Back on-track thread... again

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
Born_again
Guru

Re: Dad Faces Jail For Taking Daughter To Church

Post by Born_again »

oldhippy wrote:
Born_again wrote:Could you please explain the pertinence of your post, oldhippy? I'm confused :eyeballspin:

Sorry to have confused you ... I must have taken it for granted that everyone knew that besides being set on Reservations we were also taken away from our families and sent to Residential Schools.
... not only to have our Native language taken away ... but also our Native Spiritual Beliefs ... do not forget that we were called and treated as Savages when the Christians came ...

So to have the right and privilege to pray in our way ... we had to hide

You don't get it, do you?
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Hijacked thread

Post by Mr Danksworth »

No he doesn't. Two parents fighting over with version of the skydaddy that they want their child exposed to has nothing to do with natives having to practice their religion in secret.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Dad Faces Jail Taking Child to Church

Post by Fancy »

I was wondering if this thread would get back to the topic.
Why can't the parents just leave religion out of this child's life until she is old enough to choose for herself

Guess the question is - when is a child old enough?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

It's a shame really, because he could create a thread of his own; an interesting one at that.

Nature grants to each what's proper.

Late edit to catch Fancy's post:

I'd say that that would depend upon the child's own mental development. There are many simple exercises that you could apply to your/a child to determine their ability to think critically.

For example, you could state to your child that the Holocaust is a complete fabrication of Zionist proponents and see what kind of reaction would follow. Obviously, the best time to do this "exercise" would be while the child is being taught about the Holocaust in Socials 11.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

It's disgusting behaviour when parents use their children in their weird little religious tug of war. There are enough posts to make me queasy on some parent boards I frequent that tell of parents bringing religion into the courtroom in custody disputes. One was trying to show the mom was a dangerous influence for not bringing their children to church as mom was an athiest. The judge sided with the father! I think it's brainwashing to take kids to church under the age when they can decide for themselves critically which religion, or lack of, is a fit for themselves, not mommy and/or daddy's preference.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

jennylives wrote:It's disgusting behaviour when parents use their children in their weird little religious tug of war. There are enough posts to make me queasy on some parent boards I frequent that tell of parents bringing religion into the courtroom in custody disputes. One was trying to show the mom was a dangerous influence for not bringing their children to church as mom was an athiest. The judge sided with the father! I think it's brainwashing to take kids to church under the age when they can decide for themselves critically which religion, or lack of, is a fit for themselves, not mommy and/or daddy's preference.

SO true!!!!!

Also, for some weird reason I do see the pertanence on oldhippy's post....I got from it that some adults can't even practice their own religion, never mind teach it to their children....and then there are others, who make it a war between parents....I guess what I mean is, while some people use it as a weapon, others would be thankful to at least show their kids their beliefs....is that kind of what you were getting at oldhippy?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

jennylives wrote:It's disgusting behaviour when parents use their children in their weird little religious tug of war. There are enough posts to make me queasy on some parent boards I frequent that tell of parents bringing religion into the courtroom in custody disputes. One was trying to show the mom was a dangerous influence for not bringing their children to church as mom was an athiest. The judge sided with the father! I think it's brainwashing to take kids to church under the age when they can decide for themselves critically which religion, or lack of, is a fit for themselves, not mommy and/or daddy's preference.

Parents should think long and hard on how to raise their children before they are born - get on the same page on important issues beforehand instead of fighting about it when the time comes.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Absolutely, as we see when they don't it gets mighty ugly.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

I think major issues like religion should be desided on before even marriage! never mind kids....that can be a pretty major "deal breaker" if you ask me...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

People can get married and be of different religions - whatever works for them and that's a whole other topic. Once the responsibility of raising a child comes into play, there are a whole lot of issues that parents can have totally different opinions about that affects the child. Religion is a big one - how to teach, what to teach, how far to go with the subject, pick a church/not pick one, teach at home or not, raise the cihld in your own image so to speak or encourage a child to explore other religions. Choices are endless but should never end up in court.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

People CAN get married of different religions, and people CAN raise kids with different religions in the home....but it depends on how passionate one is about their religion on whether that works or not....if I was with someone of a different religion then my own, and he was adimate about it and pushed his beliefs, I would eventually have trouble with that when maybe at the beginning I was open minded enough to listen....religion is a VERY touchy subject and has been the distrutive measure in MANY different relationships...between people, cultures, and countries....
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Parents should think long and hard on how to raise their children before they are born

Considering how passionate some people can be about religion, that's why I said the above. Children should not be pawns or involved in a tug-of-war and shows the shortsightedness of those who ignore the obvious of what, when, why or how to teach their children until it is too late. Marriage should be a union not only with each other but to be united in their raising of their kids.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Yes, very true
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

justmyopinion wrote:religion is a VERY touchy subject and has been the distrutive measure in MANY different relationships...between people, cultures, and countries....

So here goes … “religion is a VERY touchy subject” … Spirituality gets along well with Spirituality … Spirituality is … not a religion … oops … did I just say that … oh yes I must have forgotten … we would be called … PEGANS … we do not fight each other no matter what way we believe
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

oldhippy wrote:
justmyopinion wrote:religion is a VERY touchy subject and has been the distrutive measure in MANY different relationships...between people, cultures, and countries....

So here goes … “religion is a VERY touchy subject” … Spirituality gets along well with Spirituality … Spirituality is … not a religion … oops … did I just say that … oh yes I must have forgotten … we would be called … PEGANS … we do not fight each other no matter what way we believe

I am hearing that! I am a Universe believer, which I feel is spiritual and not a religion as well....I believe in strength in oneself....

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”