The Party's Over

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: The Party's Over

Post by Queen K »

MAPearce wrote:
Whatever the true impact of the games is, we will not really know for many years to come. I do know from my days in business, that nothing beats a good trade show, and what just occurred in Vancouver over the past two weeks was the greatest trade show on earth and it really could not have gone better for us

I'll say it again....The Party has just begun.I'm glad that people remember Expo 86.Did any one see the story about the Slovakian nordic team setting up a permanent training camp at Silver Star??
Gotta be worth some bucks to the locals!!!!

No question it is good for IntraWest, I believe they own Silver Star. I hope you are correct as there are reports that they may miss debt payments on huge loans. Don't get me wrong, Profits are Good. Provincial Budget day today, should prove interesting.
Last edited by Queen K on Mar 2nd, 2010, 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catz
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Catz »

Al Czervic wrote:I think is fairness you really needed to be in Vancouver in person to see and experience what was going on. Had I not observed first hand what was occurring down there, I don’t think I would have believed it. Nothing prepared for me it. And I don’t believe I will ever be quite the same again. And I don’t think I am alone in that sentiment.

At one point I was so overcome with emotion I wept. I wept for the first time in 16 years since I lost my wife. But I was not alone. Tears were everywhere. Complete strangers. People from Sweden who spoke little English. But over, and over, and over again I heard people saying “I will be back”

Whatever the true impact of the games is, we will not really know for many years to come. I do know from my days in business, that nothing beats a good trade show, and what just occurred in Vancouver over the past two weeks was the greatest trade show on earth and it really could not have gone better for us.

There will always be naysayers in life. People who say “I can’t” But there are also those who find ways to succeed. Those who see beyond “I can’t” and instead say “I can” We do live in the greatest country of them all and my trip has reminded me of that. Sometimes in life I think we forget to take a moment to enjoy and to be thankful. It is easy to get caught up in the moment.

The games were a huge success, and will be for many years to come. But success only finds those who believe. Opportunity will always be what you choose to make of it. If you cannot see that, than it was never there to be had. But for those who have vision and determination it will always be there. Some of you will understand what I am getting at, and I know some of you never have, and never will. For you, the games will no doubt be a failure, but I expect you knew that before they even began. To each his own.

:hailjo: :sunshine:

thank you
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

No question it is good for IntraWest, I believe they own Silver Star. I hope you are correct. Provincial Budget day today, should prove interesting.

Todays budget is going to be a "hurting"budget as per the Global tv morning news.2 billion deficit and only slow economic growth.I hope people won't blame the budget solely on the games as other sources of revenues have dried up,but these little tidbits of "good news" from the Olympics stretch from Silver Star to Victoria.BC Ferries added 22 extra sailings on the Olympic weekends to handle the overflow crowds coming to and from the Island.Thats huge for a traditionaly slow time of year for the ferry corp.I would love to know how much money on average each visitor spent.Gotta mean something to wait staff, gas stations, trinket stores,buskers and so on...BTW,the BC ferry corp announced a 2 million,third quarter loss..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Google "SilverStar IntraWest" and you'll see what I mean by potentially missing debt payments. And I see that IntraWest made a deal to keep Whistler alive.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

OK, so it seems we all pretty much agree that there are two general issues at work here. One has to do with vast amounts of money, and the other has to do with vast amounts of emotion. Further, that anything that has to do with money can be quantified (eventually, but accurately usually only in hindsight and using "numbers" from a source that is not biased and can be trusted), while anything that has to do with emotion cannot. It is "priceless".

So why then are those on both sides of the discussion trying to put a price on emotional issues ((they are very much a personal and individual thing anyway, as Al so eloquently (and emotionally) demonstrates))? Al equates his emotions to those associated with the loss of his wife, as I might too since we are both in a similar situation, and I too can tear up more easily these days, and particularly so when "my country" shows its sensitive and exposed side too.

....and even pricing emotional issues to the extent that those supporting the Olympic movement as it is currently structured constantly try to assert that the financial price paid in terms of money and/or lost versus accelerated services (and potential related improvements) that might have been is worth it (in their opinion) - so are in effect putting a price on something that they deem "priceless" anyway.

Sure the current economy will benefit from any and all exposure to the world. Only the degree to which it benefits, and over what period of time, remains to be seen even though I seriously doubt it can accurately be quantified, similar to the business principle of trying to put a value on advertising for cost budgeting and anticipated revenue purposes.

But one thing more I think we all should recognize. A benefit to the economy can be looked at in several ways, depending on "who" actually benefits (so it too can become a very individual thing in terms of opinion - feeding off the vibes of the crowd we are part of aside). What's more, a "benefit" to the economy can show up in at least two ways... whether it provides increased revenues and growth, or whether it simply impedes what might otherwise have been an even greater and speedier decline. Such is the typical double talk we get from economists, business folk, and government wrapped into one vague word - "benefit".

In a conversation yesterday evening, I caught a comment from someone who had to make an urgent personal trip to the mainland at the height of the Olympics, but that had nothing to do with them. The person spoke to a fear before she left that the Olympics may in some way impede the purpose and urgent timing associated with the trip. Then reported on return that there was no problem at all, as they were easily bypassed. In fact, said that had she been a stranger and not known the Olympics were going on, and was thankfully able to easily bypass downtown Vancouver, she would not even have been aware that they were happening.

...of course, anyone who was exposed to any area in "the thick of things", feeding off each others emotions and hype, might be more easily impressed. So I guess when someone supports their argument by saying "You had to be there to fully understand" that is true. Unfortunately the vast majority of us were not "there", and could pick and choose what we watched live (if anything) via TV or the internet.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

judging by the attitude of the British Columbia government , money is no object....... when a party is involved.....

the reality of the real world budget deficit,......only seems to kick in when the average person needs services ..............

it also seems, that the only thing that matters in British Columbia's is the lower mainland were the main population base is.............it is pretty hard to buy Gordo's sad story about how short money is in British Columbia after watching at two week multibillion-dollar party..........

I guess people are just stupid, and confused how liberal elite world actually works :200:
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

Take a chill pill grumpy. Although the budget will forecast a $1.7 billion deficit this year, overall government spending will increase this year, including $600 million more for healthcare than was spent last year.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Queen K wrote:
MAPearce wrote:
Whatever the true impact of the games is, we will not really know for many years to come. I do know from my days in business, that nothing beats a good trade show, and what just occurred in Vancouver over the past two weeks was the greatest trade show on earth and it really could not have gone better for us

I'll say it again....The Party has just begun.I'm glad that people remember Expo 86.Did any one see the story about the Slovakian nordic team setting up a permanent training camp at Silver Star??
Gotta be worth some bucks to the locals!!!!

No question it is good for IntraWest, I believe they own Silver Star. I hope you are correct as there are reports that they may miss debt payments on huge loans. Don't get me wrong, Profits are Good. Provincial Budget day today, should prove interesting.

IntraWest does not own Silver Star where did you get that from?

Silver Star is owned by the same company that owns Big White which is owned by Australian money as in Peter Schumann.
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
grumpydigger
Lord of the Board

Post by grumpydigger »

Nebula wrote:Take a chill pill grumpy. Although the budget will forecast a $1.7 billion deficit this year, overall government spending will increase this year, including $600 million more for healthcare than was spent last year.
we have heard the same story over and over again how they're increasing spending and how things are improving........and the liberal elite cheerleaders keep on believing what they're told.........Gordo has a way, like most powerful conmen and religious leaders , to lie directly to the people..........I wonder what will not be on his radar this time :dyinglaughing: without that $1.6 billion HST bail out Gordo would really kave to do some creative bookkeeping...........

I don't want to take a chill pill.......because I'm truly concerned how this government handles its finances.........................
Nebula
Buddha of the Board

Post by Nebula »

You're allowed to believe what you want, grumpy, even if it isn't based on fact.
You cannot reason someone out of a position that they did not use reason to arrive at.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Seems to me the fact is that in the recent past, continued, and projected economic environment increased spending adds to fiscal deficits, (along with declining revenues), and each annual fiscal deficit adds to long term public debt. Debt draws the magical additional cost of compounding interest which has to be added to the budget expenditure side and, if it goes on long enough, becomes an ever deepening hole that becomes impossible to dig out of.

Seems those who focus on short term fiscal deficit rather rather than on long term growing debt are just continuing the idea that we can still have it all now, ...while taking the risk that either our children will be well enough off to afford to pay more, or something yet unknown will magically produce a windfall to pay it down or pay it off.

Such is the sad burden of unbridled optimism based on ever increasing debt ;-)

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Queen K wrote:
Okay, he must know more than me too. But Jimmy P, a billionaire through ruthless tactics, .

Ruthless tactics? What? Shooting people in the head to take over their business is ruthless tactics. You can get to be a millionaire by being a nice guy, but there aren't any billionaires who are nice guys. That's just the way it is. But "ruthless tactics" is pretty melodramatic.
Liberty and Truth

Puffy wrote:
Al Czervic wrote:I think is fairness you really needed to be in Vancouver in person to see and experience what was going on. Had I not observed first hand what was occurring down there, I don’t think I would have believed it. Nothing prepared for me it. And I don’t believe I will ever be quite the same again. And I don’t think I am alone in that sentiment.

At one point I was so overcome with emotion I wept. I wept for the first time in 16 years since I lost my wife. But I was not alone. Tears were everywhere. Complete strangers. People from Sweden who spoke little English. But over, and over, and over again I heard people saying “I will be back”

Whatever the true impact of the games is, we will not really know for many years to come. I do know from my days in business, that nothing beats a good trade show, and what just occurred in Vancouver over the past two weeks was the greatest trade show on earth and it really could not have gone better for us.

There will always be naysayers in life. People who say “I can’t” But there are also those who find ways to succeed. Those who see beyond “I can’t” and instead say “I can” We do live in the greatest country of them all and my trip has reminded me of that. Sometimes in life I think we forget to take a moment to enjoy and to be thankful. It is easy to get caught up in the moment.

The games were a huge success, and will be for many years to come. But success only finds those who believe. Opportunity will always be what you choose to make of it. If you cannot see that, than it was never there to be had. But for those who have vision and determination it will always be there. Some of you will understand what I am getting at, and I know some of you never have, and never will. For you, the games will no doubt be a failure, but I expect you knew that before they even began. To each his own.

:hailjo: :sunshine:

thank you

Way to go Al. The people that weren't there can be forgiven a bit for not totally understanding how magical it was in Vancouver, but they should be able to use their imaginations, and I find it sad that they aren't even trying. This whole fixation on "paying" for things when we don't even know the bill yet is just sad and demonstrates a small-mindedness that I am glad, according to polls, only resides in a small minority of our population (THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT). Thanks for that Al - that was a very inspiring post.
Liberty and Truth

grumpydigger wrote:
Nebula wrote:Take a chill pill grumpy. Although the budget will forecast a $1.7 billion deficit this year, overall government spending will increase this year, including $600 million more for healthcare than was spent last year.
we have heard the same story over and over again how they're increasing spending and how things are improving........and the liberal elite cheerleaders keep on believing what they're told.........Gordo has a way, like most powerful conmen and religious leaders , to lie directly to the people..........I wonder what will not be on his radar this time :dyinglaughing: without that $1.6 billion HST bail out Gordo would really kave to do some creative bookkeeping...........

I don't want to take a chill pill.......because I'm truly concerned how this government handles its finances.........................

whenever I see someone use the term "liberal elite" in a sentence I just hear "nutjob" and move on. This is such an over-used and moronic phrase - if you truly believe, with the high taxes we pay in BC, and in Canada overall, that the "liberal elite" are still the only ones benefiting from Canadian prosperity, then you truly have an extremely tiny grasp on reality. But hey - that's the beauty of democracy, as Pierre Macguire said when Christian Erhoff predicted that the Russians were going to beat Canada in hockey, "everyone is entitled to their opinion, even if they are dead wrong". :)
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

grumpydigger wrote:

Oh Grumpy? Do you realize that the 2010 Olympic bid was actually an NDP idea? I honestly think that Gordo and his band of merry thieves made the best out of something they inherited.Despite the economy tanking.
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”