Did VanOC do a good job with Vancouver 2010?

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.

Good job overall?

Yes
79%
No
21%

Total votes: 33

Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Did VanOC do a good job with Vancouver 2010?

Post by Captain Awesome »

Ok, let's stop talking about medals and hockey for a second. What everybody thinks of how VanOC handled the challenges? Did they do a good job overall?

PS: Let's stay away from discussions about whether or not this money would be better spent elsewhere. Let's not even mention Gordon Campbell. Judge VanOC performance only.
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Feb 28th, 2010, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Re: Did VanOC do a good job with Vancouver 2010?

Post by Nebula »

Yup.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

Yes.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

I've added a poll.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Nope.. All was well until they blew it by holding the closing ceremonies under a full moon ;-)

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
westsidebud
Lord of the Board

Post by westsidebud »

yes
GO CANUCKS GO
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

From everything I heard from friends and family in Vancouver.

Good job. :smt023 :smt023
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fritzthecat
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Fritzthecat »

Captain Awesome wrote:Ok, let's stop talking about medals and hockey for a second. What everybody thinks of how VanOC handled the challenges? Did they do a good job overall?

PS: Let's stay away from discussions about whether or not this money would be better spent elsewhere. Let's not even mention Gordon Campbell. Judge VanOC performance only.

Well, with all the money that was given to them, the lack of restrictions on how to spend it, lack of accountalbility, and the fact that they just kept coming back for morewith their cap in hand, they bloody well better have put on a good show. Gonna take 30 years to pay for it......
Calling yourself a libertarian today is a lot like wearing a mullet back in the nineteen eighties.
When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. Bishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Fritzthecat wrote:Well, with all the money that was given to them, the lack of restrictions on how to spend it, lack of accountalbility, and the fact that they just kept coming back for morewith their cap in hand, they bloody well better have put on a good show. Gonna take 30 years to pay for it......

So...was that yes or no?
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

I'm gonna go with a 'No'.

The games themselves and ceremonies were good. It was their other conduct I didn't appreciate.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

FunkyBunch wrote:I'm gonna go with a 'No'.

The games themselves and ceremonies were good. It was their other conduct I didn't appreciate.

:137:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

Like the not allowing fundraisers or gatherings of more than 30 people if official sponsors were not part of it. The making sure that Anti-Olympic signs could not be hung.
But, I guess we forget how horrible they were to people because the games themselves were entertaining.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Well, sponsors are an important part of the Olympics. Funny how some people complain about how much the taxpayers will owe for the Olympics and then complain about sponsors. You just can't satisfy some people but VANOC did a great job.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

FunkyBunch wrote:The making sure that Anti-Olympic signs could not be hung.

Just FYI, I've see hundreds of anti-Olympic signs and anti-IOC signs in Vancouver. None of the house owners were beat up by IOC SWAT teams.
FunkyBunch
Übergod

Post by FunkyBunch »

I didn't complain about the sponsors, it was VANOC's conduct I had problems with.
Come on, they made pizza places who had been in business for years, change their names!

Edit@Captain Aweseom: No, but they ensured the by-law was passed so it would be possible.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”