Total cost is now 9.2 Billion $'s and counting

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: Total cost is now 9.2 Billion $'s and counting

Post by grammafreddy »

Liberty and Truth wrote:*snip (because your personal attacks are tiresome)

show what an awesome country and province we are, you'll shut up and actually accept our awesomeness.

Sure, Canada is awesome and yes, BC is awesome, too. But I really don't think we needed to spend billions and billions of dollars and drag our taxpayers into debt for many years to get that message across.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

Cateyes wrote:Let's do some basic math.

13%HST and higher provincial income tax. Guaranteed.

If you're going to use basic math at least know the tax rates to start with.

HST will be 12% and as of 2009 the BC personal tax rate starts at 5.06%...the lowest it has been in over a decade. Almost half of the 9.9% it was in the late 90's. The federal rate is also a couple percentage points lower and they have added other tax credits that help lower wage earners.

Lower income earners are taking home a higher percentage of their gross pay than in past years.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

grammafreddy wrote:I am sharing Cateyes' concern for these huge costs and I also am inclined to lump a lot of what some are calling infrastructure into the Olympic equation. Without the hosting of the games, a lot of this would not have happened, so it isn't entirely right to exclude them from the costs.

Perhaps another way to look at it is that, while many of these projects might have happened anyway (or may not have, or an alternative priority may have taken precedent), they were non the less accellerated to benefit the Olympics. Accelleration to hit tight deadlines carries extra costs, so it will always be an argument as to whether the full net cost of these projects or, part of the net cost of these projects (and to what percentage) will be attributable to the cost of the Olympics. Going forward the armchair analysts will be playing with these numbers for years trying to arrive at the true bottom line. The test question of course will be... "Had we NOT held the 2010 Winter Olympics, how much of what they cost (net) would we have spent anyway, and on what?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote: The test question of course will be... "Had we NOT held the 2010 Winter Olympics, how much of what they cost (net) would we have spent anyway, and on what? Nab

Pretty impossible question to answer (outside of opinion anyway), isn't it ?
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

steven lloyd wrote:
NAB wrote: The test question of course will be... "Had we NOT held the 2010 Winter Olympics, how much of what they cost (net) would we have spent anyway, and on what? Nab

Pretty impossible question to answer (outside of opinion anyway), isn't it ?

It certainly is - I doubt the BC taxpayer will ever know the real cost of these games. Not in dollars and not in cutbacks to other services to help pay for them. We'll just keep on paying for them, not knowing what we are paying for.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

grammafreddy wrote:I am sharing Cateyes' concern for these huge costs and I also am inclined to lump a lot of what some are calling infrastructure into the Olympic equation. Without the hosting of the games, a lot of this would not have happened, so it isn't entirely right to exclude them from the costs.

I disagree - head down to Vancouver and see it for yourself like I did - then judge.
Liberty and Truth

grammafreddy wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:*snip (because your personal attacks are awesome and necessary given how much you are attacked)

show what an awesome country and province we are, you'll shut up and actually accept our awesomeness.

Sure, Canada is awesome and yes, BC is awesome, too..

Thanks for agreeing!!
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

^ You are BACK already?? Must be. But wonder how you managed to be so AWED by BC's AWSOMENESS when you were posting about it all the time. Hmm....
Chill
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

flamingfingers wrote:^ You are BACK already?? Must be. But wonder how you managed to be so AWED by BC's AWSOMENESS when you were posting about it all the time. Hmm....

No kidding....
You went to Vancouver when? :coffeecanuck:

Sounds like a load of bovine feces to me.
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Liberty and Truth

Fritzthecat wrote:
flamingfingers wrote:^ You are BACK already?? Must be. But wonder how you managed to be so AWED by BC's AWSOMENESS when you were posting about it all the time. Hmm....

No kidding....
You went to Vancouver when? :coffeecanuck:

Sounds like a load of bovine feces to me.

you would know what bovine feces sound like all right

I am back all ready - too bad for all you cry babies and whiners. :) Deal with it.
Liberty and Truth

It's called a Blackberry. Look into it.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Liberty and Truth wrote:

You spent your time in Vancouver at the 2010 Olympics which so passionately champion, surfing Castanet on your Blackberry? :coffeecanuck: :dyinglaughing:

Keep it up! I need a good laugh. :coffeecanuck: :dyinglaughing: :ohmygod: :dyinglaughing:
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Liberty and Truth

Fritzthecat wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:

You spent your time in Vancouver at the 2010 Olympics which so passionately champion, surfing Castanet on your Blackberry? :coffeecanuck: :dyinglaughing:

Keep it up! I need a good laugh. :coffeecanuck: :dyinglaughing: :ohmygod: :dyinglaughing:

:127: Give it a rest already. We don't like each other. I think everyone gets it.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
Fritzthecat wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:

:127: Give it a rest already. We don't like each other. I think everyone gets it.

Hey man, I'm just asking you some questions, If you want to BS fine, but don't get your feelings hurt if you get caught, OK?
Liberty and Truth

Fritzthecat wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:
Fritzthecat wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:

Hey man, I'm just asking you some questions, If you want to BS fine, but don't get your feelings hurt if you get caught, OK?

Get caught? What? I honestly don't care what you are even talking about.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”