Are they really Athletes?

All things Olympic, be it the games themselves, economic impact, political comments, rants, raves . . . anything and everything Olympian goes here.
BoB76
Guru

Are they really Athletes?

Post by BoB76 »

So I was wondering today about the people in the paralympics and think it is crazy. Are they really athletes being as there aren't many of them who attempt to qualify? Does it seem fair that the "athlete" with a missing arm is competing with one with a missing leg? None of it seems fair to me. Put them on fair grounds and then we'll talk. I think it is just pitty olympics...... Kinda like an ugly person in a bar who needs a little attention......well this is their two weeks.
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Are they really Athletes?

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Just wait until the cyberspace political correctness enforcement agency gets a load of this. :dyinglaughing:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Olympics are over. Nobody cares about the paralympics. You won't read about it or see it on TV.

All you will hear about is easily offended people running around with ginormous sticks up their butts like morality police.

Not the athletes themselves mind you. Yes it's kind of a pitty party but you don't hear the athletes looking for pitty.
Find something to give a damn about!
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Interesting comments..........now I am sure that I saw a lot of televised things this weekend from the paralympics
LoneWolf_53
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LoneWolf_53 »

Bubalouie wrote:Interesting comments..........now I am sure that I saw a lot of televised things this weekend from the paralympics

What???????????????

Are you accusing Cateyes of being wrong?

But how can this be? :dyinglaughing:
"Death is life's way of saying you're fired!"
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

BoB76 wrote:So I was wondering today about the people in the paralympics and think it is crazy. Are they really athletes being as there aren't many of them who attempt to qualify? Does it seem fair that the "athlete" with a missing arm is competing with one with a missing leg? None of it seems fair to me. Put them on fair grounds and then we'll talk. I think it is just pitty olympics...... Kinda like an ugly person in a bar who needs a little attention......well this is their two weeks.

Just because these (yes) athletes cannot compete like the people in the regular Olympics because they are disabled through birth, or by accident, does not mean that they don't enjoy sports, or the competition.
They have dreams too, and who are we, as so called able bodied people, to judge what they do, and enjoy? If they didn't think it fair, then they would choose not to participate.

And I am sorry for the many people who think like you do that these are the "pity Olympics". :200: I don't think they believe that. It is a great opportunity for them to do what they love.

Most of these athletes have had to give up on so many of their dreams in life already. And for others to belittle their efforts to actually achieve something, whether or not they win medals, is the height of arrogance and ignorance.
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

:rate10:
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:
BoB76 wrote:So I was wondering today about the people in the paralympics and think it is crazy. Are they really athletes being as there aren't many of them who attempt to qualify? Does it seem fair that the "athlete" with a missing arm is competing with one with a missing leg? None of it seems fair to me. Put them on fair grounds and then we'll talk. I think it is just pitty olympics...... Kinda like an ugly person in a bar who needs a little attention......well this is their two weeks.

Just because these (yes) athletes cannot compete like the people in the regular Olympics because they are disabled through birth, or by accident, does not mean that they don't enjoy sports, or the competition.
They have dreams too, and who are we, as so called able bodied people, to judge what they do, and enjoy? If they didn't think it fair, then they would choose not to participate.

And I am sorry for the many people who think like you do that these are the "pity Olympics". :200: I don't think they believe that. It is a great opportunity for them to do what they love.

Most of these athletes have had to give up on so many of their dreams in life already. And for others to belittle their efforts to actually achieve something, whether or not they win medals, is the height of arrogance and ignorance.

There were very few who tried to qualify even leaving what I wonder is actual quality "athletes."
You can't fix stupid........BUT you can dress them up and over pay them to teach your kids!
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:

Yawn.......
CountryAtHeart
Lord of the Board

Post by CountryAtHeart »

Yes, it can be such a bore for those unaffected by such nonsense as a disabled person being able to pursue a dream. :127:
Cateyes
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Cateyes »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:Yes, it can be such a bore for those unaffected by such nonsense as a disabled person being able to pursue a dream. :127:

:coffeecanuck:
BoB76
Guru

Post by BoB76 »

Elektrik_Sky wrote:Yes, it can be such a bore for those unaffected by such nonsense as a disabled person being able to pursue a dream. :127:

You are absolutely correct. Who really cares? I don't care about people's dreams. I care about money and money doesn't care about feelings.
grammafreddy
Chief Sh*t Disturber

Post by grammafreddy »

Just like the regular Owelimpics, I don't care if they have them or not - just don't do it with the taxpayers' dollars.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
We are a generation of idiots - smart phones and dumb people.

You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.

Return to “2010 Winter Olympic Games”