The emergent church

Is there a god? What is the meaning of life?
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

The emergent church

Post by binky11 »

I am hard pressed to find a Christian church in Kelowna that hasn't gone emergent, or is at least on it's way. Emerging churches are communities that practice the way of Jesus in post modern cultures and believes that there is more than one way to heaven. There is much more to this movement, but I would like to hear from any Christian who is aware of what this movement is all about, has maybe recognized it happening in their church (because most don't), and maybe get your views and thoughts. In my opinion the majority of Christian churches have or are going emergent, and to me, this should be a great concern to the Christian. It is very subtle in some churches while some outright claim to being emergent.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Re: The emergent church

Post by Mr Danksworth »

So...are you looking for a church that is less liberal in it's views?
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

It's not about being liberal . It's just about wanting to attend a church that preaches there is only one way to heaven rather than preaching what the people want to hear. But thats just a drop in the bucket as to what this movement is doing and teaching. It's about so many being deceived at the end times as the bible says. I am looking for a church that practices & preaches that there is not more than one way to heaven, and doesn't preach just want the people want to hear. A church that is refusing to go emergent, that does not believe in it's teachings. Unfortunatley, a lot of Christians do not even know what this emergent church movement is even about, and because of it, is not aware it is even happening in their churches as it initially moves in very subtle. Willow Park for example is not trying to hide the fact they have gone emergent and unforunatley even some Christians do not think it is all a bad thing, because they are being preached what they want to hear, which is a big part of this. There is a ton of info online for those Christians that do not know much about it, but may be concerned that their church is involved. But unless you know your bible and know about this movement, it's just not concerning many Christians it appears.
I am looking for those to respond that do know something about it and maybe have some thoughts and views they could share, those not afraid to speak up in Jesus name.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

The Kamloops Islamic Association (KIA) now have a mosque in Knutsford, near Kamloops, that may be worth consideration? They have all the regressive qualities that you appear to be yearning for, and limited(very) modes of entry into heaven. Isa ibn Maryam's(Jesus, son of Mary) role is slightly less significant than that of Christian dogma, but the heaven part at the end is quite similar, albeit with more virgins available for some of the male attendees*.
AYESHA MOSQUE, 2805 HIGHWAY 5A SOUTH, KAMLOOPS (KNUTSFORD) [email protected]

*'Special' Earthly duties normally required. See Koran for details.
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

I have a really hard time thinking that you can't find a church that is fundamentalist enough for you, this town is full of them. Have you tried Victory Life? They had a surprise public flogging of jesus last easter...is that hardcore enough for you? Maybe you can stop one of the abortion protestors outside the hospital and ask which church they belong to. Or you can go to the local LGBT association and find out which of the local churches give them the most grief, that should be a good indicator of the kind of church you are looking for.
Nothing on the Internet is so serious it can't be laughed at, and nothing is as laughable as people who think otherwise.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

You obviously do not know a thing about the emergent church. Please have the maturity not to reply if you are ignorant on the subject, your mockings just make you look silly. This obviously isn't a thread for you, I asked that anyone with knowledge on this subject to please reply, I expected this might happen, I will in the future choose to ignore replies of those ignorant on the subject unless they show genuine interest.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

binky11 wrote:You obviously do not know a thing about the emergent church. Please have the maturity not to reply if you are ignorant on the subject, your mockings just make you look silly. This obviously isn't a thread for you, I asked that anyone with knowledge on this subject to please reply, I expected this might happen, I will in the future choose to ignore replies of those ignorant on the subject unless they show genuine interest.

It appears to me that you are the one with the lack of understanding about the Emergent or Emergence church movement, which after all is why you started the thread. You have absolutely no way of knowing the extent of knowledge on the subject that the respondents harbour--despite the fact that they offered suitable and wholly viable solutions, which kind of demonstrates an understanding; does it not? :127: Have you heard of Conversation, and I'm not talking about conversation? Your OP clearly outlined your concerns with eschatology and soteriology, and we have provided you with viable alternatives from which you may benefit. Why would you choose to be so dismissive?

It is a pity that you view our constructive and objective help as mockery, and silly! Frankly, that leads me to believe that you are quick to rush to judgement and highly intollerant, and that the help you require has since become more of an internal issue. I hope you find a suitable coping measure.

Post script: I am not afraid to "speak up in Jesus' name".
dogman
Fledgling

Post by dogman »

I have heard of this going on in some churches.I am curious what it is that Willow park church is teaching people?What other ways do they say there are to Heaven?

2nd Peter 1/16-2/2 ( figure you probably know this but it's for others)Peter speaking here.--We did not follow cleverly invented stories when we told you about the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ,but we were eyewitnesses of his majesty.For he received honor and glory from God,saying "This is my son,whom I love; with him I am well pleased."We ourselves heard this voice that came from heaven when we were with him on the sacred mountain.
And we have the word of the prophets made more certain,and you will do well to pay attention to it,as to light shinning in darkness and the morning star rises in your hearts.Above all,you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophets's own interpretation.For prophecy never had it's origin in the will of God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.
But there were also false prophets among the people,just as there will be false teachers among you.They will secretly introduce destructive heresies,even denying the sovereign Lord who bought them-bringing swift destruction on themselves.Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute.

Matthew 7/13 "Enter through the narrow gate.For wide is the gate and broad is the road to destruction,and many enter through it.But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life,and only a few find it.
Watch out for false prophets.They come to you in sheep's clothing,but inwardly they are ferocious wolves.

When people deviate from the word of God and start teaching the things of Man's own heart.You will not experience all that God has to offer you.Many become the nut jobs that Danksworth likes to highlight.

Stay the coarse Binky
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Born Again......... No I do not have a complete understanding of the emergent church, that is why I started this thread. Also I consider myself to be a rather fundamental Christian which means I believe in "The Bible" and what it says, that there is only one way to get to heaven. The muslims also have their believe that there is only one way to get to heaven but it does not mean I want to become a muslim, as I do not believe in their beliefs. I am not trying to knock anyones religious beliefs here, everyone is entitled to believe what they want. What I am looking for is people who are knowledgable in the ways of the emerging church and what they think of how this is spreading into the churches today.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

I have heard of this going on in some churches.I am curious what it is that Willow park church is teaching people? What other ways do they say there are to Heaven?

I probably should not mention any specific churches, I can only say that that church has gone emergent, and "most" emergent churches teaches that there are many ways to heaven. Works, faith ect. No more are some of these churches preaches that the road is narrow. They are preaching what the people want to hear, and not the truth.
I have done some research on many of the local Christian churches and I see for example some are doing bible studies on Brian McClaren's new book " A New Kind of Christian" well that counts me out.
For anyone wanting to know what this emergent chuch is all about, the internet is full of informative info, but takes some time to research yes. Most Christians are sitting in their Christian churches and do not even have a clue about emergent churches and are not aware that the likelyhood of their church being one or becoming one is high. Firstly because it comes in very subtle, and also some won't recognize the signs as they are not looking, and thirdly some don't care. I for one do care and am simply wanting to know if there are others out their with the same concern.
I'm simply looking for a Christian church that is not implementing this movement and I am having a hard time finding one.
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

binky11 wrote: Also I consider myself to be a rather fundamental Christian which means I believe in "The Bible" and what it says, that there is only one way to get to heaven. The muslims also have their believe that there is only one way to get to heaven but it does not mean I want to become a muslim, as I do not believe in their beliefs.

One way to get to heaven.
ONE WAY TO GET TO HEAVEN.
Let's not lose sight of the ultimate reason why you showed concern about infiltration of 'divergent' and 'emergent' into churches[Christian]. If I may be so crude, your disdain is with the concept that these post-modern(liberal?) movements are offering back door and side door access to heaven, and you feel that this is demeaning and contrary to the values and 'code of conduct' set forth in the Holy Bible.
This is where I truly sympathise with you. I mean: it's analogous to me embracing FSMism because of my empathy with the founding message and principles, only to find out that just 3 years after my allegiance and commitment to Pastafarianism, that Oryza-sativaians are all-of-a-sudden allowed to sup upon the Beer Volcano and sample the products of the "Factory" in FSM Heaven!!! This is an abominable notion to me, especially after a lifetime of strict(ish) devotion to A Carbo Salus in my carbo diem.

Now, this is why I offered, for your consideration, Islam. Islam is patently far less tolerant of the fractal nature such as that inherent in Christian dogma, and has truly demonstrated that it's strict adherence to the "one true path to heaven" is more-than commendable. It has no grey areas that are open to detractors interpretation. As dogman warned: " Watch out for false prophets.They come to you in sheep's clothing,but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." They may be closer to you than you would have imagined!! I did this out of rational compassion, based on the priorities that you described, i.e. "that there is only one way to get to heaven". Need I ask you if this is your ultimate goal? No, of course not. If you are concerned that the bus you are riding to heaven on may get a flat before you get there--take another bus; preferably one that has tyres less prone to puncture!

Good luck on your journey.
binky11
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by binky11 »

Now, this is why I offered, for your consideration, Islam

Thanks, but no thanks, I believe in "the bible" and only in what the bible says. That's my belief and I'm sticking to it. I was looking for Christian churches.
unclemarty
Board Meister

Post by unclemarty »

Change Bus? Or ... just get off the bus and start walking.

Sure that might be a little less comfortable, walking in the heat and dust, compared to the luxury provided by the big power steering, air conditioned church coach - driven wide open throttle by that charismatic slick dude heading straight for the edge of a cliff.
"Jerusalem is a port city on the shore of eternity." - Yehuda Amichai
Born_again
Guru

Post by Born_again »

Fair enough, Binky, and I hope you make the right choice in which path of the multiple paths to take. :skyisfalling:
Mr Danksworth
Lord of the Board

Post by Mr Danksworth »

Have fun shopping for your brand. Look at them all! There should be one out there for you.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&client ... 78342&z=11

Last edited by Mr Danksworth on Mar 8th, 2010, 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Religion & Spirituality”