Good Dentist?

Health, well-being, medicine, aging.
Joe Public
Generalissimo Postalot

Good Dentist?

Post by Joe Public »

Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good dentist in kelowna?

Thanks.
angel23
Board Meister

Re: Good Dentist

Post by angel23 »

what we need are ones that we can afford . Right now you pretty much need a loan to go see a dentist, why do we get covered on medical but not dental ?
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Good Dentist

Post by gardengirl »

angel23 wrote:what we need are ones that we can afford . Right now you pretty much need a loan to go see a dentist, why do we get covered on medical but not dental ?

You must be new to BC. To my knowledge, BC Medical has never covered dental work.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Good Dentist, Bad Dentist

Post by rekabis »

I have had particular success with two dentists:

Dr. MacRae worked (apprenticeshipped?) under Todd Penkala. While their personalities and techniques are very different, I consider both of them to be dentists of the highest calibre.

The only downside is that both of them prefer to work with the newer white fillings. With teeth as soft as mine, however, white fillings pop out within three to six months on a frighteningly regular schedule. Most of my fillings are amalgam because that's the only thing which stays put for more than a year or two.

@angel23 - unfortunately, most dentists charge about the same. I don't yet know of a system which can provide a competitive environment for those without coverage, and yet be fair to those with coverage. Any highly competitive environment with wildly differing prices would cause coverage to be denied based on the dentist. Those who would want to use a particular dentist would then be denied simply because he charged too much. Either that, or if their coverage had a dollar cap they wouldn't be able to do anywhere near as much dental work with their preferred dentist than if they went to a cheaper, less skilled dentist.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Good Dentist?

Post by gardengirl »

Joe Public wrote:Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good dentist in kelowna?

Thanks.

There are many excellent Dentists in town. What are you looking for?
There are some clinics which cater more to families and small children, there are also some which have geared their practices more to aesthetics.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

rekabis wrote:I have had particular success with two dentists:

Dr. MacRae worked (apprenticeshipped?) under Todd Penkala. While their personalities and techniques are very different, I consider both of them to be dentists of the highest calibre.

The only downside is that both of them prefer to work with the newer white fillings. With teeth as soft as mine, however, white fillings pop out within three to six months on a frighteningly regular schedule. Most of my fillings are amalgam because that's the only thing which stays put for more than a year or two.

@angel23 - unfortunately, most dentists charge about the same. I don't yet know of a system which can provide a competitive environment for those without coverage, and yet be fair to those with coverage. Any highly competitive environment with wildly differing prices would cause coverage to be denied based on the dentist. Those who would want to use a particular dentist would then be denied simply because he charged too much. Either that, or if their coverage had a dollar cap they wouldn't be able to do anywhere near as much dental work with their preferred dentist than if they went to a cheaper, less skilled dentist.

Do you mean Darcy Mc Rae?
rekabis
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by rekabis »

gardengirl wrote:Do you mean Darcy Mc Rae?

Just re-checked it. No, it’s Don MacRae. Not Dan or Darcy. About six foot, build like a linebacker, really loud and garrulous (I would also say overwhelming and intense) yet with a very friendly personality. He’s always happy to answer any questions, but sometimes it can be difficult to get a word in edgewise, even for an outgoing and forward personality like mine. You can’t be a shy shrinking violet with him, otherwise he’ll just dominate the whole conversation. That’s just the way he is.
I am a simple man. My complexity evolves from multitudes.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Ah Don, I thought Dan didn't sound right.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Post by flamingfingers »

rekabis wrote:
gardengirl wrote:Do you mean Darcy Mc Rae?

Just re-checked it. No, it’s Don MacRae. Not Dan or Darcy. About six foot, build like a linebacker, really loud and garrulous (I would also say overwhelming and intense) yet with a very friendly personality. He’s always happy to answer any questions, but sometimes it can be difficult to get a word in edgewise, even for an outgoing and forward personality like mine. You can’t be a shy shrinking violet with him, otherwise he’ll just dominate the whole conversation. That’s just the way he is.

Umm.. how do you converse with a dentist during your appointment? Like ventriloquism?
Chill
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

how are the dental hygienist at creekside dental? in particular, how "gentle" are they while doing that cleaning thaaaang?

and what sort of cost is it for sedation
--general anesthetia
--Enteral Sedation
--IV sedation
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Logitack wrote:how are the dental hygienist at creekside dental? in particular, how "gentle" are they while doing that cleaning thaaaang?

and what sort of cost is it for sedation
--general anesthetia
--Enteral Sedation
--IV sedation

Why on earth would you consider general anaesthesia or iv sedation for a cleaning?!
I have never heard of ANYONE having that.

For people who have anxiety issues, there is Ativan. It is a sublingual tablet which is very effective for most people. Some offices also offer Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen (laughing gas).
These things should look after the anxiety and you can also have local anaesthetic (freezing) if you are partiularly sensitive.
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

gardengirl wrote:
Why on earth would you consider general anaesthesia or iv sedation for a cleaning?!

For people who have anxiety issues, there is Ativan. It is a sublingual tablet which is very effective for most people. Some offices also offer Nitrous Oxide/Oxygen (laughing gas).
These things should look after the anxiety and you can also have local anaesthetic (freezing) if you are partiularly sensitive.

Depends on whether you've had a traumatic experience or not, I guess. I'm okay for a cleaning provided that the dentist knows that: I've had bad experiences, am a reflex biter (need a bite block) and does not make sudden moves (they're never the same once you bite them :()

For anything other than cleaning, well. Next time I will go with anaesthesia. I'd had ativan and the gas, and still whimpered and cried and clung to my husband's hand the entire time I was having my fillings replaced . . .

When I was 14 I had 4 molars removed by a dentist to "make room for my wisdom teeth". I'm one of the small percentage of population with two nerves in each of my major teeth. The dentist didn't believe me when I told him I could still feel it . . . he pulled them anyway. *shudders*
I haven't failed until I quit.
Logitack
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Logitack »

gardengirl wrote:

i was asking about these sedation methods when cavities are being filled, not for cleaning....although when the hygienist cleans she will poke and scrape below the gum line....and well..........OOOOOOOOOOUCH....hahaha

ETA, 95% of the cavities that were repaired, i felt EVERY one of them! *shudders*
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Post by gardengirl »

Logitack wrote:
gardengirl wrote:

i was asking about these sedation methods when cavities are being filled, not for cleaning....although when the hygienist cleans she will poke and scrape below the gum line....and well..........OOOOOOOOOOUCH....hahaha

ETA, 95% of the cavities that were repaired, i felt EVERY one of them! *shudders*

There are different types of local anaesthetics available. Some people have a more difficult time than others. There is also a wide range of what people perceive as "pain". If you have been anaesthetized, it does not mean that you will feel nothing. You will most likely feel pressure, vibration, things like that. These sensations are completely normal and to be expected. These sensations are not actually a pain response.

I would never consider general anaesthesia for dental work. This needs to be done in a hospital setting with very qualified people. You are entirely dependent on the anaesthetist and the equipment to keep breathing.

They put you out initially, often with an iv or gas. Next they put a tube (approximately 12" long) up your nose and down into your throat. Next, they shove about 6feet of 2" wide gauze down your throat to prevent anything from choking you. They can't ask you to open, so they use a clamp with a ratchet to keep you from closing your mouth.

You cannot respond in any way, so they just go ahead and do the work as quickly as they can.
They move you wherever they need to, stretch you open as much as they need, and do the most work they can within the time they have.

Once the work is done they ship you off to recovery. Most likely, you will have a very sore throat, and jaw. You could have a lot of post-op pain because of the amount of work done.

http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/genera ... ental.html
normaM
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by normaM »

I've had sleep dentistry ( wonderful) and now I get a tiny pill I take an hour before the appointment, they can do anything as there is no pain and I leave there refreshed and unstressed. Way easily than IVs, etc.
Tips for surviving the heat wave.
Drink lots of water
Don't test me

Return to “Health”