Olympic Closing Ceremonies

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
ILBT uh-huh
Guru

Re: Olympic Closing Ceremonies

Post by ILBT uh-huh »

Fortunately we got to see Niel. For that, all else will be forgiven.
Morning coffee is the highlight of my day. It's downhill all day after that.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

After what took place a couple hours earlier(of the start to the closing ceremonies), I would have enjoy just about anything.
So I sat back and watch along with my 2 roommates and enjoy the show.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Carmencat
Übergod

Post by Carmencat »

While I enjoyed the closing ceremonies, I would have preferred if they had some performers for those over, say, 25. I know it was a party for the athletes, but I am sure many of the paying audience were of a more mature age. At certianly the TV audience was of all ages.

I was hoping they would have had Randy Bachmann sing "Taking Care of Business" at the end, since that is what the athletes did. Or at least end with singing Oh Canada where the audience could sing along. I found the ending rather abrupt.
Mutha
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mutha »

I thought Rush was playing. Sat through the whole thing just to see them. I get real tired of the Mountie thing. It's so over done. Gotten to the point where when a new porta potta is installed at a construction site, you have to have a couple of mounties in red serge for the official opening.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

NBC cut out early. Can't say I blame them. Too many cringe worthy moments.

Was looking good with the brilliant opening making fun of the glitch but it was a train wreck after that.

Note to Greece or whoever, enough with lip syncing Opera for do not use auto censor work arounds!/ferri sakes! Yikes! :spinball:
Find something to give a damn about!
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

the only train wreck was in your mind - the closing ceremony was amazing.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

And what the deleted by Tripwas this all about. Why didn't they throw in some moose, igloos, and bob and doug makenzie walking around with beers to make the hick steretypes complete.

Liberty and Truth

Cateyes wrote:And what the deleted By Trip was this all about. Why didn't they throw in some moose, igloos, and bob and doug makenzie walking around with beers to make the hick steretypes complete.

if you had been actually paying attention - that was the entire point of that performance. We were making fun of ourselves. Why am I wasting my time explaining this to you. You aren't worth it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

I liked the beavers. Beaver power!
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Captain Awesome wrote:I liked the beavers. Beaver power!

And don't forget the giant hockey pucks running around.......oy vey :spinball:
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

I am so proud we showed the world that Canada really is all about giant Beavers, Dudley do right, hockey, and indians on canoes. Yea, that's EXACTLY what goes on around here.

:200:

Liberty and Truth

great job by Shatner and Michael J. Fox - I wasn't as impressed with Kathryn O'Hara's bit but what can you do. Mike Myers would have been good but he's saving up for the Toronto Olympics. 2024 maybe? I would prefer we got another winter olympics though - and that would be better suited for Quebec City I think. Plus I just don't like Toronto very much.
exFarmerS
Board Meister

Post by exFarmerS »

Liked the giant moose, Neil Young, Nickelback, and Hedley. Always like Mountie stuff. The Olympics don't make me patriotic but mountains, ocean and the RCMP musical ride do.
Would have liked to have seen Stompin' Tom.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

I thought the closing ceremonies were as good as the opening ones - for different reasons. They were more fun, more real, more Canadian, eh?
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Carmencat wrote:While I enjoyed the closing ceremonies, I would have preferred if they had some performers for those over, say, 25.

I'm 53 and it just couldn't get any more iconic than Neil Young. As an old rock and roller I also find myself enjoying a lot of new music and thought Nickleback absolutely rocked. Just me though.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”