The Party's Over

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Re: The Party's Over

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Ok, now I guess it's critically thinking smart negative pansies vs. brainwashed dumb patriots.

Actually, I refuse to secede to any one side. I'll keep thinking, thanks.

Critically, I hope?

That's why I'm still thinking Captain.
Last edited by steven lloyd on Mar 1st, 2010, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

NAB wrote:Interesting thought Neb that "If you can't comprehend what happened in the near past, there's no sense in trying to explain a potential future".

What exactly did happen that was apparently so over the top special in the global Olympic scheme of things? Olympics come and go every couple of years, and this one happened to be on our home turf.

Most of us (whether pro Olympics, neutral, or anti) can comprehend it came with a staggering cost at a very unfortunate time that must now be paid for (over time), ...so that part of the potential future is pretty much assured.

Anything else is pretty much speculation when it comes to the general masses IMO, although there may be some who had some sort of life changing epiphany in the pride and patriotism department. But that could only be because those individuals didn't have it in the first place. What some here are saying is these Olympics didn't generate that in them, because they already had it.

And although it may come as a surprise to some who cannot understand it, there is in fact a huge percentage of people, both domestically and globally, who actually have little or no interest in the Olympics at all. Seems to me it's not ALL about just those who do.

Nab

Very well pointed out. Just something to consider for those who are still thinking.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

We got back recently from a wonderful trip and in fact we've travelled overseas eleven times in the last five years and many times within Canada. We could be adding up the dollars and cents on our calculator and deciding to just stay home and save the money but we've gotten a lot of enjoyment, learning, and inspiration from our travels. And unlike our travels, the Olympics will actually have some economic benefits. Even if those benefits fall short of the money invested we still have the priceless things that will stay with us. Most of us anyway. We shouldn't apologize for inviting the world to Canada, watching extraordinary athletic events, and enjoying life. I am so glad that we hosted the Olympics and it's gratifying to see the latest polls reflecting a huge swing toward the positive! 86% of those polled in B.C. were excited about the Olympics and when's the last time you saw so many of us agree to that extent on anything??
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

steven lloyd wrote:Very well pointed out. Just something to consider for those who are still thinking.

See, it's that type of comment I have a problem with. You try to craftily insinuate that anyone on this thread who doesn't agree with you is not thinking. Bravo.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Urbane wrote: ..., the Olympics will actually have some economic benefits. Even if those benefits fall short of the money invested we still have the priceless things that will stay with us. Most of us anyway. We shouldn't apologize for inviting the world to Canada, watching extraordinary athletic events, and enjoying life. I am so glad that we hosted the Olympics and it's gratifying to see the latest polls reflecting a huge swing toward the positive! 86% of those polled in B.C. were excited about the Olympics and when's the last time you saw so many of us agree to that extent on anything??

That is well said and pointed out as well. Thanks Urbane.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Nebula wrote:
steven lloyd wrote:Very well pointed out. Just something to consider for those who are still thinking.

See, it's that type of comment I have a problem with. You try to craftily insinuate that anyone on this thread who doesn't agree with you is not thinking. Bravo.

Sorry I didn't respond to Urbane's post in time to give you another perspective.

Although I still suspend judgment on how great the economic benefit will be (and look to precedent to recognize the long-term burden most former Olympic games have placed on their hosts), I will acknowledge there are other benefits.
Last edited by steven lloyd on Mar 1st, 2010, 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Even this thread is a party. Who said it's over?
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

Captain Awesome wrote: Even this thread is a party. Who said it's over?

:130: <- pints of Canadian (Molson)
Last edited by steven lloyd on Mar 1st, 2010, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Andrew Coyne talks about all of this in the Macleans that arrived at our house today. It's worth a read but let me just give you his summation:

So yes, when Canadian athletes win Olympic glory, we are all entitled to cheer. It does have something to do with us. We have all, to a greater or lesser extent, taken part in that change of national temperament, and as such their achievement is, in whatever part, our achievement, a collaborative effort, a culture. I call it a culture of winning, but it's really a culture of excellence, a refusal to settle for second-best, and with any luck their example will spread into other areas of our national life. We don't have enough such examples. There aren't many things we make here that we make better than anyone else.

But those athletes were made here. They are what we have chosen to be. They are made of us, and are helping to make us in their turn.
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

I have an idea.

All those wanting to post positive thoughts, stay out of the negative threads.

All those wanting to post negative thoughts, stay out of the positive threads.

Works for me.
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

You haven't been around long, have you? What fun would that be?
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
Captain Awesome
Buddha of the Board

Post by Captain Awesome »

Tacklewasher wrote:I have an idea.

Works for me.

Better yet,

Let's put all negative people in another country (UK).
And give them all jobs separately from all positive people.

The Guardian sounds like a good outfit.
Sarcasm is like a good game of chess. Most people don't know how to play chess.
steven lloyd
Buddha of the Board

Post by steven lloyd »

I think if other posters here read more than just a few of my threads (like maybe more than just the ones that ticked them off) they would recognize that I haven’t just arbitrarily chosen to be exclusively anti-Olympic here. After a rough start I am proud of the job VANOC, and more importantly Canadians (locals, visitors and volunteers) did in pulling it off (even voted good job VANOC on that one thread). I am extremely proud of our athletes – even the ones who didn’t win medals – and I recognize what an emotional boost this can be for people. I’m not going to be negative about the whole thing. My concerns and criticisms come from a place of acknowledging reality. I may be wrong and there may be some flood of Olympic-generated revenue, but I realistically doubt it will anywhere near match what this has cost and suspect the benefits will be targeted among relatively small areas and groups. I would love to be wrong about this, but precedent tells me that is unlikely.
Last edited by steven lloyd on Mar 1st, 2010, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Tacklewasher wrote:I have an idea.

Works for me.

Excellent Idea. I thought that was the reason this thread was started in the first place.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Tacklewasher
Übergod

Post by Tacklewasher »

Nebula wrote:You haven't been around long, have you? What fun would that be?

Actually, I have. Just under a different name.

But I like this name better.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”