The Party's Over

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

The Party's Over

Post by grammafreddy »

We've had our fun.

From somewhere, you have to come up with over 10 BILLION DOLLARS (and that's just the part we know about).

How you gonna pay for it?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Liberty and Truth

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Liberty and Truth »

*removed off topid remark - Jennylives
dieseluphammerdown
Guru

Post by dieseluphammerdown »

Yup now the post party hangover starts.!!

Let the tax rate's go up and services get dropped games begin in order to pay for this.
This message brought to you by a proud old stock Canadian.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes
And shoot him with my old 45
Liberty and Truth

flyerfan2 wrote:Yup now the post party hangover starts.!!

Let the tax rate's go up and services get dropped games begin in order to pay for this.

ok - and if the services don't get dropped and taxes don't go up - you'll apologize right?
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Liberty and Truth wrote:

ok - and if the services don't get dropped and taxes don't go up - you'll apologize right?

and if the medical care does not get cut....oops...too late.
and if various other gov't services do not get cut.....oops...too late.
Find something to give a damn about!
Liberty and Truth

Cateyes wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:

prove there is any relation and that any cuts weren't already going to happen anyway - you can't
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

How can anyone think that hosting these games won't generate tons of money in having the world see our beautiful province..........there is going to be tons of spin off from these games.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Bubalouie wrote:How can anyone think that hosting these games won't generate tons of money in having the world see our beautiful province..........there is going to be tons of spin off from these games.

How?

From whom?

Where in this province will jobs be created?

Define spin-off ...
__________________________________________________________________________________________

grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
Cateyes wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:

prove there is any relation and that any cuts weren't already going to happen anyway - you can't

Prove the opposite.

You can't.

Liberty and Truth

grammafreddy wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:
Cateyes wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:

Prove the opposite.

You can't.

right - so the point is - you can't prove anything but you choose to be negative and a total downer a day after we just showed the entire world what an amazing country we are, while I can't prove anything and choose to be positive and bask in the warm glow of 7 years of hard work and two weeks of amazing performances and awesome spirit. Luckily we both get to choose what side we want to be on in a free country, and I'd rather be tarred, feathered and whipped by leather lashes than miss out on this amazing feeling of goodwill that I, and 99% of the rest of the country, is feeling today. I really feel sorry for you that you aren't willing to experience it too - moments like this is a country's history only come by once or twice a century.
Last edited by Liberty and Truth on Mar 1st, 2010, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mutha
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mutha »

Really, when you think about it, where will the 10 billion dollars or so come from? The security budget was at least 900 million dollars. Does the IOC kick in some of the money? A certain amount would be recouped from tv revenues, ticket sales, and tourism, but I would think that would just scratch the surface. A huge amount of the cost has to come out of the tax coffers. If the money spent on these Olympics was dumped into health care for third world countries, I bet it would go a long way to eliminate easily treated diseases that are unheard of here, but still kill hundreds of thoursands or millions of people every year.

With each successive Olympic games, there is incredible pressure to outdo the previous games. It's like a sports arms race. When does it end? Will a host country eventually run out of money before they can finish building the venues etc. Sochi is apparently starting from scratch. The Russian economy is pretty unstable I think. I won't be surprised if there are problems getting it together for the 2014 games.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Well, considering there is already speculation that this years budget will produce a 1.7 Billion dollar fiscal deficit, on top of the 2. something Billion fiscal deficit that was produced last year, and which we don't know yet if even that came in on target anyway (and both of which add to our long term debt)... Then for sure something is going to have to give somewhere.

What it would have been if the party hadn't happened is anyone's guess.

On another note, I read somewhere this morning that Visa had reported something like $100 Million in credit card charges passed through their system over the Olympic period, and I assume that other credit cards will report similar numbers - so card holders now have their own debt to pay too. Considering the "investment" in the games and related infrastructure whether 6 billion or 10 billion or even more, the lower mainland economy "enjoyed" a rather paltry "spinoff" to this point I would think.

...and one wonders if even that may be offset to some considerable degree as individuals "cut back" their expenditures until they have paid their credit card bills resulting from overspending during the period.

Nab
Last edited by NAB on Mar 1st, 2010, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
rookie314
Übergod

Post by rookie314 »

You do know there is money coming into the pot not just leaving? Obviously not its all about how much it costs, never about the over $4 Billion that has been directly injected into the BC economy. Nothing about the lasting impact of the games on tourism for example. I lived in Calgary after the games and the impact on Calgary and the surrounding area was massive due to the games. Why don't you negative Nellie's all get together, go to Tim's and sit and Bitc*h to each other instead of dragging the rest of us into your sewer of depression.

Great Job Vancouver, BC and CANADA the second largest landmass on the planet, the first nation of hockey, the best part of North America and the Greatest place to live, PERIOD and that is FACT. :sunshine:
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

whenever you play, you have to pay.............the little bit of money that we do recover from these games is not even going to come close to covering the cost.........

I realize it's hard not to be a drunk Olympic cheerleader right now.....believing everything is rosy and all the costs are going to be covered...........

But Gordo is going to bring in his new budget in a few days.........and it's going to be somewhat comical to watch how he's going to spin all the cuts that were going to receive without directly connecting them to this multibillion-dollar Olympic Games.........

but then again, he had all you liberal cheerleaders believing that he had no intention of bringing in the HST before the last election :dyinglaughing:

the B.C. rail trial is going to start shortly........and the explanation of the destruction of those very important e-mails should keep Gordo and his group was smiling lackeys busy for more than a few days ...........
Liberty and Truth

NAB wrote:Well, considering there is already speculation that this years budget will produce a 1.7 Billion dollar fiscal deficit, on top of the 2. something Billion fiscal deficit that was produced last year, and which we don't know yet if even that came in on target anyway (and both of which add to our long term debt)... Then for sure something is going to have to give somewhere.

What it would have been if the party hadn't happened is anyone's guess.

On another note, I read somewhere this morning that Visa had reported something like $100 Million in credit card charges passed through their system over the Olympic period, and I assume that other credit cards will report similar numbers - so card holders now have their own debt to pay too. Considering the "investment" in the games and related infrastructure whether 6 billion or 10 billion or even more, the lower mainland economy "enjoyed" a rather paltry "spinoff" to this point I would think.

...and one wonders if even that may be offset to some considerable degree as individuals "cut back" their expenditures until they have paid their credit card bills resulting from overspending during the period.

Nab

who the hell cares about the individuals cutting back on spending - you do know that a large majority of the people in Vancouver for the Olympics were from outside BC and outside of Canada right? All we care about is that they spent their money here - and they did - all reports I have heard is that sales of everything - clothing, food, beer, everything - far far surpassed all the most positive estimates. The big mistake here is trying to measure the benefits only in the two week period - as another poster said - these Games are going to pay dividends for years to come just like they did in Calgary. Anyone who says otherwise is just a plain liar, with an agenda.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”