Back on-track thread... again

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
I Think
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Hijacked thread

Post by I Think »

Fancy wrote:Parents should think long and hard on how to raise their children before they are born

Most parents aren't very good at thinking before they are born & some of them don't improve as they get older.
We're lost but we're making good time.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Nibs wrote:
Fancy wrote:Parents should think long and hard on how to raise their children before they are born

Most parents aren't very good at thinking before they are born & some of them don't improve as they get older.

So true - and based on what's been posted on this thread, some people don't understand the written word.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

In my interpretation of spirituality, religion, and beliefs, I really don't like religion, but I also think it is comforting to the human mind to have a belief, or system of beliefs. Keeping in mind, tho, that we are not as smart as we like to think we are, so our understanding of the world is incomplete and always will be. Therefore, even a belief is a crutch to comfort us from our lack of understanding and our inability to achieve our true capacity for compassion.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
hellomynameis
Lord of the Board

Post by hellomynameis »

:offtopic:
"Books tap the wisdom of our species -- the greatest minds, the best teachers -- from all over the world and from all our history. And they're patient."
- Carl Sagan
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Oops. I seem to have trouble with that.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Joseph Reyes is barred from exposing his baby daughter to non-Jewish religions, under a court order approved Friday.

A local father has been hit with an unusual restraining order: Keep his daughter away from any religion that is not Jewish.

Why? As CBS 2's Mike Puccinelli reports, after the girl's parents split up the father went to a Catholic church and had the girl baptized.

It's a picture of Joseph Reyes and his 3-year-old daughter on the day she was baptized as a Roman Catholic. It was a happy day for this 35-year old Chicago man. But to his estranged wife, it was a malicious act.

That's because Rebecca Reyes only learned of her daughter's Baptism when Joseph sent her the picture.

Joseph Reyes denies he sent the picture out of malice.

"I sent it because Rebecca asked me for pictures," he said.

Mrs. Reyes wants her daughter raised Jewish, and she says her husband pledged to do so, even going so far as to convert to Judaism himself.

"That's not accurate," he responded. "I'm not going to call her a liar, but … at the very least she's mistaken regarding that conversation."

But Mrs. Reyes says it's her estranged husband who made a mistake when he had their daughter baptized. In her petition, she argues that if he's allowed to raise the child in any faith other than Judaism he will cause their daughter irreparable harm.

"I wouldn't harm my daughter simply to somehow spite my soon (soon)to-be ex-wife," Joseph Reyes said. "That's silly and ridiculous."

Reyes' divorce attorney, Joel Brodsky, said when he first saw the petition for a temporary restraining order against his client, he couldn't believe what he was reading.

"I almost fell off my chair," he said. "I thought maybe we were in Afghanistan and this was the Taliban. This is America. We have a First Amendment right of freedom of religion."

The restraining order asks the judge to bar Joseph from taking his daughter to church. According to the petition, failure to restrain him will "continue to the emotional detriment of the child."

Rebecca and her attorneys declined to go on camera but they did release the following statement: "We stand by our petition. We feel the judge will do whatever is best for the child."

The attorney for Joseph Reyes says he will appeal Friday's order.

http://cbs2chicago.com/local/Reyes.Jewi ... 65449.html
Apparently there was a conversation about religion but of course it will be "he said, she said".
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

CBS Chicago? wrote:But Mrs. Reyes says it's her estranged husband who made a mistake when he had their daughter baptized. In her petition, she argues that if he's allowed to raise the child in any faith other than Judaism he will cause their daughter irreparable harm.

Isn't it interesting how cognitive dissonance can allow the individual's brain-vault to be opened just enough to let that partial glimpse of reality squeak out; but still retains powers to overlook the inconsistent logic that her Faith bias provides?

I guess that I will have to cling to my brand of CD, and keep imagining .......
J. Lennon: Imagine wrote:Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

Born_again wrote:[
J. Lennon: Imagine wrote:Imagine there's no Heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace

Imagine … If people could believe in public speaking from the heart

Imagine … If people could speak to each other without saying my was is true

Imagine … It is only children that play with each other without discrimination

Imagine … What it would be like to believe only from the Heart

Imagine … How peaceful it would be if we just could speak without judgment

Imagine … It all could be

“The hardest journey in life is the shortest … form the heart through the lips”
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Re: Back-on-track thread.....

Post by justmyopinion »

Wow oldhippy....sure makes one think.... :200:
oldhippy
Board Meister

Post by oldhippy »

justmyopinion wrote:Wow oldhippy....sure makes one think.... :200:

I have two eyes … one to see the good, one to see the bad

I have two ears … one to hear the good, one to hear the bad

I have two nostrils … one to smell the good, one to smell the bad

I have two sides of a brain … one to know the good, one to know the bad

I have a brain and a mouth … I have a heart and lips

A person that speaks from the brain through the mouth is … deceiving

A person that speaks form the heart through the lips is … revealing
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

oldhippy wrote:
justmyopinion wrote:Wow oldhippy....sure makes one think.... :200:

I have two eyes … one to see the good, one to see the bad

I have two ears … one to hear the good, one to hear the bad

I have two nostrils … one to smell the good, one to smell the bad

I have two sides of a brain … one to know the good, one to know the bad

I have a brain and a mouth … I have a heart and lips

A person that speaks from the brain through the mouth is … deceiving

A person that speaks form the heart through the lips is … revealing

:134: well said!
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: Back off-track thread.....again

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Deepity: Dennett calls this kind of language a “deepity”: a statement that has two meanings, one of which is true but superficial, the other which sounds profound but is meaningless.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

oldhippy wrote:I have two eyes … one to see the good, one to see the bad

Wrong. You have two eyes because two eyes provide a wider field of vision. The two eyes also cooperate in the overlapping visual fields enabling stereoscopic vision by blending slightly dissimilar views of an object which is then seen singly and with depth.

oldhippy wrote:I have two ears … one to hear the good, one to hear the bad

Wrong.You have two ears to help you hear in 3 dimensions.

oldhippy wrote:I have two nostrils … one to smell the good, one to smell the bad

We have two nostrils because some scent molecules dissolve quickly in mucus, others take longer. So slow-dissolving molecules that are whisked too quickly through the nose don’t have a chance to register. Meanwhile, fast-dissolving molecules have their biggest scent impact when they are swept into contact with a large swath of neurons. When we inhale a scent, having two nostrils with different airflows allows us to better detect both kinds of odor molecules, giving us a more complete smell picture of an object.

oldhippy wrote:I have two sides of a brain … one to know the good, one to know the bad

Wrong. The right side of the brain is for the processing of symbols and images, present and future, philosophy & religion, and spatial perception. It is fantasy based.
The left side of the brain uses logic, math and science, is detail oriented, order/pattern, and perception. It is reality based.

oldhippy wrote:I have a brain and a mouth … I have a heart and lips

Yes you do.

oldhippy wrote:A person that speaks from the brain through the mouth is … deceiving

Wrong.

oldhippy wrote:A person that speaks form the heart through the lips is … revealing

Wrong.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Mr Danksworth wrote:
oldhippy wrote:I have two eyes … one to see the good, one to see the bad

Wrong. You have two eyes because two eyes provide a wider field of vision. The two eyes also cooperate in the overlapping visual fields enabling stereoscopic vision by blending slightly dissimilar views of an object which is then seen singly and with depth.

oldhippy wrote:I have two ears … one to hear the good, one to hear the bad

Wrong.You have two ears to help you hear in 3 dimensions.

oldhippy wrote:I have two nostrils … one to smell the good, one to smell the bad

We have two nostrils because some scent molecules dissolve quickly in mucus, others take longer. So slow-dissolving molecules that are whisked too quickly through the nose don’t have a chance to register. Meanwhile, fast-dissolving molecules have their biggest scent impact when they are swept into contact with a large swath of neurons. When we inhale a scent, having two nostrils with different airflows allows us to better detect both kinds of odor molecules, giving us a more complete smell picture of an object.

oldhippy wrote:I have two sides of a brain … one to know the good, one to know the bad

Wrong. The right side of the brain is for the processing of symbols and images, present and future, philosophy & religion, and spatial perception. It is fantasy based.
The left side of the brain uses logic, math and science, is detail oriented, order/pattern, and perception. It is reality based.

oldhippy wrote:I have a brain and a mouth … I have a heart and lips

Yes you do.

oldhippy wrote:A person that speaks from the brain through the mouth is … deceiving

Wrong.

oldhippy wrote:A person that speaks form the heart through the lips is … revealing

Wrong.

Well aren't you a little ray of sunshine this morning :dyinglaughing:
I think when oldhippy refers to two of everything, they are refering to the set you see and the set you don't...there are two ways to see everything, two ways to hear everything, two ways to feel everything....etc....open your mind Mr D - you will know what I mean
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Re: Back off-track thread.....again

Post by JLives »

It really doesn't matter what oldhippy meant, it is OFF topic. Bring it back around please or I'll have to start deleting posts.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”