The Glitch Games

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Re: The Glitch Games

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

LoneWolf_53 asks
So where do you think these rich Americans in their Beemers spend money? Need a clue? Two letters. Starts with a B and ends with C.

I thought Ballistic as in missiles, but thats how they make money, arming the world.
I thought Bankrupt-C as in Whistler.
I thought Basic, as in shelter for the homeless, affordable medical care, and schools.
But it dawned on me the only place the rich Americans in their Beemers will be spending their money is on Blonde Co-eds.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

old-bushman wrote:LoneWolf_53 asks
So where do you think these rich Americans in their Beemers spend money? Need a clue? Two letters. Starts with a B and ends with C.

I thought Ballistic as in missiles, but thats how they make money, arming the world.
I thought Bankrupt-C as in Whistler.
I thought Basic, as in shelter for the homeless, affordable medical care, and schools.
But it dawned on me the only place the rich Americans in their Beemers will be spending their money is on Blonde Co-eds.

And who do you think get's that money? The people that own the resort. Three letters, starts with U and ends with A. As far as service workers. A lot of them are from Australia. Who then pay the owners of Whistler for accomodation and food because they cannot afford vehicles to live off site..........oh and part of their compensation isn't money but lift tickets. Do that math...if you can. Guess you flunked out of basic economics.
Find something to give a damn about!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

I didn't flunk math and I recognize a single digit IQ when I see one. Congrats you've proven a hummingbird has a larger brain than you do.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Cumungala
Übergod

Post by Cumungala »

All the Americans are laughing at us saying that we cant even host the Olympic Games right. They are saying its OUR fault about the lack of snow. They act as if the small glitch during the opening ceremony was as bad as a roof collapsing or something like that. You cant really escape anything without some sort of a glitch.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

How come no one ever quotes examples like this.

Benefits of the Games

"Direct economic impact of the Games projected at $2.1 billion in gross domestic
product and 55,000 person years of employment earning $1.9 billion in wages and
salaries in British Columbia.3
§ Including potential multiplier (indirect and induced) impacts, potential generation of
$3.3 billion in total gross domestic product and 77,000 total person years of
employment with wages and salaries of $2.6 billion for residents of British Columbia.4
3 A"

Those are direct numbers and don't include other income that is being generated by the games. i.e. There were 200,000 people in downtown Vancouver on Saturday night. How much money did they spend.

Here is some good reading

http://www.2010wintergamessecretariat.c ... Update.pdf
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

rookie314 wrote:How come no one ever quotes examples like this.

Benefits of the Games

"Direct economic impact of the Games projected at $2.1 billion in gross domestic
§ Including potential multiplier (indirect and induced) impacts, potential generation of
employment with wages and salaries of $2.6 billion for residents of British Columbia.4
3 A"

Those are direct numbers and don't include other income that is being generated by the games. i.e. There were 200,000 people in downtown Vancouver on Saturday night. How much money did they spend.

Here is some good reading

http://www.2010wintergamessecretariat.c ... Update.pdf

Easy. It doesn't suit their agenda to factor anything positive into the equation.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

rookie314 wrote:"Direct economic impact of the Games projected at $2.1 billion in gross domestic
3 A"

Yeah, but how do you bash the government with positive things???
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

Hummm, got pretty quite all of a sudden. Some folks must be digging around in their British Tabloid papers for more "facts" to help support their argument. Did anyone else notice that we are now tied for the lead in Gold medals?

CANADA ROCKS!!!!!!
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:
rookie314 wrote:"Direct economic impact of the Games projected at $2.1 billion in gross domestic
3 A"

You add in all the tax that BC citizens will be forced to pay, then also factor in the cuts to services then bash them because we can do the math and are not as stupid as the people and government who try to hoodwink us about how wonderful everything is.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=51962.html

Rogge raves about Vancouver experience

When Jacques Rogge made his first visit to Canada as president of the International Olympic Committee, he encountered a nation in mourning.

He arrived during the National Hockey League lockout in 2004 and everywhere he went, all he heard about was the lack of hockey.

"I discovered your passion for hockey when I first came here," Rogge said in an interview.

Now he's returned to find a nation in celebration.

Canada won four medals on Wednesday and defeated Russia in men's hockey to advance to the semi-final.

Rogge was there for one of them, sitting alongside the speed skating track in Richmond as Clara Hughes took to the ice for her final race, winning a bronze.

The IOC president, who has presided over two prior Winter Games, marvelled at the full house in the oval, even on a rainy midweek afternoon.

While Dutch fans wearing orange roared for their teams, he said their spirit was old hat - their country is next to his native home of Belgium, he pointed out, and he knows them well.

But the Canadians?

"I have never seen a city embrace the Games as Vancouver has done, it's really been astounding," he told a small group of reporters.

"I would say Sydney comes at the same level, but you cannot compare Summer and Winter Games. What we have seen here, in the streets of Vancouver, is absolutely extraordinary
."

My thoughts exactly.
Pesky
Fledgling

Post by Pesky »

grammafreddy wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:
3 A"

You add in all the tax that BC citizens will be forced to pay, then also factor in the cuts to services then bash them because we can do the math and are not as stupid as the people and government who try to hoodwink us about how wonderful everything is.

Wow Grandma, sounds like you've had a hard life. Cheer up! Since we're paying for this like you say with higher taxes and cuts to our services, let's just enjoy the moment we've purchased. It will be gone before we know it.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Ahhh yes, as the party winds down and the rain comes back the real picture starts to appear!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/25/sport ... er.html?hp
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I just came back from Vancouver. I'm speechless! The whole city is united in this selebration. Extremely well organizied. Best thing that happened to Vancouver in a long time.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Captain Awesome wrote:I just came back from Vancouver. I'm speechless! The whole city is united in this selebration. Extremely well organizied. Best thing that happened to Vancouver in a long time.

I had the exact same experience. Just rocking there right now. So positive and energetic - I hope this spirit carries Vancouver for years to come, as those predicting failure are now realizing that's not going to happen, so the chorus of negativity will now focus on the final costs and what debt is remaining. I hope it's not close to what some are predicting and the long term benefits outweigh any legacy costs. I know the Canada Line is a huge boost to Vancouver's downtown, and something they should have had a long time ago as an effective and low cost means of public transport.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Oh yea, a 2 week orgasm makes having to live with the debt for the rest of our lives for a generation makes it all worthwhile eh?

Let's do it again next month....mmmkay.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”