Nuns

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Re: Nuns

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

I am still not getting the answer I was looking for. This involves a divorce but does not involve counselling. I would really like to figure out whats going on here without having to divulge to much personal family information.

BTW The marriage of Mr. and Mrs. old-bushman is fine. It's not us. :luffyou:
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Is it possible the woman involved in the divorce wants to become a nun? I can see a nun guiding her through this as generally the church frowns upon divorce and becoming a nun afterwards is supposably difficult....perhaps the nun was assigned by the church to help
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Possible, but not probable. In fact, highly doubtful. I would have to say no.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

Hmmm....well, is the nun maybe a friend, and not actually acting as a nun in this?
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Doubtful. The man is already remarried.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

old-bushman wrote:Doubtful. The man is already remarried.

??? Can you please explain this?
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

This couple divorced some time ago and he remarried.
justmyopinion
Lord of the Board

Post by justmyopinion »

and the nun is just getting involved now or was back when they were divorcing?

I didn't mean that kind of friend....I meant like a friend to talk to or mediate the divorce
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

not sure on the divorce thing, but i think they are supposed to be "married" or give their lives to jesus, whom they consider their salvation to heaven.

There is a historical background to the roman catholic sect, where they usually wear a silver ring on their hand, as a sign of a "marraige to god". The monks would wear gold.

There is also an older history that says its linked to the old pagan preists and preistesses. The silver shows devotion to the moon goddess, the gold to the sun god.

not necessarily an expert. Theres more but i'd have to start citing sources before people start throwing the crackpot word around.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I had to do kindergarden to grade 5 in a small town catholic school. I had many nuns for teachers. They are the biggest bunch of petty, miserable, vindictive, and undersexed women I have ever had the displeasure of meeting/working with.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

well there's a surprise, Danks didn't like the Nuns. I liked the Nuns I worked with, I found them kind, understanding and forgiving.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
BVulgaris
Board Meister

Post by BVulgaris »

i think it depends some times on the nuns... remember, they are just people.

I talked with a friend (in his 70's) who lived in denmark for his youth, and he remembers his mother telling him a story of a nun she met while sharing a carraige. Apparently this nun was sent around to various catholic priests to "service them". I was rather shocked by his story, but he claims this is what his mother told him.

I take this story with a grain of salt because i've met a few nuns and they are usually doing good work and are not deviant. But if you look through history you find that they are just people trying to do their best in their deity's eyes. Some times good intentions can turn into horrific results, but the people are usually good.... though you do some times come across a catholic school nun who has had enough of the little hyperactive kids they have to administer.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I don't know if it happens any more, but nuns used to run brothels in their cloisters. The expression, "get thee to the nunnery" really stems from a whole different meaning than what we outside the circle would believe. A man who was playing around on his wife would be sent by his priest to the nunnery to play - because it was then viewed as sanctioned by god and thus acceptable for the salvation of his marriage vows - and priests were heavy users of the nunneries in the past when their devotion to god was tested by mere mortal elements and "diversions" with their parishioners.

But that probably doesn't answer the OP's issue. Sorry.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”