"More French in the ceremonies"

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
animal lover1
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: "More French in the ceremonies"

Post by animal lover1 »

I know ONE difference. The Montreal Olympic fiasco has been paid for by the entire country. I can assure you that Quebec will NOT Be contributing anything monetarily to the costs of these.

The rest of the country will pay for it and continue to support Quebec...
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

animal lover1 wrote:I know ONE difference. The Montreal Olympic fiasco has been paid for by the entire country. I can assure you that Quebec will NOT Be contributing anything monetarily to the costs of these.

Oh but you can rest assured they'll point out that they did contribute since the whole gist of this latest whining had to do with twenty million in funding that came from the Heritage fund with some strings.

Naturally they'd act like the money all came from them even if it was from the whole country.

As if twenty million paid for much in the grand scheme of things where this whole venture is concerned.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
prairieflower
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by prairieflower »

TheGnome wrote:Bad enough they couldn’t respect Canadian language law, they couldn’t respect French as the first language of the Olympics, which goes back to 1898 and the Frenchman Pierre de Coubertrin.

Look at the date, the world has evolved. And at the rate we are going English will no longer be the international language.

hmmmm and here i thought that the first language of the Olympics was Greek? :137:
SpaceAddict
Lord of the Board

Post by SpaceAddict »

Actually I was thinking about this later. This French complaint is so ridiculous that it's truly pathetic. Who ever started it doesn't have a clue what Vancouver is about and have never visited the place. That city is one of the most diverse in the entire world and everyone gets along just fine. A model for the planet. Look at the parties going on there. It's just nuts. Think anyone there gives a damn about how much French was in the ceremonies right now? No cause it's pointless bickering. If Quebec feels left out well they can always bid on there own Winter Olympics in the future. Bet the parties will not be as good and I also bet it will not be even as close in pure friendship and spirit. Vancouver right now ROCKS ! The entire PLANET has noticed except for Quebec..
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

SpaceAddict wrote:Actually I was thinking about this later. This French complaint is so ridiculous that it's truly pathetic. Who ever started it doesn't have a clue what Vancouver is about and have never visited the place. That city is one of the most diverse in the entire world and everyone gets along just fine. A model for the planet. Look at the parties going on there. It's just nuts. Think anyone there gives a damn about how much French was in the ceremonies right now? No cause it's pointless bickering. If Quebec feels left out well they can always bid on there own Winter Olympics in the future. Bet the parties will not be as good and I also bet it will not be even as close in pure friendship and spirit. Vancouver right now ROCKS ! The entire PLANET has noticed except for Quebec..

Yes I heard on the news today that the IOC President Jacques Rogge said he's never seen this kind of support anywhere before.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

I am here now in Vancouver and it is wild!! This is truly BC and Canada's time to shine and we are shining brightly!!! Poo poo to the nay-sayers - what a bunch of losers you are! The Olympics are rocking!!! This is so awesome here right now! This just confirms my suspicions - the only people knocking the Olympics are either just horribly jealoius or outright fools. The debate over whether they shoud be here is over, they are here. So either enjoy them, find a way to experience some pride in your country for doing such a great job hposting the Games, or if you are so pathetic you can't do that, then do everyone else a favour and just shut the hell up. Back to the party!! Woooohooo!!! :)
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Liberty and Truth wrote:I am here now in Vancouver and it is wild!! This is truly BC and Canada's time to shine and we are shining brightly!!! Poo poo to the nay-sayers - what a bunch of losers you are! The Olympics are rocking!!! This is so awesome here right now! This just confirms my suspicions - the only people knocking the Olympics are either just horribly jealoius or outright fools. The debate over whether they shoud be here is over, they are here. So either enjoy them, find a way to experience some pride in your country for doing such a great job hposting the Games, or if you are so pathetic you can't do that, then do everyone else a favour and just shut the hell up. Back to the party!! Woooohooo!!! :)

speaking of losers , It's nice that you left town as there is one less here now.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Pesky
Fledgling

Post by Pesky »

Flyerfan - thanks for confirming why you are the biggest tool on these forums.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Wow - my wife is blubbering on the couch right now like a baby after watching Joannie Rochette skate with all her heart just now. It's this kind of stuff that makes all this French-English stuff seem so completely stupid. So what if she is from Quebec or Alberta or the Yukon - she just skated for the entire country, and did her mother and her entire country proud. That's what its all about. Way to go Joannie - you are my new hero.
eyepop
Lord of the Board

Re: "More French in the competition"

Post by eyepop »

indeed.

a true champion.
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
LoneWolf_53 wrote:
flyerfan2 wrote: How are those over runs any different then Vancouver's.?

Oh right they happened in Quebec not B.C.!!

Well for one thing I'm of the mind that it might just be prudent to actually wait for some solid numbers after the event is finished before simply shooting from the hip and using speculation because it makes for good fodder.

I wasn't an Olympic supporter but before comparing Vancouver to the dismal failures of Montreal some actual hard data is required.

and I'm not comparing the two - just pointing out that Montreal's Olympics were 4 times over budget (unbelivable!) - I don't think any Olympics before or since has been that over budget - especially when you factor in inflation and the value of a dollar in 1975-1976 to a value of a dollar now.

check this little piece of fact..
http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news ... 6fd3144d3f
The opening salvo of the critiques came from B.C.'s Auditor-General Arn van Iersel, who effectively shot down the provincial government's long-standing claim that the cost of the Olympics wouldn't exceed $600 million. Van Iersel says $1.9 billion in Olympic-related projects -- from the Sea to Sky Highway to sections of the new Canada rapid rail line that will service the Olympic Village -- should be included in the Games' real price tag of $2.5 billion.

or how about this one....
http://www.vancouversun.com/Sports/Olym ... story.html
But by our incomplete tally and with another year to go until the Games, it’s more than $6,000,000,000

ALL olympics are over budget - always have been, always will be. Targeting current french culture over the pitfalls of an event that took place 30+ years is really sad and pathetically narrow-minded.

Some people need to get their heads out of their a$$es and understand that being born into a language and the culture it bears is not a choice. And god forbid some western canadians are any more open minded than their quebec counterparts. There are fundamentalists and bad apples in every cultural batch, learning to understand the difference between them and the majority of the population is really not that difficult - although it appears that in this forum it is rocket science....
manmade
Fledgling

Post by manmade »

animal lover1 wrote:I know ONE difference. The Montreal Olympic fiasco has been paid for by the entire country. I can assure you that Quebec will NOT Be contributing anything monetarily to the costs of these.

Actually Quebec and Ontario are contributors to the 2010 games...I have to search for the link right but something in the range of 5-10 million was given to BC.

Also, the 1976 Olympic debt was NOT paid for by the entire country - it was recovered mostly through alcohol and tobacco taxes in Quebec. As a smoker in the early 90's in Montreal, I was paying over $8/pack... almost 20 years ago(!)

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”