vancouver this weekend. How cool is that?

I lived Olympics, in Montreal during 1976, so this is my second Olympic games, I am so glad our kids can witness and be part of something much bigger and brighter.

With all that is happening in our world, the Olympics have given me an opportunity to cheer and yell and move my body with pairs skating, (like I never thought I could), with our daughter, and watching the 'tube' with Shaun White's win (how flipping cool was that!).

Yeh, We may never get the opportunity again.

But I sure as heck, gonna lap it up for all its worth. While it's here.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Type_O wrote: I lived Olympics, in Montreal during 1976, so this is my second Olympic games, I am so glad our kids can witness and be part of something much bigger ....

Didn’t Montreal just finally finish paying off the legacy of debt left by their Olympics after more than thirty years ? You’re right. This current fiasco is even bigger and you’re happy this is the legacy you’re leaving your children with ? Wow. Partying is a real priority in your life I take it.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

steven lloyd wrote:
Type_O wrote: I lived Olympics, in Montreal during 1976, so this is my second Olympic games, I am so glad our kids can witness and be part of something much bigger ....

Didn’t Montreal just finally finish paying off the legacy of debt left by their Olympics after more than thirty years ? You’re right. This current fiasco is even bigger and you’re happy this is the legacy you’re leaving your children with ? Wow. Partying is a real priority in your life I take it.

Oh Steven, yes I read somewhere that the Olympic stadium was finally paid for this summer, I could dig it up, but it was July or August. I was shocked to read this.

Too bad the NDP didn't have that info prior Eh?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Type_O wrote: Too bad the NDP didn't have that info prior Eh?

Don't tell me you're going to try and pull an "Al" and place the blame on a government that hasn't been in power for over ten years? the NDP were idiots then and the Campbell govermnment is idiots now. What's the point?

Unless, of course, you want to take into consideration the fact this goverment had much more timely and relevant information to base decisions on. Or we could still blame the NDP :dyinglaughing:
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

steven lloyd wrote:
Type_O wrote: Too bad the NDP didn't have that info prior Eh?

Don't tell me you're going to try and pull an "Al" and place the blame on a government that hasn't been in power for over ten years? the NDP were idiots then and the Campbell govermnment is idiots now. What's the point?

Unless, of course, you want to take into consideration the fact this goverment had much more timely and relevant information to base decisions on. Or we could still blame the NDP :dyinglaughing:

Are you trying to tell me that the NDP could have backed out of hosting the Olympic Games because they were idiots?
Or are you telling me, because the Liberal Party did not back out of the Olympic games, after the idiot NDP made promises they couldn't keep, the Liberals are to blame?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Type_O wrote: Are you trying to tell me that the NDP could have backed out of hosting the Olympic Games because they were idiots? Or are you telling me, because the Liberal Party did not back out of the Olympic games, after the idiot NDP made promises they couldn't keep, the Liberals are to blame?

Neither one of those scenarios. Backing out of hosting the games was never an option. I cannot tell you how the NDP would have managed this fiasco under the current global circumstances. I could only imagine (and dread) what might have happened under the watch of Carol James. I would, however, also suggest that the appropriate response given the current global circumstances and given the fact we were already committed to hosting the games would have been a deliberate and conscious effort to present something much more modest. What a statement to the world that would have been. Talk about stepping up to the plate and adopting a global leadership role.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

I believe the Liberals have done that, in the economic climate left following the NDP's devastating fall out in this province. Thanks for that.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Type_O wrote:I believe the Liberals have done that, in the economic climate left following the NDP's devastating fall out in this province. Thanks for that.

:coffeecanuck: :dyinglaughing: I'm not going to defend the NDP, but unlike the fiscal carnage previous NDP governments have left us and which we've long recovered from, we/you are going to be paying for the fiscal mismanagement of this government for the rest of our/your lives (at least those of you who choose to remain in this province any longer than you have to). Thanks for the comedy break.
Type_O
Board Meister

Post by Type_O »

Ah! As you mentioned, the Olympics, the NDP output continues to debilitate this province. I don't believe the Liberal Government has created more debt by following through on the NDP commitment in the Olympics nor, as you pointed out, would it be any cheaper (or more modest) with the NDP in power.

Steven Lloyd
(at least those of you who choose to remain in this province any longer than you have to). Thanks for the comedy break.

I didn't realize this was comedy. Cheap shots your last recourse Steven?
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Type_O wrote: Ah! As you mentioned, the Olympics, the NDP output continues to debilitate this province.

Actually, what I said (and I do believe I stated it pretty clearly) is that we’ve long since recovered from any fiscal ineptitude of previous NDP governments (even the "Fast Ferries" are off the books)

Type_O wrote: I don't believe the Liberal Government has created more debt by following through on the NDP commitment in the Olympics nor, as you pointed out, would it be any cheaper (or more modest) with the NDP in power.

That’s something we can never know, and thus quite irrelevant to the discussion at hand. For clarity though, what I did point out was that given current global economic circumstances taking a more modest approach would be adopting a leadership role – an obvious opportunity missed by our esteemed premier in lieu of his chance for gratuitous self-congratulatory fluff. What a leader.

Type_O wrote: I didn't realize this was comedy.

It is when you make it so. The other alternative, of course, would be to pay attention and try to understand a point before just responding to it. Comedy’s good though.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”