I KNEW it!!!

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
Al Czervic
Guru

Re: I KNEW it!!!

Post by Al Czervic »

NAB wrote:
Surely Al you are not trying to make a case that those extra flights starting in June have anything to do with being a benefit of the oilympics? Those were in the cards long ago, and for a variety of non-olympic related reasons as the article points out.

Edit to add: It is interesting however that it is Air China that is adding the flights, not a Canadian Airline.

Nab

What I am pointing out is that there are more flights coming into Vancouver and I believe that the exposure from the Olympics will help to fill those flights. That is all. You are quite correct these flights were in the cards prior too however you will also note the release date of late February expressly to help capitalize on the timing of the games and tourism.
Back with a vengeance
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Al Czervic wrote:
NAB wrote:
Surely Al you are not trying to make a case that those extra flights starting in June have anything to do with being a benefit of the oilympics? Those were in the cards long ago, and for a variety of non-olympic related reasons as the article points out.

Edit to add: It is interesting however that it is Air China that is adding the flights, not a Canadian Airline.

Nab

What I am pointing out is that there are more flights coming into Vancouver and I believe that the exposure from the Olympics will help to fill those flights. That is all. You are quite correct these flights were in the cards prior too however you will also note the release date of late February expressly to help capitalize on the timing of the games and tourism.

Darned opportunistic Chinese capitalists! LOL ;-) More profits for them :127:

On another note, I ponder where the money goes that Chinese "tourists" will spend, even if the Olympics may in some small way contribute to increased tourism. For the most part to businesses obviously, but it remains to be seen how much of that filters through as revenues to government to help offset Olympics costs. I think this is a particularly troubling question when I read this morning that apparently part of the Liberal agenda was to reduce the tax take from small business to ZERO! Wok the heck is with that????

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

That whole spotlight on Vancouver thing just keeps paying dividends.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/winte ... tters.html
Find something to give a damn about!
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
Cateyes wrote:
Oy vey. They have oil and we don't. Is it really so hard to understand?

:dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

*personal attack removed* ferri

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/K ... story.html

Not only does BC have oil and gas, we've got mining, something Alberta doesn't. Mining generates billions of dollars for BC's economy. Is it really so hard to understand?? *personal attack removed* ferri

Apparently it is hard to understand for you. Figure out how much money oil production in Alta produces vs how much all our mining + oil + gas + whatever you can dream up...how about tourism. Throw in fishing. Let's see. How about logging too. Add all that up and maybe multiply by 10 and you are approaching what Alberta makes from oil.
Al Czervic
Guru

Post by Al Czervic »

NAB wrote:
Darned opportunistic Chinese capitalists! LOL ;-) More profits for them :127:

On another note, I ponder where the money goes that Chinese "tourists" will spend, even if the Olympics may in some small way contribute to increased tourism. For the most part to businesses obviously, but it remains to be seen how much of that filters through as revenues to government to help offset Olympics costs. I think this is a particularly troubling question when I read this morning that apparently part of the Liberal agenda was to reduce the tax take from small business to ZERO! Wok the heck is with that????

Nab

I know you will hate my saying this but this is one of the many reasons why I like the HST. As you may have heard VISA alone charged up $ 100 MILLION in receipts from cardholders to BC merchants during the games. Now there is no question some of those charges would have gone to retail goods and as such we as a Province got some PST revenue off of that, however every one of those charges that was in a restaurant, bar, pub or lounge (they were all packed duirng the games) we in B.C. next to nothing from a sales tax perspective.

This is why I like the HST. Under the HST all of those restaurant, bar, lounge and pub receipts would also be fairly contributing to our provincial coffers via the HST to help pay for our health care costs (as the HST apparently now stands for the Healthcare Sales tax – lol) at any rate you see my point that the HST will provide more tax dollars to support our BC social services. This is of course why the tourism industry is up in arms over it.

At any rate getting back on topic for all kinds of reasons “automobile- less” vacations are becoming more and more popular. With the Canada Line taking you right down to one of the most beautiful, vibrant and diverse waterfront cities in North America we will no doubt see an increase in tourists (especially Chinese one’s as many do not drive in the first place), not to mention in increased convention business as well courtesy of the new world class convention center. Naturally both will increase tourism opportunities and that will generate more HST that help our BC economy no matter where you happen to live.

I realize the naysayers will not understand this one iota but I see a very positive future relationship between the Canada Line, The Convention Center and HST combined to help our BC economy. But again, that is just me.
Back with a vengeance
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Al Czervic wrote:
Cateyes wrote:Boy,

I especially liked how the politicans tried to cherry coat it. Like suddenly all this new business will start flowing in because someone saw a snowboarder do a flip on TV on a ski hill with helicoptered in snow against a majestic mud backdrop.

Air China announced announces they are increasing Flights to Vancouver adding THREE more non-stop flights a week starting in June. the rest of the article can be viewed here....

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2010-02/25/c_13187678.htm

:smt017
Liberty and Truth

Post by Liberty and Truth »

Cateyes wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:
Cateyes wrote:
Oy vey. They have oil and we don't. Is it really so hard to understand?

:dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing: :dyinglaughing:

*personal attack removed* ferri

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/K ... story.html

Not only does BC have oil and gas, we've got mining, something Alberta doesn't. Mining generates billions of dollars for BC's economy. Is it really so hard to understand?? *personal attack removed* ferri

Apparently it is hard to understand for you. Figure out how much money oil production in Alta produces vs how much all our mining + oil + gas + whatever you can dream up...how about tourism. Throw in fishing. Let's see. How about logging too. Add all that up and maybe multiply by 10 and you are approaching what Alberta makes from oil.

really - and I'm sure you can back that up with numbers right? Considering you were dead wrong about ice dancing at the 1976 Olympics, and dead wrong about BC not having oil and gas revenue, there is no way you can be trusted to be truthful on anything. If you are even close to the truth - don't you think that maybe it's a sad statement on the regimes that have been in charge in BC in the past that our mining revenues aren't as high as Alberta's oil and gas revenues? Our resources are plentiful, and yes, while low commodity prices caused some mining shut downs in the late 90's, what was even more damaging to the mining industry was the insane regulatory environment brought in by the NDP that forced capital in this province to run for the hills. I am tired of weak-minded pinheads crying about how Alberta has so much more than us - they don't - they've just made sure that they've not bit the hand that feeds them, something we here all could learn from. But then again, given how many weak-minded pinheads reside in this province, I don't hold out much hope we'll ever learn anything.
Last edited by Liberty and Truth on Mar 3rd, 2010, 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Liberty and Truth

NAB wrote:Edit to add: It is interesting however that it is Air China that is adding the flights, not a Canadian Airline.

Nab

NAB - given you probably haven't been involved in the airline industry, your ignorance on this topic can be forgiven. Rest assured, if Canadian airlines could add more flights to Asia out of Vancouver, they would add them in a heartbeat - and the Air Canada CEO would give up both his right and left arms to get them. It's not so simple as just buying another plane and "adding flights" - you need a place to land your plane, drop off your passengers, and pick up your new ones. In Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Beijing, you can't just land a plane and dump off your passengers. You need a gate slot. And those are worth their weight in platinum and gold, and given how valuable they are, they are going to be reserved mostly for Chinese and Japanese airlines. The number one reason Air Canada was all over the carcass of Canadian Airlines before anyone else could grab it was because the only thing Canadian had of any value was slots in Asian airports. Now for Chinese airlines coming here - not so big a deal - their government is going to make sure they get the lucrative slots in their country, and they just need to find a slot in Vancouver to unload their passengers, and the Vancouver airport has plenty of available "slots" - or will push out other smaller guys to make gates available for the big planes that pay the big landing fees and AIF's. So anyway - like I said - you can't really criticize or make hay out of this in a negative way - this IS A GOOD THING - obviously the Chinese are seeing increased volume to Canada to dedicate more gate slots to planes coming here, and potentially the Olympics had something to do with that - who knows - I personally think this is just a sign that the world economy is rebounding, and rebounding a lot faster than a lot of people thought.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
NAB wrote:Edit to add: It is interesting however that it is Air China that is adding the flights, not a Canadian Airline.

Nab

NAB - given you probably haven't been involved in the airline industry, your ignorance on this topic can be forgiven. Rest assured, if Canadian airlines could add more flights to Asia out of Vancouver, they would add them in a heartbeat - and the Air Canada CEO would give up both his right and left arms to get them. It's not so simple as just buying another plane and "adding flights" - you need a place to land your plane, drop off your passengers, and pick up your new ones. In Hong Kong, Tokyo, and Beijing, you can't just land a plane and dump off your passengers. You need a gate slot. And those are worth their weight in platinum and gold. The number one reason Air Canada was all over the carcass of Canadian Airlines before anyone else could grab it was because the only thing Canadian had of any value was slots in Asian airports. Now for Chinese airlines coming here - not so big a deal - Vancouver airport has plenty of available "slots" - or will push out other smaller guys to make gates available for the big planes that pay the big landing fees and AIF's. So anyway - like I said - you can't really criticize or make hay out of this in a negative way - this IS A GOOD THING - obviously the Chinese are seeing increased volume to Canada, and potentially the Olympics had something to do with that - who knows - I personally think this is just a sign that the world economy is rebounding, and rebounding a lot faster than a lot of people thought.

ya know L & T, for a guy who dropped a compliment in another of your posts regarding the level of civility being good in that thread, you sure seem to have a lot of problems with it yourself.

Nab
"He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still." - Lao-Tzu
Liberty and Truth

NAB wrote:
ya know L & T, for a guy who dropped a compliment in another of your posts regarding the level of civility being good in that thread, you sure seem to have a lot of problems with it yourself.

Nab

ah...I was being extremely civil...what are you even talking about? Sensitive much? Read the post again? Hello? Given you were trying to put a negative spin on an extremely positive event - ie more flights to Vancouver being added from Asia - I was just giving you the background as to why Canadian airlines can't just "add flights to China" - hello?? That was uncalled for NAB.
NAB
Buddha of the Board

Post by NAB »

Liberty and Truth wrote:
NAB wrote:

Nab

ah...I was being extremely civil...what are you even talking about? Sensitive much? Read the post again? Hello? Given you were trying to put a negative spin on an extremely positive event - ie more flights to Vancouver being added from Asia - I was just giving you the background as to why Canadian airlines can't just "add flights to China" - hello?? That was uncalled for NAB.

No it wasn't, you arbitrarily ASSumed my "ignorance" about such matters, which I can assure you is not the case but I feel no personal need to expand on that. As for putting a "negative spin" on what you deem "an extremely positive event", cummon, that's a bit melodramatic isn't it?

I think I need to go out for some fresh air and sunshine.

C U Later...
Liberty and Truth

NAB wrote:
Liberty and Truth wrote:
NAB wrote:

Nab

No it wasn't, you arbitrarily ASSumed my "ignorance" about such matters, which I can assure you is not the case but I feel no personal need to expand on that. As for putting a "negative spin" on what you deem "an extremely positive event", cummon, that's a bit melodramatic isn't it?

I think I need to go out for some fresh air and sunshine.

C U Later...

I didn't assume your ignorance - it's actually quite clear in this case. Anyone saying "it's interesting its the Chinese airlines adding the flights and not a Canadian airline" simply doesn't understand how the business works. That's it. Was just out in the sunshine actually - but plan on going back out again. How about we both just stick to what we know and we'll keep out of each other's hair - and you don't know the airline business - sorry.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”