The Party's Over

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Re: The Party's Over

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:Oh come on, gramma, we were having fun.

I am so glad you said that in the past tense. The future tense will perhaps not be so much fun???
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

grammafreddy wrote:

I am so glad you said that in the past tense. The future tense will perhaps not be so much fun???

Care to make it interesting?

Let's bet that people who focus on negative stuff will always be negative nansies poisoning everyone's mood with their pointless innuendos. They'll forever keep going digging more and more of bad news, projections, and predictions. They'll take anything people see value in and destroy it with their negativity. They'll stomp on people's pride for their country and province, its athletes, and achievements. They'll make outrageous claims just to downplay and to discredit what some people with vision for this province and people of this province worked really hard on.

And normal folks will always be able to soberly judge the situation based on facts presented, not "sky is falling" scenarios. That people who project just a little bit of positivity will always remember these past days as absolutely amazing days of unity, patriotism, and healthy spirit. And won't be crying over how much money this whole thing cost us. Sure we'll have challenges. After all we live in interesting times, and challenging times are ahead of us. But these few days of unity of this great nation are priceless.

And I hope kids that will be inspired by our country performance in sports will get into sports more and more. That they'll be challenging each other to try harder, to go faster, and to achieve more. And that today's kids will grow up strong, confident, and proud of where they came from, so they won't need to spill filth about our achievements, about our role models just to make feel better about themselves. After all, nation full of inspired healthy kids won't need to stand in line to Food Bank. They won't need to do drugs. They won't need social services.

So. Wanna bet?
Last edited by Captain Awesome on Mar 1st, 2010, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Captain Awesome wrote:
grammafreddy wrote:

Care to make it interesting?

Let's bet that people who focus on negative stuff will always be negative nansies poisoning everyone's mood with their pointless innuendos. They'll forever keep going digging more and more of bad news, projections, and predictions. They'll take anything people see value in and destroy it with their negativity. They'll stomp on people's pride for their country and province, its athletes, and achievements. They'll make outrageous claims just to downplay and to discredit what some people with vision for this province and people of this province worked really hard on.

And normal folks will always be able to soberly judge the situation based on facts presented, not "sky is falling" scenarios. That people who project just a little bit of positivity will always remember these past days as absolutely amazing days of unity, patriotism, and healthy spirit. And won't be crying over how much money this whole thing cost us. Sure we'll have challenges. After all we live in interesting times, and challenging times are ahead of us. But these few days of unity of this great nation are priceless.

So. Wanna bet?

No. I am much more careful with my money. Deep, deep down inside of me I really would want you to win.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Just what we needed: another anti-games thread started by and perpetuated by Negative Nellies. As if we haven't had enough of them already, on top of the 'positive' threads hijacked by the Black Cloud Gang.

Yes, the party is over. Thank goodness we had it. We needed it. We were ripe for it. And although it was never planned that way, it came at the perfect time.

It must utterly suck to be one of the minority who is so hell bent on concentrating only on negative things. I submit the majority gained something from these games that will be very difficult to put a price tag on. And the majority knows it. They could feel it when the torch passed through their towns and they let that feeling in; they didn't push it away because they wanted to stay stuck in a rut.

If Canada is a business, we just held the biggest team building exercise in history, and we let the world watch it unfold. How does one put a price tag on unbridled enthusiasm and uncharacteristic patriotism? How do you compare finances to pride?

We needed the party. We were ready for it and we, the people, made it what it was. According to the Black Cloud Gang, the Olympics was just a party for the elite. How laughably wrong they were... everyday people from coast to coast had a blast.

I submit that yes, the cost of the Olympics may hurt for a while but, if we let it, the legacy of the games can be a truly inspiring escape from the doldrums we've been in the last few decades.

I am Canadian.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Wow! Well said Nebula.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Nebula wrote:Just what we needed: another anti-games thread started by and perpetuated by Negative Nellies. As if we haven't had enough of them already, on top of the 'positive' threads hijacked by the Black Cloud Gang.

Yes, the party is over. Thank goodness we had it. We needed it. We were ripe for it. And although it was never planned that way, it came at the perfect time.

It must utterly suck to be one of the minority who is so hell bent on concentrating only on negative things. I submit the majority gained something from these games that will be very difficult to put a price tag on. And the majority knows it. They could feel it when the torch passed through their towns and they let that feeling in; they didn't push it away because they wanted to stay stuck in a rut.

If Canada is a business, we just held the biggest team building exercise in history, and we let the world watch it unfold. How does one put a price tag on unbridled enthusiasm and uncharacteristic patriotism? How do you compare finances to pride?

We needed the party. We were ready for it and we, the people, made it what it was. According to the Black Cloud Gang, the Olympics was just a party for the elite. How laughably wrong they were... everyday people from coast to coast had a blast.

I submit that yes, the cost of the Olympics may hurt for a while but, if we let it, the legacy of the games can be a truly inspiring escape from the doldrums we've been in the last few decades.

I am Canadian.

For your information, I am Canadian, too. I just don't expect you to pay for my fun every time I want to party.

Yes, it was a good party (I said that before).

Yes, there was a great show of patriotism. (Where was your Canadian pride before?)

Yes, the gold medals are wonderful. (and an expensive souvenir for some mighty highly paid athletes)

Yes, we sure did show the world what we're made of! (Did we just figure out what and who we are?)

Yes, it was great to see so much of our flag. (Mine flies here every day and it's not the one VANOC butchered to make it match the Olympic flag, either).

Yes, it was wonderful to see so many Canadians who don't know the words to their national anthem. (NOT)

Where the hell you been all your life that you had to spend $10B to figure out you are a proud Canadian? It's something I have always known.

mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

:rate10: to Nebula.

I especially like the part recognizing how so many of the positive threads were constantly hijacked. I have been trying to enjoy the forum but it sure is hard lol.

If I was so negative about life I'd either get my doctor to prescribe me something or I'd jump. What's the point of going on in such doom and gloom?

The Olympics were great. There will be some short term financial issues. Long term, we will reap the rewards.
Last edited by mountain_climber4567 on Mar 1st, 2010, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Canada LIne = approx 2 billion dollars

Sea to Sky Highway = approx 2 billion dollars

Vancouver 2010 Olympics = approx 6 billion dollars (according to whiner sector but remains to be seen)

Boost to Canadian's Image and Self Worth = "PRICELESS" :D
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Yes, well said Neb.

But that doesn't alter the fact that "The Party's Over" :-) Now it's time to put that behind us, and see what can be done to capitalize on the fact that we had it. Finances aside for a moment, I wonder if "we" truly have become better, more bonded, less selfish, more patient with, and understanding of, others, less greedy, and more patriotic as a people because of these Olympics and, if so, will it have the staying power hoped for?

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

Great gramma!! :rate10:

I do not need a 10B party to inspire my pride in being a CANADIAN.

But if that is what the prosters want, they got it. Now I wish there was some way THEY had to pay for it and leave us forever PROUD Canadians out of it.

As for costs and benefits? We will NEVER be told the absolute costs vs benefits by THIS government. EVER.
BTW - investments because of the Owelympics bringing investors here? They knew all about BC and Canada before they ever came to these games.
Chill
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

LoneWolf_53 wrote:Canada LIne = approx 2 billion dollars

Sea to Sky Highway = approx 2 billion dollars

Vancouver 2010 Olympics = approx 6 billion dollars (according to whiner sector but remains to be seen)

Boost to Canadian's Image and Self Worth = "PRICELESS" :D

Then YOU pay for the 'PRICELESS".
Chill
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

NAB wrote:But that doesn't alter the fact that "The Party's Over" :-) Now it's time to put that behind us,

No-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o!!

Why on this good Earth would be put it behind us? Why oh why? We were given an opportunity to express ourselves like we haven't done for decades. We, the people, created a tsunami of epic proportions. You might want to put it behind you, but I intend to ride the wave.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
mountain_climber4567
Board Meister

Post by mountain_climber4567 »

I find it funny that people who complain about pretty much everything say they have pride.

99% of everything in Canada is wrong and unfair :-({|=

...but I am proud to be a Canadian. :dyinglaughing:
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

flamingfingers wrote:As for costs and benefits? We will NEVER be told the absolute costs vs benefits by THIS government.

Of course a Black Cloud Gang member would say such a thing. Perhaps we should move this thread to Nefarious Plots.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

grammafreddy wrote:Where the hell you been all your life that you had to spend $10B to figure out you are a proud Canadian? It's something I have always known.

For all your bitching about what makes Canada great, you sure have a funny way of showing it.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”